The Let's Play Pirates! voting thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grakelin, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Just for Yuki, here is the token interface screenshot:

[​IMG]

This also provides a great test for me. Apparently, none of these screenshots will break the thread dimensions. Excellent.

So, our adventure begins, and there is a mutiny, and the crew elects an 18 year old to captain the ship! Excellent! The wind starts quickly, and we're in St. Martin before I can even take a screenshot. The Governor gives us a Letter of Marque and tells us to go war with the English. We may or may not decide to do so.

[​IMG]

He's also sending a Brig ('Alarm') to blockade St. Kitts! He's really anxious to get us to go. This is a Democratic ship, however (at least until Vorak takes over), and by God, I'll be discussing this with my crew first!

Speaking of which, I go to the local tavern to go find some more crew members.

[​IMG]

Seventeen enlist in total. Pictured here, from left to right, are Muro, Zanza, and Rroyo. The guy in the back is Jarinor. He decides not to come, and later a tree gets him.

Below is our Flagship, the Brigantine 'Treebane'. While the name may seem arrogant, I will note that a number of trees were indeed destroyed to construct the vessel. Brigantines are actually quite good as pirate vessels. I'm glad we got this, instead of a sloop or a fluyt (no joke, in 1600 or 1620, the Dutch are assigned a fluyt. The thing barely even moves).

[​IMG]

We also got a tip from the local barmaid about a famed pirate (L'Olonnais, I believe) hanging out in a Pirate Haven near Margarita (see below on the map - he lives on the peninsula East of said city), but I neglected to take a screenshot.

As far as I see, we have three choices. We can

A) Join the Dutch in raiding the English Settlement of St. Kitts
    B) Go Bounty Hunting, and capture L'Olonnais
    C) Ignore both tasks and just plunder enemies on the ocean.

[​IMG]

If you choose C, also provide details on what sort of enemies we shall plunder. Right now, Holland is at war with England and Spain. Spain is at war with England, and has a treaty with France. Attacking the Spanish will please Holland and England, but anger the French. Attacking England will please Spain and Holland. We can also attack pirates, which will please everyone, but might not be as profitable.

To vote on C, just pick one faction to attack, and one faction to ignore. Each ignore vote will cancel out an attack vote. You can choose not to vote for one or the other, but you only get one in each category.

EDIT: Each of the three options need three votes to win. If it's C, I'll just target whatever enemies get the most votes.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Whoa, do I look awesome or what! I bet all the guys on the Bane of Tree will be mine in not time. Mrowr.

B) Let us hunt for LOLonnais.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

B - He may have a better ship to upgrade to!

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The crew has chosen to hunt for L'Olonnais by a slim margin! So, off we go, southward. I'll stop by at a couple towns to pick up men. I stop by the French city of Guadelope first, where we pick up 33 crewmen, learn about Martinique (some trivial trading information), and the barmaid tells us more about Lollercakes.

[​IMG]

He also has a Brigantine, the Blood Debt. Sadly, this is not an upgrade. Maybe he'll have upgrades on the ship, however!

We only have 10 gold, so I'll post this up now and have a vote on whether to attack a passing ship on the way or not. First one to post wins. If yes, include the target, please.

UPDATE: Apparently, our fellow Dutch lost the battle in St. Kitts. As of February 1, 1640, we are no longer at war with England.

UPDATE2: Too late to vote, actually. We arrive at L'Olonnais before ever seeing another ship (except for several Spanish trade vessels near his town). We go for the attack!

[​IMG]

The cannon battle goes poorly for us. We lose no men, but we do lose 6 of our cannons. We smash into the enemy ship, grab our cutlasses, and go on board!

[​IMG]

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The Blood Debt be a fine ship matey! Duel Lollercakes, I'll hold off anyone looking to intervene.

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The battle was fierce indeed! Unfortunately, my hands were too tied up to take screenshots (maybe I should lower the difficulty for this reason). In the end, though, after many near-fatal blows from both sides, L'Olonnais felt the sting of my blade!!

Also, a bunch of good men died, but that just means more booty for us!

Zanza's swordsmanship netted us Lollercake's esteemed Navigator, Charonte. In exchange for not telling anybody Zanza beat him at a swordfight, Charonte will join our crew! A fine officer he will be!

[​IMG]

We make an amazing booty off of Lollercake's ship. Each of us is richer than we could ever have imagined! Well, not quite, but it's quite good. I take everything for now, since the town is nearby. We can decide what to do with it once we arrive.

[​IMG]

Also, yes, we lost 58 men in the battle. What of it? All of our officers, the people who matter, are still alive! Also, Zanza, Muro, and Rroyo get nice promotions as a result of this conquest. Fine warriors they are.

Once in Ville de Tresor, we recruit some more crew, many weak fools from Lollercake's army. I also take the liberty of spending 1500 gold on some medicinal herbs. I hope nobody minds, but I can't save the game for a vote when the shady character is talking, and I assumed nobody would mind my spending money on a longer life.

Also, I get a juicy tip from the barmaid. There's a Spanish Trade Galleon with over 1,000 pieces of gold!

[​IMG]

Here is the current state of our fleet.

[​IMG]

The first choice we must make is what to do with our excess fleet and materials? Here are the choices as far as I can see:

A) Repair and Keep Both Ships
    B) Repair and Keep Treebane, sell 18 tons of cargo
    C) Repair and Keep Blood Debt, sell 18 tons of cargo

Blood Debt has a few more upgrades, though it lacks grape shot. If we DO pick C, also suggest a new name for the ship. It needs to embody our Arcanum presence, after all.

The second choice is where to go from here? Here is how I see it thus far:

A) Get that Spanish Ship with all the dubloons
    B) Get the Pirate Captain to attack a nearby settlement, and follow them in conquest (If so, choose also Margarita, Barbados, Curacao, or Martinique, most votes wins)
    C) Randomly sail the ocean, attacking ships without warrant (choose a faction as a target)

First to three wins in both cases.

EDIT: Accidentally left the game without saving, had to revert to the auto-save that occurs when entering a city (handy that). Everything I said above applies, except instead of medicinal herbs, we got some free information about Curacao. Whoops.

10. heehaw666

heehaw666 New Member

11. Charonte

Charonte Member

Bit late, heehaw!

Being your esteemed navigator might I suggest B followed by A?

And the irony!

12. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Ignore this post... didn't click the next page button before posting.

I am a retard.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yarr!

A - Renaming the Blood Debt to Steambane and making it our flagship for our ever growing pirate fleet.

A - Sink that ship and take its cargo, we shall need the gold to upgrade for grape shot.

14. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I'd say keep both ships and go for the dubloons.

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

B.) and A.)

Fix the noble Treebane and then loot those Spaniards. They started (or are gonna start, whichever) the Inquisition, you should take them for every dubloon they've got.

16. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Fools! Do you not see the Blood Debt is a more durable ship? There will be mutiny!

18. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Yes, but the Blood Debt doesn't have grapeshot.

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Grapeshot is overrated, and easily bought, its the economical choice. Yarr!

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Mock not the power of grapeshot, my dear boy. (Oh look, my inner war historian pricked up her ears!) It's one of the nastiest inventions in all history, and was particularly effective in all but wiping out the Scots at Culloden.

Our Host!