Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Welcome to this forum.

It could be possible that you forgot (after installing the whole mod.) to use Drog's Clean cache.

2. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

Erm.. I did do that.

And thanks for the welcoming. ^^

EDIT:
    What i did was.. Install Arcanum > Patch it with 1074 > Unpacked this to my arcanum folder > placed arcanumpatch01 at arcanum/modules folder. I did it right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[img=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2541/arc1.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/415/arc2v.th.jpg]

EDIT2
    Should i also install the unofficial patch? o_O

EDIT 3:
    I haven't installed the UAP. and.. I tried placing the Arcanumpatch1 at /arcanum/modules/arcanum. it also didn't work.

EDIT 4:
    placing the module at that folder made it not to work so i remade it and placed it back to /arcanum/modules. Cleared the cache but still, it blacks out whenever i try to look at the new backgrounds.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome xtanelli!

First off - Do NOT install the UAP! You cannot run A:WIP and UAP together.

The black-out - It sounds like the game engine tries to access the Arcanum5.dat but can't quite do it.
    Since you have a game running, here's a way to check and get your map marked at the same time: Talk to Virgil and choose "Ask a question". After he says "What can I answer for you?" you should see a listing for "Mark my map." If you do see this, then have him mark both original and new locations. And....What's causing the black-out remains a mystery.
    If this dialog option is not there, then the source of the black-out is probably what I mentioned above and the only way to fix it is a complete uninstall and reinstall.

The books: The one in the cheat-chest is an easy way for me to see if the new town or dungeon listings line up properly. Ignore it. The Atlas of Arcanum is also found in the Tarant Library and has map-marking capability.
    The other one (by the wine bottle) is a build-log highlighting the changes made for that particular release. Older copies are stored inside the Shrouded Hills Temple.

Which is exactly where it needs to be. The pictures you posted show the correct placement.

Edit: Just for the hell of it, rename the Arcanum5.dat to XArcanum5.dat and download the extra backgrounds into your Arcanum folder.
    Double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat and start a new game.
    See if you still have the same problem.

4. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

The dialogue of Virgil marking the map doesn't show, i'll try to delete it again and re-install them alltogether again.

If that still doesn't work, i'll do the renaming of arcanum5.dat

Though what if everything worked except the map marking of virgil?

Thanks again in advance ^^

EDIT:
    1 more minor thing.. You know when you take a rest? Last time i was playing, whenever i take a rest, the time just fast forwards to the amount of time you've chosen to rest.. but not it seems that.. the screen blacks out and after the rest, the screen will go back to normal?

Is there something wrong with the game? or that how it works? I really want to see it to just fast forward the time rather than blacking out then resumes after it rests..

EDIT 2:
    I reinstalled and everything, still, i get that dreaded black screen and now, it's considered as an error >_<. I'll look around for the BGs and try the other work-around :D

EDIT 3:
    I downloaded some custom BGs in the net and renamed the file, it worked and lets me use the custom ones. Now i'm curious as to what your Arcanum5.dat contains? will renaming and adding other custom BGs other than yours make conflict with the module as a whole?

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

(shudders) That would be a fun one to debug...

Edit 1: That's normal. Black-out and time passes. Can't help you on getting the visualization of time passage.

Edit 3 : Fantastic! Did it clear up your display problem - "those squares that has black and stuff on it "?

The extra backgrounds addition is just that. Oh, there's some new scripting and artwork buried in there but it's just the 6.0 Arcanum5.dat with a few more entries in the backgrounds files. That means using this new dat you'll lose the Wandering Merchants and the 6.0 bug-fixes, but the new scenery will be available.

Renaming and adding new backgrounds: It shouldn't - but I can't make any promises.

Enjoy!

6. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

Ok.. so i got the backgrounds moving.. it's good and all, but i can live without it >_< I'd still go for my lvl Halfling-Beat with ugly stick melee, i got both melee and dodge master @ lvl 10, imagine that :D

Anyways.. The display problem is ok now since i had my video card improved, WAY more. lol

As for the black-out time during Rests.. it wasn't like that, it's just this now and i really like to get the old one back.. The screen doesn't black-out, the time just FASTFORWARDS a whole lot, you'll see the meter that dictates time going fast.

Lastly, the map-marking still doesn't work, sadly. I though i could use it to my advantage on my lvl 15 TechieMage Teleport type. Lol

[​IMG]
    By xtanelli at 2010-01-06

EDIT: Sorry for the VERY large picture.. but that shows that the chests are there but Virgil won't mark my map >_<Also>_< any idea?

