This should waste some time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Mar 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I was going over the members list sorted by postcount to see how well my competition with DE is going and noticed that I'm now ranked behind Jinxed and then further realised that I don't know a dman thing about the Pain Administrator.

So I thought I'd bother the few members elderly enough who haven't gotten Alzheimer's yet and ask if I should bother reading some of the older threads he posted in.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You know, mathboy put it well the other day when he said that he didn't remember the ancient members as individual posters but rather as a nice mix of people.

However, one thing was good about those older threads, and that's the debates they had. Back in the day this was actually a discussion board, not just a colorful iRC channel.*

*Or so mathboy tells me.

3. Vorak

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Probably, yes. It's a Swedish custom (or maybe more like a human custom) to look back at what's been and say "Aw, we had it much better back then". I do that all the time.

Anyway, I would like to get this clear: Who was the first member of HoL? There are a few ancient members, but who is the most ancient? Is it Calis or Jinxed, or some other fellow I've never even heard of?

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I believe Calis created the boards, so my guess is him?

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Yea, so he told me in one of the threads he posted in recently.
    Claiming he only had the highest postcount when he just created the board or something like that.

7. Calis

Calis Member

Yup. I recruited Jinxed when it became apparent we needed more moderators, and gave him ownership of the site & domain a while after that. Jinxed joined as a member in August 2001. HoL was set up april 2001, but T-A's "official" opening was well before that, July 26th 2000. I went on vacation to Italy right after that, so I pretty much missed out on the "opening buzz". Some other former staff members of note:
    Saint Proverbius - made many of the graphics for the HoL - left because I wouldn't let him shape the community to his liking (he's still the "boss" in name at RPGCodex, by the way)
    Monkeypunch - made the original T-A site design, which is fairly close to what it looks like now
    Stonecourier - did some pioneering PHP work before I learned PHP (and before DU took over as technical chief)
    Ratster - made the Arcanum Character Planner before the game was out

Checking out the news archives is a good way to get some insight into the history of this site. In case you care.

8. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Wait, a character planner before the game came out? So it was based on the demo, or what?

9. Calis

Calis Member

I think this may have even been before the demo. A lot was already known about the character system by then.

Edit: I think both Ratster and I had our hands on an earlier beta version at that time

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I miss the old mix of people... Those really were good times...

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Except you sucked at English back then and most of the old mix of people hated you?

12. Xz

Meh, I was too young to understand that, or I maybe I've just chosen to forget it, who knows? :p

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I believe the worst transgression you ever committed was taking the Dark Elf avatar before I did! Gods, did I hate you back then or what? :p

14. Xz

Actually I dug up the absolutely oldest thread in the GD, just to see if someone got pissed off. :p

Anyway I did let you have that avatar.

15. mathboy

mathboy New Member

And then you chose the avatar wobbler has today, didn't you?

And your signature was something with two nodding faces on each side, like this:

:) Signature :)

I think that was you at least.

16. Xz

The Wobbler avatar is correct, and I believe the signature is correct as well.

17. Vorak

The oldest member was allenthailand, he joined in 1970 afterall.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

All I can say with any certainty is that the new people in this forum suck balls. Posting about stuff they know nothing about and acting like they have something important to say when all they have is a measly 74 posts......

Wait......shit.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Aww, that's cute, he's learning. Should we teach him to fetch things off Google next?

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

A character planner, eh? Did Ratster ever post anything about it on the forum? Actually I'm just gonna do a search for it.

Edit;
    Wow...for as many times as I've seen this site before actually joining the forums, I never bothered to look for it. It's pretty easy to navigate, and lets you fiddle with character combinations before testing them in the game...but I bet that's exactly why it was made.

Our Host!