Just some general tips... Thanks

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Royaltramp, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Royaltramp

Royaltramp New Member

Well. I just found this forum and it seems a nice place, and I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay.

I never really got very far in Arcanum before, but I was ever the "detective" and could always find out how something was done however hard a task it was...

But then I stopped playing Arcanum, for a long, long, long, long time...

In fact it's probably been over a year since I last even ran the game.

But I know it's one of the most amazing games I've ever played, yeah the graphics arn't amazing, yeah some of the game is bland, but it's a game that I'll never forget.

One thing about me however, is that I *hate* playing on saves that I haven't used for months, because I don't need to know what he's done before, but I can't roleplay my character any longer if I only know what I'm doing now, not what I've already done.

Basically I'm going to make a new character, and I'd just like some general tips for this time round. What kind of character could I try out? Should I be good, or evil? Those are the kinds of questions I'd like you to suggest answers to.

Thanks for reading (If you read all that ^_^), and thanks for answering (Unless you didn't of course ;\ )

-Matt

2. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Welcome to the club. I just recently joined myself and have learned an assload from the community here. There's so much to this game in the character creation/playing alone that I would suggest just trolling the boards a little more to see what others had to say. Here's a small list of a few recent topics off the top of my head. They don't go into alot of detail but I think they'll provide some inspiration.

Actually, I'm not even sure these would qualify as "Character" topics, but more or less rules/preferences topics. Regardless, I found that the more familiar I became with how the game worked, the more inspired I was to try different character builds. So yeah...have at it. Good luck with your character. I went through about 8 of them during my first play through, before I even hit Tarant, from all the possibilities.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't really think you should worry that much about your character. Arcanum is very flexible in that department - the game can be played satisfactorily with virtually any character concept.

If you want an easy first run though, play a Half-Ogre warrior. Be a goody two-shoes. If you find the stupid dialog options silly, put a point in Intelligence (an IN of 5 or more makes you talk properly).

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, a Half-orge is a good first time. A Human character is always a good option too.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

An Elf sorcerer (pure spellcaster with maximized magic aptitude, using Harm and Fireflash spells for combat) or battlemage (weapons+magic, preferably from the Temporal colledge) are probably the easiest first characters to play. Although I myself am partial to technologists. A half-ogre smith could be an interesting and easy to play option. Halfling gunslingers are fun, although a bit challenging in the beginning.

6. Madness

Madness New Member

For a completely normal character, be a male human. Also you won't look like a mutated green goblin.

7. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Another option is techy half-elf. I don't know why it's working, but it worked magnificent for me several times!

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but playing a dwarf technologist always works for me.
    They move a bit more slowly than the larger races, but they're pretty resistant to poison (so all those damn poison traps will just amount to a rash...possibly).

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

But looking as a mutated green goblin is half the fun!

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    How could a PC ever look like a mutated green goblin?

11. Madness

Madness New Member

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Madness

Madness New Member

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, their sprites are actually slightly green. Yet, they have the strength to manually twist metal lamp posts into cork screws, so who's going to tell them?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Royaltramp

Royaltramp New Member

I've decided to go against all the other characters I've played - and play something I haven't tried before.

A halfling throwing expert. :p

-Matt

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've never played a pure mage, maybe it's time for that now.

18. Madness

Madness New Member

I've played pure mage before, its okay. But its horrible if you don't have allies. Seriously, you'll die pretty quickly when faced with a bunch of enemies.

I recommend having at most 2 enemies on screen for a 95% chance of survival.

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    On the contrary, playing a pure mage is the easiest thing you'll ever do. Be an elf, sell your soul, get harm, and followers are all but a redundancy. The only place you'll ever have to be careful in is the Crash Site; once you have a sufficient supply of potions and magick staffs you'll be a demigod.

Of course, I condemn real-time.

20. Madness

Madness New Member

...Um, forget my last post here, I forgot that some people play Arcanum turn-based. *Ahem* Well, I should fix that post. Turn-based is too slow for me.

There we go, apology for those turn-based pure-magers out there. :lol:

Our Host!