What patches / mods do you recommend for new player ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by dig314, Jan 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dig314

dig314 New Member

Years ago, I started Arcanum and never finished it. I guess I have more patience now for these types of games. So in essence, I am new a player.

What mods and patches do you recommend? I am not a purist - - I have no problems playing "unofficial content."

Thank you for your time.

Dig

2. Koorac

Koorac New Member

If you just want a normal playthrough you should install the official 1.0.7.4 patch and the Unofficial Arcanum Patch (UAP).
    Otherwise I'd recomment rroyo's A:WIP.
    All those files can be found in the download section in the Arcanum section.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

What he said. The unofficial patch makes the game what it was meant to be rather then what became of it in the end.

The vanilla version with the 1.0.7.4 patch is still quite buggy. Hardcore players claim these bugs and glitches added to the flavor of the game, allowing for things like keeping temporary followers until the end of the game, exploiting bugged items to tip the game balance in the player's favor and even exploiting a certain combination of spells to create a permanent army of undead/mind controlled minions.

OTOH, there's also a lot of crap in the vanilla version, such as tons of dialog typos, loops and glitches, bugged quests, broken / cut-out items and a huge amount of inconsistencies that arise because of these bugs.

You can get the best of both worlds with rroyo's mod, which includes a relatively recent version of Drog's UAP while keeping some of the glitches. However, the mod features lots of extra content that will more then likely draw your attention away from the main storyline - and probably keep you from completing the game before rolling another character.

4. Qabal

Qabal New Member

I was asking the same question as the OP in the module discussion forum. I deleted my post after seeing it was already asked here. I'll probably only end up playing through once, and I'm thinking of using rroyo's mod. Now I just need to figure out what kind of character to play and stop myself from going the min/max route. (Min/maxing usually ruins games for me, yet I can't seem to help myself.)

5. Langolier

Langolier Member

I'd get Otto Krupp's "Better firearms" mod. Basically, the mod adds +5 range for all pistols, +10 for all rifles, and tweaks the damage slightly on most of the weapons. I don't think I could play the game without it, since firearms is my favorite skills but it feels more like you're throwing rocks in the vanilla version.

6. kilolima

kilolima New Member

Hi, where can I download this mod? I didn't find it via google. Sounds great, and will it work with the other mods/patches?

Thanks!

kilolima

EDIT : found this link to download :

http://arcanum.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/ti ... erer.shtml

(however, still don't know if it's compatible with AWIP or UAP.

Our Host!