Most regreted PC game purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WB Steamcock, Mar 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I've had two mechanical issues with DSes.

My left shoulder button no longer responds. I've purchased another button but have yet to desolder the old and solder the new.

My girlfriend's DS stopped turning on and I cracked it open to find that a capacitor had come loose. I soldered that back on, restoring functionality to her DS, but in the process of disassembling and reassemlbing her DS, I managed to break one of the pins in her video ribbon cable so her top screen is nothing but vertical lines. She accuses me of breaking her DS, but as it is less broken than when I was given it, I insist that I modded it.

2. xElatOth

xElatOth New Member

You make a very valid point.
    However, as was described in the book 'singularity', PC power will not increase at the current rate, but exponentially!
    And.. in my experience, developers tend to FORCE these reqs in their newest games, whether needed or not.
    Case in point is the newly released Demigod. Yes, it plays very well at med-high settings on my rig, but then again, I have a pretty fast rig...
    6 months ago, it was top-notch and ALREADY I am at medium settings... How long before I have to run new games at their lowest settings?
    Well, I own both as well and I believe it is too easy to wreck the screen on the PSP!
    The DS is a bit sturdier and the clamshell design helps a lot with that.
    The PSP is too bulky for my tates as well (but that is just personal preference.)

* As to their comparisons - everyone already covered the differences well.
    I am a huge RPG fan and their are great offerings on both:
    PSP - has star ocean games :D as well as some others (god of war was cool - although not an rpg)
    DS - has chrono trigger and a boat load of others cool games (mario, zelda, professor layton, etc)
    All in all I do not play either much, but pick up my DS way more often as I find the PSP, much like the PS3 suffers from a severe lack of exclusives that suit my tastes, but their both cool in their own right

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Star Ocean fan! *glomps xElatOth* How much fun is First Departure? *snicker*

I have Phantasy Star Portable on preorder, I'd have gotten it yesterday but EB Games' head office are being cunts and being slow to send it down here. I need to pick up my copy before Sunday or I am very much fucked, which basically means if it's not in tomorrow I'm going to have to skip class to go pick it up. (Which I wouldn't care about, except everything is supposed to step up a gear or two from next week.)

New Phantasy Star makes me almost as happy as DECENT new Star Ocean would make me. Portable Phantasy Star? My little cup runneth the fuck over.

EDIT: Scratch the above comment about EB Games Head Australian Offices. I just got a call to go pick my copy up. Oh god, now my assignments will never get finished...

4. xElatOth

xElatOth New Member

I completely understand! When I was in college I missed many lectures, labs, etc to stay home and play a new game..lol.

I remember when Oblivion 1st came out - I think I went to 1 out of 7 classes in 2 weeks :-o

Luckily, I have always been good at playing catch up, but in my last semester I was neck deep in my Biology research thesis (on mRNA transcription of all things) and I continually missed key lectures to play games..lol
    Oh well... Games were more fun!

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

That's a common issue. If your DS is under a year old and the serial number is still visible you can send it to Nintendo for repairs free of charge. They'll even slap another year's warranty on it for you.

6. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

How the hell do you "glomp" someone? [/offtopic]

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

It's odd. No matter how much I talk about Star Ocean, none of my friends have even heard of it.

8. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've only played SO2, but I've heard great things about the rest of the franchise.

@Grimm: Think of a tackle-hug.
    Here's a decent definition.
    Also, here.

9. xElatOth

xElatOth New Member

To be honest, a couple of them are basically non-games (i.e. all fmv)
    This is my complaint with many of the FF games as well (although 3 and 7 were great and 10 was pretty good as well)

But the latest PSP star Ocean was a good game IMO...
    I am not a HUGE star ocean fan, but.. really there are so few great RPGs now-a-days that beggers can't be choosers :p

*** EDIT ***
    Ooo! A bit off topic, but speaking of crap games vs. good games...

I for one, can NOT wait for the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins!
    I know it will not be akin to Baldur's Gate, but in today's market, it will be the closest thing IMO...

Who is with me? :)

10. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Downloaded Toribash today, after like a year of hiatus. Weird, that stuff is like riding a bike. You just never forget how to play it.

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Star Ocean 1 was short but wonderful, with colourful characters and a great plot.

Star Ocean 2 was very long but worth every second, especially considering that you can earn like 80-something different endings. Epic wiiiiiiin.

Star Ocean 3 was more a string of cut-scenes than a game, and the plot went bat-shit fucking insane at the beginning of the second disc and basically tried to invalidate all the awesome of 1 and 2. The only good thing about that game was Albel Nox - he was a special kind of nuts.

I'm not even going to bother with the new Star Ocean, apparently it's more of the same (i.e. following in SO3's footsteps) and the only reason I have any love of the series left is because I have the PSP re-releases of the first two games, which are FUCKING WIN.

Our Host!