Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Zanza, Apr 22, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Toss up between posting this here or modules and as my coin landed on heads I choose here. I remember years ago when the game first came out that multiplayer was terrible, if you could even get a game going. I think I read some comments when I was browsing the forum to get up to speed with who is cool and who isn't when I noticed people saying the servers will just not play anymore.

Point of this thread is has anyone tried a different program to run mulitplayer games? I recently downloaded GameRanger yesterday and it has worked well with playing Age of empires 2 with some of my friends. According to GameRanger, Arcanum is supported. Has anyone tried this client before or even Xfire to get a game going or has there just not been enough progress in that department?

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

tl; dr.

It doesn't work.

Actually, I think someone got it to work awhile back, read through the old threads, and for the love of GOD do NOT dig them up!

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Even if you get it to work there is the massive obstacle of just how bad multiplayer gameplay is.

4. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
  5. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

short for "too long; didn't read"

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think it was more a question of

"What?? Two paragraphs is too long for you? What is wrong with you?"

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

When I know what it says from the topic? tl; dr.

8. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

I got the multiplayer to work with a VPN connection between Windows XP and Vista, over the internet with a friend.

The game would of been just fine for multiplayer, if xp was shared. However, xp is based on dmg you do. Another issue is real time, no turn based in Multiplayer. Also each person has to wait for the other person to get done talking to the npc before the other person can talk and accept the quest. In conclusion the game was not ment for multiplayer and should not be played in multiplayer mode with friends. I'd only recommend playing in multiplayer mode for the maps as a single player.

Our Host!