Anyone played the first Divine Divinity? Does it have depth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwh, Aug 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jwh

jwh New Member

Noticed this for sale online and almost bought it - seemed somewhat like Arcanum and other games I've liked....

Anyone played it and have feedback?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

"First"? There was a sequel?
    :spends a minute in Wikipedia:
    Dear god.

Just thought I'll share my confusion. Haven't played it, so no feedback from me, though.

3. techyguy

techyguy New Member

Yes

Yes It has Incredible depth. It is not a Diablo clone at all. The music is some of the best I'v heard. You can even buy a house later. It is definitly worth a buy, eve with Divinity 2 coming out in a couple months. I has been dubbed as Ultima gameplay done right. The Divine Divinity sequal was not rated as good. (The sequal years ago, not the true sequal coming out in a few months.)

Hint: People on Divinity forum recommend that warriors go with sword.

4. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

It was a nice/fun game. But if you want all the customization and depth of Arcanum, you won't find it.

The story is compelling, the combat is a nice mix of tactics and real-time, and there is nice humor in game.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I enjoyed the original DD, BD however is garbage, don't even think about getting it.

DD is similar to Arcanum in that it has a large continuous world. It also has high interactivity, i.e. you can pick up most of random items in people's houses, almost like in Morrowind. Don't have enough lockpick skill to open a chest? Put it in your inventory and try later. Found some rolls of straw? Now you can make a hay bed wherever you wish.

The combat is almost identical to Diablo, click left button to attack, right button to cast a spell. Sometimes, the combat gets too tedious and tiresome, though. The game's also poorly balanced, so some character builds are much more powerful than the others. There's a lot of combat, so if you don't like hack'n'slash, you won't enjoy it. There are no followers, but you can summon or resurrect monsters, and then make them follow you via another skill.

The setting is sadly very generic and unoriginal, and the story is also very cliched: you're a chosen one, who must stop the ancient evil from awakening. The main quest is very linear as well. Optional quests are where the game really shines. Most of them are non-linear and have multiple solutions. Moreover, they encourage exploration.

The dialogs are mediocre at best, though. Writing looks amateurish, and I didn't like the humor, the game tried too hard to be funny, in my opinion. The graphics are very pleasing though, very nice 2D, with large, nicely animated sprites. The soundtrack is rather original, and is pretty impressive at times.

All in all, the game has many flaws, but it's worth playing if you love old-school isometric RPGs, exploration and can stand hack'n'slash.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I once almost bought this game, but was talked out of it by the sales associate, who said that it had so many bugs, playability isn't terribly possible. I later purchased it on clearance, tried to install it, couldn't get it to run, and have now evidently lost the disks. That's my experience, hopefully yours is better. :)

7. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Sounds like another game we discuss a lot around here. (Except Arcanum goes out of its way to play with the tropes and keep them out of "cliche" territory.)

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I played it when I was 14 and I didn't find anything wrong with the writing!

9. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Loved the first one, loathed the second. Gameplay is fairly unbalanced no matter what build you play, and graphics are subpar, but back when it first came out it was a decent Diablo clone.

10. RayCide

RayCide New Member

The reason that dialogues/voices suck is because it was all made by people who aren´t native speakers of English. That´s why it feels odd.

I enjoyed Divine Divinity a lot. I really like the exploration, the combat, the humour etc. Near the end it gets a bit tedious with too much hack & slash... I can´t say that I´ve much trouble with bugs or crashes (at least what I remember). I´ve only finished it once and it was a long time ago.

Beyond Divinity I didn´t like at all. The exploration aspect is almost gone, combat is clunky and tedious... not fun to play at all. Although I liked the art direction (reminded me a bit of PlaneScape) and the skill system is also very good. And some parts of plot are interesting (ok, FEW parts but still).

There´s a new one that should be released shortly called Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, which looks a bit interesting. I´m guessing that as they numbered this as the second, they are regarding Beyond as a bad dream.

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Actually, Divinity 2 and Beyond Divinity were always seperate projects. Beyond Divinity was more like a side-part.

At least as I know.

12. RayCide

RayCide New Member

Yeah, I knew that too, was just trying to be funny. :)

13. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Gotta see that point funny or not, Beyond Divinity was a little mess.

Our Host!