Small puzzle in the Ancient Maze near Dernholm

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by malthaussen, Apr 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. malthaussen

malthaussen New Member

While mooching about in the Ancient Maze, I see there is a small square area that is completely enclosed by walls. There appears to be no window to climb through to get into it. Nevertheless, there is an unidentified sword on the ground inside. (Might be a random treasure, however).

I've tried to get in there various ways. Conveyance, a spell I am finding to be near-useless, is no help. Body of Air doesn't let me float in, either. Is there a way in? Or was this something the devs just put in to annoy us?

Playing with the last patch.

-- Mal

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

This is a well known thing by Arcanum players. As far as I know, there is no way in. In the walkthrough on gamebanshee.com it says that there is a way in, but it doesn't say how. I personally think it was a thing put in just to annoy people :lol:

3. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

When I played without the WIP2 mod I couldn`t get the sword. After I installed the mod and went back to the maze I just clicked on the sword, my character walked up to it and picked it up. I forget what kind of sword it was. My character was tech who only used thrown weapons so I just sold it.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I believe the collision detection can fail at slower systems.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Someone want to try Spatial Distortion?

And it is an Arcane Great Sword in the enclosure.

6. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Really? I usually get cash. Or is it one of those randomly generated treasure things?

7. malthaussen

malthaussen New Member

Actually, as I indicated in the OP, I've already tried Spatial Distortion ("the Conveyance spell"), which is the obvious solution, and had no joy. This is not the only way in which my game is acting strange, but I have no idea why certain things are buggy.

-- Mal

8. Langolier

Langolier Member

I think the sword was just put there to tease the player. Without mods I'm not aware of any way to get the sword.

9. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

That's one of 3-5 areas that I edited on the big map with the World Editor to get into. There's another enclosure at some ruins (up north?) with a pile of gold. However, once you change the main map, it doesn't work right going back to those areas with a saved game.

10. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

You can't spatial distort through walls, that's not your game acting strange. I'm pretty sure rroyo meant in his AWIP mod, though. He's obviously edited the spell to actually make it useful, although that takes away it's charming uselessness.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Actually, no I didn't mess with the spell.

Whenever I was at the Ancient Maze or Kerlin's Altar, I either didn't have or neglected to try Spatial Distortion and that's why I was asking if anyone had tried it.

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Huh, strange. for some reason I thought you had quoted the guy talking about WIP2. That's why I thought you were talking about testing the spell in your mod. Oh well.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'd opened up that section of wall a long time ago.

In fact -

Me: "For the first time in the game's history, the sword is now accessible."
    Vyenna: "Blasphamy, she cried!"

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I once played a half-ogre that would occasionally "hop" over walls. I believe it was possible in spots without windows, as well. Anyone tried it with a half-ogre?

I searched the internet for a way to get over that fence, and most of the forums/walkthroughs I saw said don't bother none.

15. zynklu

zynklu New Member

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

The thread is more than a year old. The thread is dead. Why must you bother it with silly stuff like that?

I think we'll let you go this time, mostly because you "only meant well" and "wanted to contribute" with some "relevant" stuff.

Just don't do it again.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I suggest an atonement in the form of explaining that "bug which moves char. few feets after loading game" thingy.

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hello zynklu, welcome to House of Lords. I suggest you very very quickly skedaddle over to Arcanum Discussion and read the FAQ.

19. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I forgive him, for uncovering one of the unsolved problems in Arcanum.

I fukkin knew it is possible, but even now I still can't remember how I did it (a save/load game might have helped it though).

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Giving an official welcome to someone whose account is nearly two years old? I want a welcome too.

Our Host!