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Good deal! :thumbup:

Not so good. This is a really wierd glitch I've never heard of before. :/

Not good at all! Based on what I'm seeing in the picture, the Arcanum5.dat is not being read.
    Directly below "What should we be doing now?" is the "Mark my map" option.

What follows is not a slight to your intelligence but rather I'm just covering all the bases.
    If you assumed you needed to rename the packed DAT that contains the extended backgrounds, then you've made a grave error. The main Arcanum folder should now have packed DATs named Arcanum1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 - and possibly a folder named XArcanum5.dat.
    Double-check this, and if you need to correct the listing, use the Drog'sCleanCache.bat, and try the game again.
    In the backgrounds you should see listings like Failed Womanizer, Absent-minded Inventor, and Retired Sniper.
    If you see these, great. Continue on with a new creation, talk to Virgil, and see if the map-marking option comes up.
    If you don't see the new backgrounds, let me know. I'll try to think of something.

Edit -
    Xiao: Great news!

Everyone else: There is a bad glitch on the damned map. I'm killing the link posted above and falling back to an earlier save.
    Damnit.......

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Romance update!

Well, the Christmas and New Years parties have finally worked their way out of my system, and apart from the distracting (and frightening) factor of my sudden acquisition of Fangirls on DeviantArt, I will be concentrating on finishing up the Arronax romance in the near future. The female string WILL be finished within the week, hopefully with the male string to follow immediately afterwards.

Ever tried writing the steamy bits while sharing a house with your parents? It's not easy...

9. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

Should the Arcanum5.dat be a folder or a .DAT file? and should the Arcanum.PATCH1 also a folder or a .PATCH1 file? If those aren't supposed to be folders, then THAT's the problem.

'Coz they are folders when i installed them.

About the resting..
    I didn't know it was a glitch T_T. I thought it's supposed to work that way, I liked it that way, I can see what's happening as the time fast forwards to the time you specified.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Since you originally downloaded from the link on this page, you would have had folders. In order to get your game working, I had you replace the Arcanum5.dat folder with a packed version. So, now you have one of each.
    And the hack will play unpacked. The start time is a bit longer but there's normally no problem.

BTW: The main map in what you have is glitched. There is a large corrupted area just east of Thanatos and entirely too close for my liking. Where there's one, there's usually another, so if your game continues to give you problems, and you're willing to continue exploring my work, I'd suggest getting rid of your current version, then go to page one of this thread, and get the 6.0 release with the extended backgrounds.

11. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

So i did what you said.. still, virgil won't mark my map and the backgrounds still don't work.

Am i really the only one that is experiencing this problem? >_<

I re-installed Arcanum, patched it, then unpacked you mod. Followed the instructions @ page 1 of this thread and still. I can't use the background, a chest did however appear @ the crash site.

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

So it would seem.
    I must admit, I'm at a complete loss on what to do next. You've done everything right and it's still not working. I suppose there could be something about your computer that's keeping the Arcanum.exe from reading the Arcanum5.dat but I just don't know. :(

13. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

Hmm.. I might need to buy another copy of the game maybe? The copy i have is.. from.. like i think.. either 2001.. or 2002/3.. So it's REALLY old and has scratches on it? Would that even give rise to problems? >_<

But since that time, i haven't seen any other copy of this game on stores. Will DLing it on Torrent sites, i know it might be piracy of sorts, help me out on it? :(

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Do not ask about torrents or pirating games on this forum, especially not Arcanum. EVER. This is the only warning you'll get - the men in charge get very angry about such things, as well they ought to.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

16. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

I know, that's why i pointed it also that i don't want to do it.. That's why i asked for some help in that matter.

I'm still looking for a copy here at my country, philippines. for the time being, i'll play an unmodded one. :D

Thanks for your help rroyo :p

17. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

GLad to see you re-ignitingthe engines Rroyo! If you need any extra ideas, you know I'm easy :p

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yeah, I finally got this busted bitch running again. :p
    And I'll keep you in mind, although you've already listed enough stuff to make three more mods!

19. guenthar

guenthar New Member

xtanelli: Are you using Windows Vista or Windows 7?

20. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

Erm.. I'm using.. XP? I'm not that literate on PCs anymore since i stopped tinkering with them :D

Sorry for the oh so late reply, i was out playing the game, made a character that reach both Master Dodge and Melee before lvl 15. Lol Agility of Fire is my best friend :D

Our Host!