punishment by banhammer

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jarislajfr, Apr 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Ban this account, and we'll be on the road to finding out? :p

So, wait, you run RPGCodex also?

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

RPG Codex is like a retirement home for T-A Admins, only unlike a retirement home its full of dangerous psychos.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Much like T-A in other words?

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Face it, we're Codex Lite most of the time.

5. DarkFool

I was going to make a reference here, but I just realized that my joke would make sense to only Americans, and a few at that, so it's been abandoned. Instead you read this, and I'm laughing at you for having done so.

Btw, when I said "Ban this account" to DU, I meant Soviet's current account. Not mine. I'm quite content with my current account. :)

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Meta joke construction humor is rarely funny DF.

See?

7. DarkFool

That wasn't mean to make you laugh. I am laughing at you for having read it. I find it quite humorous. :)

8. soviet314

soviet314 New Member

not to disturb the offtopic conversation, but setting PHP up to send a single "read-only ban for X days" mail and actually lifting the useless IP ban or at least stating the read-only ban somewhere would have really helped and prevented this post. I'm sorry to illustrate my point about IP bans, proxys, TOR and user ID spam in this fashion, but this thread derails into nothing :(

DarkUnderlord, DarkFool, there is no point in using proxy lists. TOR provides every user with the possibility to make his internet access a proxy and an exit point for other TOR users. a sufficient number of exit points is run by households with DSL/broadband which don't appear in proxy lists.
    additionally, a user needs 1 second to change the exit point. there is next to no limit on how often a user does that.

9. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or did soviet swap another account?

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Out of the 20 IPs you've posted from that I've just checked, 18 of them show up in proxy and/or blacklists. That means 18 out of 20 times you tried to post, your account would've been auto-banned. You would then have to re-register. If you tried to re-register with another listed IP you would've been blocked too and have to re-register again. That means you would've only gotten through twice with 18 failed registration attempts.

Generally, if you can connect to the port, everyone else has already connected to the port and if that's the case, it's already on a blacklist. The 1 out of 10 times you did get through wouldn't be a problem to deal with and you'll be spending a lot of time fucking around looking for that one open IP that isn't on any blacklist anywhere that allows you to browse before we knock it out manually and you have to hunt around again.

Oh and by the way, I can get a list of TOR exit nodes any time I want.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Shit, son, I'm pretty sure somebody just went and got TOLD.

12. DarkFool

That was a very impressive yelling-at. Jlt, you're currently not-banned. Why not just lurk/be quiet for awhile, and hope it stays that way?

13. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

You have a glaring knack for stating the painfully obvious, I'll give you that. Don't ever change Arthgon.

Our Host!