What has happened to the English Languge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Bomb, Aug 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you find that speaking in full, unbroken, and lacking in modern slang English, is considered outl

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The worst type of uni student is the mum. We get it, you have a kid but guess what, no one cares. Its not our fault to let yourself get knocked up when you were sixteen and now you finally came to uni so you can get that manager position at MacDonalds.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Don't you hate it when young moms try to rub it in your face that they're parents? Big deal, its a biological function to have a child nine months after unprotected sex. What makes them so special? Is it the tramp stamp?

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I'm glad somebody brought this up in the thread concerning the English language.

What happened to the word "nigger," anyway? At what point did it become a racist term?

5. C64

C64 New Member

'Round about the time people started using the word to refer to Africans shipped to the American colonies as slave labor. ("Niger" is the Latin word for the color black.) So, y'know, roughly four hundred years ago. It just took a few centuries for people to start to figure out why they should be ashamed to say it.

6. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Or, better yet, a term that's only racist if white people say it. Blacks can call each others niggers all day long and it's a friendly greeting, but it's instantly hateful if a white does the same?

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Or Asians, or Indians, or Aboriginals, or...

8. C64

C64 New Member

It's called linguistic reappropriation. Plenty of groups have reclaimed derogatory words used against them by giving them more positive meanings when used within their own group. Gay, queer, dyke, butch, heeb, and redneck all started out as seriously offensive slurs, but through reappropriation they've lost most of their power to hurt. Hell, gay and redneck have been reappropriated so successuflly that now they're pretty much the preferred terms for those particular groups.

But in the case of words like nigger (or squaw, chink, kaffir, etc.) there's way too much history of bigotry and violence attached to the term for it to be reappropriated completely. The best that's been managed so far with nigger is to reappropriate its meaning when used within the black community -- there, it's not a slur, it's a term of endearment and solidarity. When used by anyone not a part of that community, it still carries with it a few centuries' worth of hatred.

9. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I remember when I was walking through Dinglewood one time. I was listening to a bit of Johnny Cash on my Ipod. All of a sudden I was set upon by a family of niggers. The Mother was huge. I mean, tits bigger than my head. The two boys were very aggressive and showed an almost "Ape like" sense of territorial superiority. The father was one of them black people who are so black you can almost see through them. The kind of black that your TV goes when you turn it off.
    Anyway, before I know it, im getting pushed and shoved by one of the kids while he says the sentence "Come here honkey!". I mean, instantly I know they were all going to be thick as fuck for two reasons. Reason 1: They are black. Reason 2: The kid is pushing me away and saying "Come here!".
    So, I say in an ever so brave and traditionally white manner, "How can I help you?" The child said, "Ain't no honkey come through here boy, this is black man territory." At this point my patience is wearing thin and I snap. "Who are you people supposed to be the Crosby Family?"
    Of course they then beat me to within an inch of my life, but the moral of the story here is that I feel the better man for not using violence to solve the isue. No no, I left that for the police. Infact, the police were pretty violent. What's interesting is the fact that I came out of it with a few broken ribs, a lot of bruising and some bleeding in my brain which was drained and luckily I suffered no brain damage. One of the kids was however killed by the cops.
    True story.

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Not true. That sentence of your is false.

11. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I just realised that I might have just given everyone a reason to like niggers.

12. C64

C64 New Member

See, it's funny 'cause it's racist! Why, your humor is just so avant-garde and ironic in its approach to mindless bigotry that SHUT UP.

13. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

You should have said that, then we wouldn't have to listen to your drivel.

*sighs* fixed.

14. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

15. C64

C64 New Member

Why, do you wear a white hood when you're out on the lake, too?

16. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

No I don't wear a white hood. I am infact I am resting a dead black baby on my head. I don't leave home without it! Though, it does kick up a stink...

17. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

So you proudly sport a coon-skin hat? You're a regular pioneer.

18. C64

C64 New Member

Oh Rodney, you so zany! It almost makes up for you trying to cover for being a racist by couching your bigotry in bad internet humor!

19. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Look. I'm sorry ok? I'm sorry.
    Sorry your a coon lipped nigger lover that can't see the bigger picture.
    And no Gross, in reality, I don't wear a dead baby on my head.

20. C64

C64 New Member

The bigger picture being a small-minded twit using the anonymity the internet affords him to give free reign to his inner klansman?

I went to school with card-carrying KKK members. My great-grandfather kept an axe handle behind the counter of his store "just in case any niggers walk in here." I have little tolerance for bigots, pretend or otherwise. You aren't being postmodern and edgy, you're just being racist.

Our Host!