New Forum Rule

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Vorak, Oct 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'll agree that thread sorta got out of hand, but luckily I only get outside-company internet at home, so I knew I was safe.

3. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

And here I thought Drog was hated for trying to moderate this forum.

4. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Well, you could always make -me- a moderator. Then Vorak, Xz and Drog will all look like sunshine and roses.

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

The issues with Drog had more to do with the whole not talking with the other admins about his new rule, not writing about it somewhere reasonably visible, and banning on its account without warning. None of which has happened here.

Edit to add: Huh, hadn't figured out it was actually you when I posted that, Drog. Maybe it will help you understand why we were less than pleased with the whole thing?

6. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

That particular case was just the last straw in building up the tensions.

Drog was interested in making the community more newcomer-friendly, i.e. reducing the hazing of newbies and the off-topic spam/circle-jerk (e.g. any variation of Xiao's usual "I'll show you, you newbie!" followed up by papadog's "you go, girl!" and so on and so forth). Guess, that wasn't welcomed by the oldbies.

But I digress. Drog's not around anymore, so it's all irrelevant.

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Well, T-A isn't like all the other forums out there. We're xenophobic. Though the arcanum section might do good from being more friendly, but meh.

8. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

I've seen many newbies being disgusted by the attitude. This community could have been much larger if it weren't for that.

Oh, and I'm talking about the Arcanum sections specifically. Nobody tried to moderate the GD. Until now, that is.

9. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Well, I do agree with Drog about keeping the Arcanum sections reasonably free of deliberate dickishness towards the newbies who come here to ask about the game. In theory, that section is what House of Lords is for. Emphasis on theory of course.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I have no appreciation for the wanton hazing of newcomers. I'm glad that attitude has relaxed.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

But...but....this is HoL, I don’t know, but we always have acted this way. So we can't just change all the sudden, and become user-friendly. *goes to sulk in his room*

Edit: Yes. I know I am a bit old fashioned.

12. TheDavisChanger

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If everyone turns in happy go lucky pansies who go easy on newbs I'll delete the forum. Yes you should answer their question, but there should be much hazing, flaming and derision involved.

Being nice was never an aim here and all the Arcanum sites that were nice died long ago the bastardry model has kept us going for the better part of a decade now.

14. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

That's right, this is HoL, and we are going to stay like this forever!

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Most of the hazing goes on in the 'general discussion' subforum, anyways. I'm not sure about anybody else, but I've personally never gone into the Arcanum Discussion forum looking to flame newbies.

Also, I'm confused. Is Elder Joachim the same person as Drog? If so, why is he talking in third person? Being a faux quitter and just coming back with a new account is one thing, openly stating 'hey, I'm back with a new account, starting with clean slate now' is something different entirely.

And I don't think it's going to solve any problems with tension.

16. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Well, I can only hope that you enjoy your elitist circle-jerk (and less than 1 post per day in the Arcanum sections). To each his own, as they say. Drog was interested in promoting Arcanum, making it a more popular game, keeping it alive. Just take a look at how many people joined because of the UAP and the high-resolution patch.

This account is actually older than DBT. Also, in case you weren't aware, Drog is/was a persona, not a person.

17. TheDavisChanger

Not that there has been any serious discussion on the matter, but I have yet to see any justification as to why senior members of The House must haze newcomers.

There have been a number of newcomers to the community lately and they've actually been welcomed courteously. The House has suffered in no way as far as I can tell. Being kind to the newcomers has not encouraged troublesome or obnoxious individuals from polluting our discussions. In most cases, the newcomers have had their questions answered and disappeared again as quickly as you like. Others have been participating in our discusssions, although this is not to say that they wouldn't have hung around and participated had they not been hazed.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

To be honest, I never considered 'hazing' or 'flaming' newbies to be a form of xenophobic removal. If anything, it's been more of a running joke. Conflict only comes in when somebody doesn't get the joke, and oftentimes (especially recently) somebody mentions to them that when we say 'fuck off', we're not being serious.

Joachim/Drog/Whatever: Thank you for that informative statement, but whether I sign my name as 'Grakelin', 'Magnus Magnarsson', or 'godhatesjews98', I am still the same person. If you're going to Bunbury, at least do it properly.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

So is the person behind the Elder Joachim persona the same person who was behind Drog Black Tooth or not? Quit beating around the bush (heh) and answer the question. Hell, even a 'I'm not going to divulge that information' or a 'fuck off and mind your own business' is better than smartarsery.

20. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think this is one of those rare moments where Xiao and I see eye to eye. I propose an immediate archive of this thread for historical purposes.

Our Host!