We had an earthquake!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frigo, Dec 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

We had an earthquake, here it was the first in my life. And I slept it through!!!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well..... I know better than to come knocking on your door in the morning hours. :lol:

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Geez, if the earth can't wake him up when it knocks at his door...

4. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Frigo, ye pansy, yer an easey prey fer Freddy K.

5. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

How much is it by the Richter scale? I myself missed a 3-4 earthquake while resting in Turkey since I was on the beach.

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

4.1, the epicenter was about 25 kilometres from here.

By the way, we're in the middle of refurbrishing the house, and it's also really nice to sleep to the sound of hammer drills :)

7. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

So basically if a bomb or something was dropped, you would not feel any pain before death, Frigo. That can have its advantages......

8. Grossenschwamm

Hmmm...from what I can understand, the only people who feel pain from explosions are those who survive.

9. Maximus

Maximus New Member

The worst earthquake I was in was a 7.3 in S. California, USA. I was standing outside smoking a cigarette at 2 in the morning and all of a sudden the houses across the street rose into the air 10 feet, then dropped an equal distance in the other direction.

Then it hit my side of the street, and we did the same thing (turns out there's an underground lake there). The house tilted maddeningly sideways, the front door flew open, and the house itself was creaking and cracking. I thought I was going to be pulling my family out of rubble. You can still see the cracks in the houses and streets years later.

Moments later it was over, but we felt aftershocks for months. That kind was considered a 'roller', and does far less damage to things. If it had been a 'shaker', the house would have been destroyed. The big quake that leveled parts of San francisco was a Shaker.

10. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

7.3. My God. While in Turkey I have seen video of 6 point earthquake in Constantinopolis, and it was embarassing. Lots of dead and crying people, 12-floor buildings falling like a paper houses. Who was so "intelligent" to found city at this place (even with regard to its good geographical position in Marble Sea)?

11. Telcontar

Wow were lucky here, last one was a few months ago and it barely shook anything. It was enough to get myself under the bed though....

12. Grossenschwamm

Three years before I was born, there was a 3.2 earthquake or something in Massachusetts. My sister had just been born, and there was a lunar eclipse.
    Nothing was destroyed, but it was definitely a bizarre occurence, considering how far the east coast is from a major fault line.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

All those years I lived in L.A. And Orange County, every time a tremor happened, I was driving down the freeway. Never felt a thing. Then in '94, while we were in the Seattle area, my wife and I had to move into a travel trailer for awhile and sure enough, that's I got to experience a 5. something.

I thought some damned fool was rocking the trailer, so I ran outside ready to pound some sense into him.

14. Telcontar

So I take it you got taken down to the station for kicking a dog or punching a little kid riding past.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Although I have spent a night or two under the town clock, our trailer living was the result of a house fire. Damned squirrel chewed through the wiring in the attic. Good timing though - all of us were out and about when the fire started, so no one was injured.

16. Telcontar

17. Grossenschwamm

It woke up in squirrel hell, where there are tiny humans that run around climbing up trees and barking at passers-by.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

19. Telcontar

Well the other day, a Brittish Chef actually killed and ate one. Looked and he said it tasted very much like rabbit. Finally a reason to eat meat!

20. Grossenschwamm

Rabbits are good, but I think squirrels are evil. What other rodents do you know that gang up on large-breed dogs and gut them?

Our Host!