Arcanum 2 Total Conversion?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Gforce4999, Aug 21, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

I hope it's still 3D-ish Isometric

I can only add one thing:

Does this Oblivion(?) Engine have any resemblence to the original Arcanum Engine?

Yeah I know that the actual names are probably different, but I'm not a scripter, I'm just really interested.

2. Gforce4999

Gforce4999 New Member

Re: I hope it's still 3D-ish Isometric

The engine is very different but all of the concepts (save for the inventory and the visual processing) are the same.

@Bearslayer: We really need storyline right now anyway so that makes sense.

I've put you into the team list as a concept artist and storyline editor.

I'm working on converting the whole site right now though so I'll get on the forums in a moment.

3. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Just thought I'd write to say Arcanum 3D sounds like a great idea. I only just recently joined, but I have already considered posting a request for a 3D Arcanum World Editor and game. That'd be something I'd be willing to buy.
    I don't know whether designing an editor is a realistic idea or not (probably not), but it's a thought anyway.

4. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

don't grave dig threads please. :) welcome to the forum

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's interesting to note that we haven't heard from Gforce 4999 in six months now. People dream up too ambitious projects. It's like that other guy who promised us screenshots from his own über-Arcanum-project around Christmas. Having the same amount of substance to it as a lightly whipped meringue.

6. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

i dont even remember hearing about that. would you be opposed to someone modding wow and making it arcanum? that wouldn't be half bad in terms of story and gameplay. but i have no idea how someone would redo all of the stats. and ,lol, arcanum is sort of limited in the kinds of gear/good gear you find.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, I guess that that if anything is the stumbling block modders looking for fame and glory invariably trip over. The magick/tech dichotomy is fairly unique to Arcanum and doesn't easily carry over to other systems. Then there's also the issue of having a classless system, something many, if not most, RPG's tend to lack. With so much effort required wouldn't it be easier then to just convert the existing Arcanum engine into 2.5d or something?

I'd rather have a limited array of useful stuff than craploads of useless shit.

8. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Sorry about grave digging, I didn't notice the post dates until after posting (i was too overjoyed, hearing about work on a 3D arcanum). I wonder if there's anyone who has done/is doing a 3D conversion? I'll be starting a games programming course this year, but I don't know if I'd be willing or able enough to do an arcanum conversion for at least a couple of years.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Sorry, no 3d Arcanums that I am aware of. If such a thing is ever released, it will ship together with Duke Nukem Forever.

10. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

True that ^_^. Heh, maybe if someone DOES do a 3D arcanum, it'll become the next team fortress 1... Nothing like passion instead of money driving developement.

Update:
    I just had a thought. You guys mentioned the magic/tech problem. Maybe mod hellgate london?

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Give it a try when you've boosted those programming skills.

12. Gforce4999

Gforce4999 New Member

Yes I'm well aware of this, however it also seems that almost no one whatsoever in the modding community has willing or interested enough to help me in any of these things. So short of doing the whole thing myself (which I may decide to do at a later date). There's very little chance it could get off the ground.

Yes I'm aware of my timing but since I seem to be lacking in the ability to use a computer on a daily basis I've lost the ability to spend time on forums (or the internet at all).

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    How much progress did you ever make on that project of yours anyway?

14. Gforce4999

Gforce4999 New Member

Pretty much nothing, I couldn't get anyone in the modding and programming scenes interested enough in the game to sign up.

15. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Programming eh? I've done a unit on java and I'll be doing a unit on C++ this semester. Having said that, it was an introductory unit to java (and I have no idea what they'll teach me in C++), but I could still help out, depending on what you need.

As for modding, what engine do you plan to use? I could use this as an excuse to finally go through all the Unreal Tournament 3 tutorials if we're using that. I don't have oblivion unfortunately.

16. Gforce4999

Gforce4999 New Member

Originally I was thinking Oblivion (because it has a worlded), then I read a bit more into some of the other things that Troika themselves have said and thought about using the source engine. I don't own unreal 3 right now ,nor am I in full time use of my computer right now... That said I'm not totally sure I can be of full use to the mod ,but if you guys just want me to play orchestrator I can do that too.

If you can stir up some serious interest and build up a team I'd be happy to help network it for you ,but at the moment I'm just not equipped to work on the mod anymore as much as I'd love to head it.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oddly enough, I believe that a well-written Arcanum campaign in RPG Maker 2003 wouldn't be half bad.

18. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Hm.. reguardless of what engine we use, this is gonna be a huge project. We should probably write a tutorial as we go on how to convert said engine to make an arcanum style game. This will mean we have a better idea on what our work is capable of.

I think we should save (at least a fair bit of anyway) the building of the new arcanum world until after. The reason being, once we have an engine and a tutorial, we can throw it at the mod community and see what wacky things they come up with. Modders being what they are, they'll ask questions about aspects of our work and what things they'd like to see in it (comming up with ideas we'd never even considered).

This should give us alot of ideas to help make the actual world.

19. Gforce4999

Gforce4999 New Member

Hopefully if you all will have me I'd still love to help work on this project (just not the guy to head it).

Two things I think we should keep as a mandatory should be the isometric perspective and the steampunk look of it

It should feel like a serious sequel both in spirit and in form. That said, theres quite a few new additions that need to be made.

Its not that I don't like the concept of an RPG maker or open source version (or anything else therein). I just think that if we're going to make a real impact (and be able to recruit) we need to decide a few things so that we can feel official ,and a lot of the best open source games I know of come from modding other games to the point where they just made their own game once they got finished with the original mod.

There are several good game engines to choose from and I also rather like the idea of making a "2.5D" arcanum through the original engine. Or rather just make one with better resolution sprites.

I think the reason why we were never really taken seriously for the endevour was because we had almost nothing at all in terms of set ideas.

So if we can at least pick an engine I think that would put us on the right track.

It might help if we all gave it some serious discussion and took a vote.

20. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Sounds good to me. UT3 is a first person game though, so I don't know yet how to change that (though I could post on the UT3 forums to ask about it). From what I've done of the tutorials, the interface is fairly forgiving and building buildings is a dream compared to the original arcanum. It takes longer, definetely, but there is no "object crap" as it were and there is no building problems as mentioned in dark underlord's tutorial (this is very important!! To me anyways).

Well, maybe there are building problems, but if you do something which i don't remember at the moment it fixes it. I reckon your mandatory ideas sound good as I basically want to make arcanum maps for the original game rules (plus improvements and/or additions), but in 3D. Building a ship in the old editor was... very annoying, i want to use 3D objects!

Anywho, I gues I basically vote for UT3. The only other engine I know (and in this case know pretty well) is warcraft 3. Warcraft has a top down view and you can do a truly incredible amout of things in it. The only thing I don't know is how to go back and forth between maps (although it can be done - witness TFT Orc bonus campaign).

I have tried diaglogue in warcraft 3, but I really reckon a different program is needed for that. We'd also have to import models and find a way to convert the leveling system to be like arcanum (I vaugely remember people posting about something similar on the helper.net but I didn't read the posts)

Update:
    Just a thought on getting the help of other modders; we gotta try and look as professional and serious about this as possible. I've no idea how to do that at the moment, but I think people will take our work more seriously if we try and show we really mean to do this and are in it for the long haul (and have some concrete plans like you said). We'll only really be able to chip away at this project as we have time (thanks to work and/or uni) so we might want to let modders know this isn't going to happen over just a few months.

On a slightly related note, what is RPG maker 2003?

Our Host!