world map image

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by team a, May 27, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. team a

team a New Member

i don't know if anyone else is making a mod with a world map, but I just realized that although the arcanum module worldmap images are 8-bit .bmp, arcanum will recognize 24-bit images. It's a better idea to use 24-bit, because otherwise you might experience a loss of color information, and anyway, photoshop won't save 8-bit, but it does save 24-bit.

Hope this has been helpful to someone.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm still using Photoshop 5 and have had no trouble creating 8 bit images.
    The sequence is:
    File
    Automate
    Conditional Mode Change
    (In source mode check) Bitmap (only if source is BMP) and RGB color
    Target mode
    Indexed color (and set):
    256 color
    Adaptive palate
    8 bit
    Preserve exact colors.

Not a problem. Correction - 1 problem. For some reason Photoshop 5 wants to convert the background color of a clip to a tan whenever I try to paste a clip onto another 256 color bitmap. I'll figure that one out eventually.

3. team a

team a New Member

You still working on Veloren Island, or on a mod with a new world map now? just curious

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I haven't given up on the expansion pack yet.
    I'm using the main map from an old save that was on another computer.

I haven't made it back to Veloren yet, other than to get the ship into place. After that, I started on the west coast and have been carefully! making my way east.

As for having to make and send a modified world map, no. I've been rethinking the layout of the new Void and I think I've found a way around the need for one. Break the big island into sections. This way I can use the original Void map, which I would have to include anyway, and as long as I keep each section no more than 12 sectors wide, there's plenty of room for everything except maybe Brasahalla. Maybe.

Troika made a 36X36 map for the Void, then only used a 7x7 section out of the middle. That leaves a 12 sector wide band all the way around that I can build on.

The only real unknown on this is how long can I make each section without the player getting frustrated with the distance involved and me just plain going too far.

For those who don't know: Each sector is roughly 1/4 of a mile wide.
    The entire main street in Tarant is not quite 8 sectors long.

5. team a

team a New Member

I believe that at one time or another, the void was intended to be a second world map. Or, maybe it was designed to be part of the existing world map. This would be supported by the idea that there are values in WMap_Rnd.mes for void, that there is edit terrain data for void mountains and plain (although there is no art for it included in the game), and that Zammy suggested (http://web.archive.org/web/200310211107 ... /worldmap/) that there might have been the possibility of multiple world maps, although that option appears to have completed by Troika.

If you think you're going to run out of space on the void map, why not just add a new one? And if you're planning to use even 10% of the 1247 available sectors, I can't imagine what you have planned... I'd love to play it when you're done though.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It's not so much the available space as the way it's laid out. Add to that the necessity of keeping at least one full sector of empty space between say, the edge of an island and the interior of the mine on it will quickly use up the map or box me into a tight build situation down the road.

My original concept was for an island the size of Despair with one or two mines and underground scenes scattered throughout.

Ah, hell - rather than type all this in again, just go here and read all about it:
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13501

By the time it's all said and done, my build is going to be a honkin' big download so I'm keeping my eyes open for ways to keep the size down whenever possible.

And when the time comes, I'd be delighted to have you play it.

7. yrome

yrome New Member

Sorry for bumping the old thread, but could you point me where the original world map art is located? Looked for them in unpacked arts to no avail.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Worldmap" folder in Arcanum.dat.

BTW, I've never seen this thread before.

I believe, they added placeholders to random encounters just in case, so that they have all terrain types covered. But yes, the void terrain type was never finished. Although we can easily add our own terrain type, all terrain types (the "terrain" folder) are just premade maps, in case you don't know.

