Please help with .dlg File Extensions

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Quaid, Sep 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Quaid

Quaid Member

I am working through AMTUT (which is great by the way) and I am having trouble with the dialogue.

I know you need the .dlg file and the .scr file to be named exactly the same. Mine are named 00001Introduction

The problem:

My .dlg file was done in Notepad, and it saves it as a .txt
    I don't know any way to change that extension to .dlg in Windows XP! The extension isn't part of the file name like it was in older versions of Windows. I have used the 'help' system in Windows and searched the forums for my answer but all to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Quaid

Quaid Member

Found a work around.

I simply copied and pasted an existing .dlg file from the original game into my folder. Then I edited the content and name. The file extension remained as a .dlg and all is right with the world!

3. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

For the future, just go to an opened folder and choose Folder Options... under Tools. Go to the View 'page' and uncheck the Hide extensions for known filetypes box.

And perhaps you want to uncheck some other boxes and choose to show hidden files and such while you're there. :)

4. Quaid

Quaid Member

5. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

What Gillsing describes does not change the file extensions, it simply shows / hides them.

To save a .txt file as a .dlg file:
    Write your dialogue.
    Save As
    You will have multiple drop down menus. Click on "Save as type". Change this from .txt to "All Files".
    Then save your file adding .dlg to the end of the name e.g. 00001Introduction.dlg

6. Quaid

Quaid Member

Thanks Tongs, that is another good suggestion.

With the viewing of file extensions on, I can also rename the file from <name>.txt to <name>.dlg in Windows Explorer.

Our Host!