1070 patch does not work well

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ther, Nov 2, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ther

Ther New Member

After patching the game with original 1070 patch, I encountered the funny thing: the game crashes when I try to barter or look in the follower's packs. Moreover - the crash may happen after 3-5 retries or may happen right with the first attempt!! But it crashes anyway. As well, sometimes it crashes while trying to save.

As far as the game runs fine under Windows 2000, I think it's a bug concerned with my hardware or drivers.. Have anybody ran the game on KT133a/Duron/GeForce2/Vortex2 or alike? Or maybe somebody did have the same problem?

Damn, I wanna play 1070, as it's much advanced than 1064 (which actually does not crash!!)

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The latest patch is 1.0.7.4 Try that, it fixes a lot of bugs, and adds a couple of things.

3. Ther

Ther New Member

Will there be "no-cd" patch for 1074 release?

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

The latest version 10704 has lots of bugs too. Version 10700 is much better.

As of now, there are no no-cd for 10704.

5. William Walker

William Walker New Member

config

Ther: I run game on Duron 750, 190RAM, GeForce2 and everything is OK (I use both Win 98 and Win2K.....game is faster under Win2K).....what about sound card? or DirectX ? <br>
    IMHO version 1.0.7.0 is better but 1.0.7.4 contains improved WorldEd

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I don't like the 1074 WorldEd. It automatically compresses the files I want to edit manually. I know you can do this with edit but what about start-up location? I know how to do this with the previous version but not with 1074.

7. William Walker

all this files are automatically decompressed in directory c:document and settings[user name]Local SettingsWorldEd Temp Files (or something like this) and there you can alter all files...afters exit worlded and compressing are those files deleted (I use W2K but on others MS OS this will be similar...)

and set starting location is easy...simply right-click on map and from pop-up menu select set start position (or location? :smile: )

8. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Thanks. They didn't pint that in the readme for 1074.

9. Ther

Ther New Member

May I ask you - what drivers you use for GF2, motherboard?
    I installed DirectX 8a.
    Soundcard is Vortex2 with fine-working w2k drivers (at least, no problems were detected before).
    I don't know, what to blame now.. Seems like I doomed to play 1064 :wink:

10. Ioo

Ioo New Member

It doesn't need to work well... it just needs to work... it can either work, or not work... what the hell is not work well?

11. Ther

Ther New Member

The hell is when I try to barter or just look in follower's pack. The game just closes!
    AND - what is strange - the game may close from the first attempt to barter or may let 3-5 attempts, so it closes eventually, but it closes anyway. I can't play 1070 for more than 10 minutes!
    Good is only that I can restart the game right after it closes, it does not crash Windows at all.
    Aye, it seems like my personal problem, or may be some hard/soft conflict..

12. William Walker

For GF2 I use DetonatorXP v21.83 driver...and for motherboard I use standard driver supplied within package

...try run Arcanum with following command line parameter -no3D (maybe this can be run from start menu: start---->programs----->Sierra----->Arcanum---->Arcanum(safe mode))

..or you can try check DirectX (run DxDiag) and start all graphics tests

13. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I had the sound problem that comes long with this and I don't know anything about hardwares.

14. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Well don't barter.. or get a high pick pocket skill, or does that not work too?

15. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

16. Ioo

Ioo New Member

You can actually beat the game without bartering, with some stupid strong melee ogre.

17. Ther

Ther New Member

Well, I already have the expert in pickpocket.. But that damned crashes occur when I try to look in someone's pack as well.
    And what about trading with followers?
    Yes, I can play without any, or use Dog + Automatons.. aye, that's not the way!
    As far as I think now, the NO-CD patch does not work stable on some systems - such as mine.
    By the way, doesn't anyone have the original game? May be, you can post the original Arcanum.exe from the CD??

18. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I don't think they'd allow us to answer that question. Anyway, search for a previous post here about that. Actually, look at my first post here. It'll answer your question.

19. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

Damnit !

Sigh.....
    After installing the 1074 patch , the annoying 'wrong CD inserted ' message kept comin out !!! after trying BOTH cd's 4 times , i just reintalled the whole damn thing :p

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I do not understand the reason for a patch with so many bugs on them. What the hell is the reason for a patch anyway??? I thought it was to IMPROVE gameplay. Not swap one problem for another.......

Our Host!