Anyway, considering the Void, I guess it was unfinished or they had other ideas for it which got ditched at some point. In story state based responses (when you ask an NPC about the story state) there are unused lines, for SS20-23:
    Code:
    // Story state is 20
    {2000}{His keep is just east of the crossroads...}
    {2001}{I don't know, but he's to blame for all of this...}
    {2002}{The old one is not far, but he can see no visitors...}
    {2003}{Take the left fork of the crossroads...the monster...}
    {2004}{His keep is not far from the crossroads...}
    {2005}{I keep my head out of such business...}
    {2006}{Bloody elven madman!  I don't know, nor care.}
    {2007}{Who?}
    {2008}{The master is not far, but will see no one...}
    {2009}{Who?}
    {2010}{Bloody elven madman!  I don't know, nor care.}

// Story state is 21
    {2100}{A bloody harsh place to live....}
    {2101}{Nothing but death and despair here, stranger.}
    {2102}{A fate worse than death.}
    {2103}{NO ONE deserves the life we live here.}
    {2104}{There's no worse fate than being banished here.}
    {2105}{A terrible place.  How I long for my home...}
    {2106}{Look around you.  Welcome to hell.}
    {2107}{Horrible, horrible place.}
    {2108}{If I'd have known THIS was the reward...}
    {2109}{Horrible, horrible place.}
    {2110}{Look around you.  Welcome to hell.}

// Story state is 22
    {2200}{He defeated Arronax, and doomed us all...}
    {2201}{An evil, evil being.  God help us all.}
    {2202}{Powerful, wizard.  Stay clear of him.}
    {2203}{Started the war here, so many years ago.  Maniac!}
    {2204}{Very little, beyond the fact that's he's in charge...}
    {2205}{Nothing!  I know nothing!}
    {2206}{Bloody tyrant!  He's got to be stopeed!}
    {2207}{Uhhh...who is that?}
    {2208}{He controls the void, now.}
    {2209}{Uhhh...who is that?}
    {2210}{Bloody tyrant!  He's got to be stopeed!}

// Story state is 23
    {2300}{Somewhere in the [Void City] ruins, I believe...}
    {2301}{Magick.  I find it safer to keep my distance...}
    {2302}{Old magick, older even than the elves...}
    {2303}{I've heard about it...buried somewhere in [Void City]...}
    {2304}{Check the ruins of old [Void City].}
    {2305}{No idea, stranger.  Sorry.}
    {2306}{Maybe somewhere in [Void City]?}
    {2307}{I'm confused...}
    {2308}{I'm heard it had been lost, but check in [Void City].}
    {2309}{I'm confused...}
    {2310}{Maybe somewhere in [Void City]?}
    These lines are unused because there's no citizens or any kind of non-plot related people in the Void. Or maybe these are just placeholders as well, so that they have responses for all story states, I'm not certain.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

This is rather interesting.
    I just might be able to incorporate these lines into my idea. It's a long shot, but maybe.

Thanks!

10. yrome

yrome New Member

This may be slightly off topic, but I don't believe I ever created the post found above. Why is that there? It is very disturbing.

11. team a

team a New Member

What do you mean by the phrase "premade maps"? Are you referring to the fact that each variant for tiles has already been included in the .art files, or to the generation of sectors?

12. yrome

yrome New Member

It wasn't even my gravedig. I did not create that post. :-?

13. team a

team a New Member

That's odd. Were you looking at this thread for info, just don't think you posted that? Or had you never even seen the thread before, but you read it and saw that you were supposed to have posted in it?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The terrain types are small maps (just a few sectors), they're used when you create a new map or paint terrain in the terrain editor. These maps can have any tiles/scenery/plants/etc. We can use the void tiles and scenery to create a terrain type and add it. Then you can use it to create a module set in the void, with world map and random encounters with those nasty lizards, for example.

Just take a look at the 'terrain' folder.

15. yrome

yrome New Member

When I logged on, I saw some new posts in the support forum. I had never seen this thread before, so I checked it out and the new post happened to be from my username- but nobody else has access to it. I am certain that I did not create the post, however.
    How is that possible?

16. team a

team a New Member

magic

EDIT:
    I haven't looked for the sector generator ("sector paint") folder until now, even though you mentioned it some time ago. Where is the terrain folder you're referring to? I didn't see anything like that in any of the arcanum?.dat files.

EDIT:
    Should have looked over the other threads first.
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14899

Our Host!