Aussies, sucks to be you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philes, Jan 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Here in the Netherlands the freedom of speech is getting pretty far. They already remove the ban of blashemphy. Some people will agree that it is important that people in public to express their views and also criticism of a religion can provide. Other will say who uses that freedom to a group of people, as believers, for their deliberately insulting beliefs, goes too far.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

And you can't swear or be naked on TV because?

3. xento

xento New Member

Because you're apparently tuned into the wrong channels.

Also, because full revoking of censorship doesn't happen overnight. That doesn't mean that the USA still isn't pretty lax.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Any public channels will be fined for that sort of content. Sure people may be offended, and I might go as far as to say they should be. But they have no right not to be offended.

Anyway, welcome back CW.

5. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

The worse swearing one can get away with on prime time TV is asshole. Still can't say fuck, shit, motherfucker, or refer to people as various words for genitalia (too many to type out).

As for the nudity, American censors (and it would seem American people as a whole) few sex as sinful and nudity as something to be avoided. I don't understand it myself.

I misinterpreted your post. It seemed like you were saying if we choose strict censorship we'll have a booming economy, but because we have lax censorship our economy sucks.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Canada has lower censorship standards* than the United States and is less damaged by the economic downturn, so I don't think there is a correlation.

Really, if you want a place with lax censorship and an economy at least equivalent to Australia's, Canada is a good place. After all, we're about to face a worker shortage, not a job one.

*See: Trailer Park Boys. There was a movement to bring the show to the United States, but most of the show was too racy for American television. Instead, they made Reno 911.

Also see: Quebec. Man, French television goes so far beyond what English-speaking Westerners consider decent that it's amazing. It's amusing watching a talkshow where a bunch of right-wing individuals complain about the audacity of Miley Cyrus showing her naked back in a photoshoot, or House throwing out an innuendo, and then switching to the French channel and immediately seeing full-on sex.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

...Holy fuck. I wanna move to Canada even more now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!