Few general questions.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sinner, Dec 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sinner

Sinner New Member

Hello everybody. I come from the distant land of Cynism also known as Italy. More precisely, from Italy. That made a lot of sense.

I had two questions and a request.

1° q.- If, for example, I wanted to grow up a persuasive character, how much starting charisma/persuasion skill should he/she have? Because lately I've realized that the first hours of game can be a pain without primary skill such as melee/firearms/magic ones.

2° q.- Do your followers whine or even rebel against you if you just sit back and watch them fight all the time? You know, that'd be so boring that it'd be worth trying.

Request - Can you convince my brain that after *years* of owning Arcanum it doesn't necessarily need to reroll new characters over and over without even letting me complete half of the game?

Thanks in advance.

-Sinner

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    1. Usually when I play a persuasive character, I start with about 9 CH and one or two points of persuasion, unless I take the Charlatan's Protegé or Debutanté background. Of course, my characters have a tendency to be mages and therefore I have the option to cheat by starting the game with the harm spell, after which the rest of the game merely consists of getting 100 MA as soon as possible and watch things die.

2. No, they're perfectly content with dying for your sake, considering themselves perfectly expendable for your cause. Arcanum followers are good that way. Hey, you're the Living One, perks with the job and all.

3. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

1. That's a good rule of thumb; at the start there are only 2 followers you can retain, 9 Cha is the min to get them and 2 Pers is the max you can get with that. You'll have to level up before you can get any others, but you'll have a tough time levelling if you don't spend points in support or damage ability.

2. They only complain if you offend their principles or hit them 'accidentally' too often. But there are ways that persuasive and/or beautiful characters can counter that; when you see their reaction on the low side of Neutral, put on barbarian clothes or Dread Armor, and their reaction will plummet. You can then ask them what you can do to make things right, and be ready to bribe them with their favorite treats to boost their morale. This is a good way to keep them up to Amicable-Love status.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    On a side note, I usually opt for Expert Persuasion before I hit level 10, if only because that's what you need to get Gar on board.

5. Sinner

Sinner New Member

Fine enough, thanks again.

EDIT (Since I don't really feel like spamming with another post or topic)

I've been lurking around the site for a day or so and I've eventually seen those customized portraits. The steampunk ones look really cool, so I've decided to download them. Problem: It says I need to put them in the C:\Sierra\Arcanum\Data\Portraits folder, but I miss the last directory. Creating it doesn't help.

Maybe I should add that I didn't buy the game in its original box, but it was together with a gaming magazine I was used to buy years ago. I guess it's a little different.

-Sinner

6. Koorac

Koorac New Member

I'm not sure, but I think you have to put it in /data/portrait and not inside /Data/Portrait .

7. Sinner

Sinner New Member

Problem's fixed. I simply tried creating a "Portrait" folder instead of "Portraits" and it worked fine. Weird enough since the readme says "Portraits".

Oh well, everything's alright now, thanks for the support.

-Sinner

Our Host!