Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is a WIP problem, but one of the rats in the warehouse that you clear of vermin in Tarant remains courteous towards you, even when you approach it.

Also, has anything been done about magick users being able to boost their stats ridiculously with rings and such while tech users just have to sit around scratching their bollocks?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Found the rat problem: After I figured out which rat you were talking about, I checked him out in WorldEd and discovered that his Kill-on-Sight flag wasn't checked. This means he'll only attack if he sees you killing another rat.
    Although I could easily activate the flag, I think the quirkiness of that "one damned rat" adds a nice touch to the scene.

About the balancing: None were stats are concerned. Weapons and defense - Other than adding a Tesla pistol and the Meca Suit, not much there either.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Playing a Half Ogre gunslinger with high charisma and I can't do the Don Throgg quest. Whenever I try and talk to Don Throgg I just get generic comments floating over his head the actual dialogue won't initiate.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Just did an in-game check on my end and Don's working ok for me.
    Could you get me a copy of your save game? In fact, I'd love one from before and after you talked to Don.
    Something's not allowing his dialog to engage. Maybe I can track down the problem and figure a way to correct this.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I can give you an after, somehow I wiped the before so not much use to you I guess.

But I did try and speak to him before receiving the quest, I picked the lock on the back door and tried to speak to him that may be the cause.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Go ahead and pack it up anyway. I should be able to hack a replica and see if I can trigger the same problem.

7. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hey Rroyo!

Have you ever thought if incorporating "ice" into certain weapons/armor/items?

I mean some of the magical armours and stuff have that blue finish/sheen that looks like ice!

Imagine:

- Cryo-sword, Cryo-Axe :p

Actually....I'm thinking a Medusa Gun would be cool...turns target to stone :p

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Actually I did - back when I first made the Flametongue Sword. I was kicking around an idea about an Ice-Queen and her minions. Fire vs. Ice, baby!
    Sadly, that's all the further it ever got though.

Huh.... Technology that does magick....
    That would be a fun one to explain. (And never mind about the Divine Fire Pistol I stole from Beddoes....)
    Just a thought: The arbalest is so low-tech that it just might be believable to say that one was cursed and now turns folks to stone with a fatal shot.

9. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Not a bad idea when you think about it....

And you could actually have a select choice of Techno-Magic items...perhaps the result of secret experimentation by people who shoudl know better...

Making these items have reasonable "to hit" penalty and making mis-use tantamount to an nasty explosion and big (if not complete) damage to the item might make it a bit more realistic....

Don't forget the "Morlocks and the Eloy" idea :p

Oh and btw....

I FOUND OUT OVER X-MAS THAT I'M GONNA BE A DAD!

10. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Congratulations, FourHorsemen!!! Now we have every Horsemen of the Apocalypse here.

11. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Congrats, FourHorsemen! :thumbup:
    Arthgon beat me to the punch with his comment. Oh well.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I quit!

Two full sectors in the middle of Tarant - GONE!
    From in front of the train station to the middle of Plough's warehouse and north from the docks to the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm tired of fighting with this.

14. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

What caused the disappearances of the two full sectors in the middle of Tarant?

PS: Don't give up rroyo, I know that you can do it!!!

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It's the most common form of a WorldEd saving glitch. One or more sectors in an area revert to their base terrain.

16. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Now that sucks.

You couldn't transfer backup from an older version of the WIP running around and readjust the sectors, right?

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep. Replace the main map with one from an earlier back-up, then redo everything that was lost between then and now.
    I've been doing that and/or area repairs for the past two years.

Imagine doing a mural and everytime you take a break, some kid comes by and smears a section. You repair the damage and kid then targets another spot. And so on and so on.

I'm still undecided if I got enough moxie left in me to keep going, but - since I've managed to resist the temptation to yank the build drive out and throw it away, I think I may have a couple possibilities on why WorldEd keeps doing this.

1) The version we use is a stripped-down one that Troika had. Originally, it appears to have been able to create dialogs, scripting, and even new artwork. One-stop world building.
    When it was released for public use, most of these functions were removed. No idea why. This leaves the possibility of a check command hanging open (don't know what else to call it) and if that check is called and can't finish it's work, the terrain is reverted to it's default form.
    A programmer could probably tear that thought to shreds, but it makes sense to a user like me.

2) The size of the main map. If you do the math there's an absolutely mind-boggling amount of data to be sifted through with every save.
    2000 sectors x 2000 sectors = 4,000,000. Then multiply it by the number of tiles per sector: 64 x 64 = 4096. 4,000,000 x 4096 = 16,384,000,000. Over 16 billion tiles.
    Even with over a third of the map being water, that's a hell of a lot of data to sort through, compare to original, and save as what's supposed to be there.
    All it would take is for a single (binary) 1 to be misread as a 0 at the wrong moment and you've got a glitched sector.
    That's why I'm starting to believe the main map is just too damned big for the hacked-up version of WorldEd to handle on a consistant basis.

I'm tired, frustrated, and annoyed as all hell's get out.
    I almost wish I could go get drunk.
    (/snivelling)

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Aw man, that really sucks. *big hug* You want some whiskey or something? I'm not a drinker myself, but some of my friends occasionally need a drink, so I've got some good stuff around here somewhere...

19. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

No chance of e-mailing Troika and getting your hands on their version then?

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Xiao: :)
    Regretably, I have to pass on the drink, but thanks for the offer.

FourHorsemen: There's always a chance. Most likely though, the original WorldEd is locked away in a file cabinet belonging to whoever bought Sierra. (I forget who.) If that's the case, you'd need some serious money and a smooth-talking lawyer to get a look at it.

Our Host!