Pool of Radiance WARNING!!! Can wipe out OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rachel12, Sep 29, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Well, to lose your OS, you have to have the installer crash in the process of installing it, then uninstall the game.

That's how that bug works.

There's various work arounds for what to do if the installer goes fubar on you, and as long as you don't uninstall directly after it botches up, you're fine.

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Never heard of Pool of Radiance but from here. Willing to try if I find it at the store. Worth it?

3. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Freind,
    Avoid POR for a couple months untill Ubi has a fixed version available and on the shelves, a simple patch isn't going to repair the game as the installer is flawed as well, unless you have enough room on your C drive (it won't install to any other drive) and you don't mind the possibility of losing all your saved games 10 hours into POR, pick it up now, Best Buy has an excellent deal on it. The wisest thing to do would be to check out the POR forum (see link above) and wait untill the smoke clears.

I was wondering, I started to install POR and canceled installation a quarter of the way through as it was headed for the C drive even though I specified D, is there something now on my PC that needs uninstalling? I see no relevant folders.

I'll be the first in line to pick up the patched version of POR when it's released as I've heard and read enough about the game to decided that it's something I will like, but untill then they can keep it away from me.

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Thanks for the advice, Acacia. I'll try that. 0:)

5. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Acacia it may seem this is a stupid question, but how one would know in couple of months which version to buy?

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I think he's saying I should wait until I see if the game has been fixed. If not, then maybe I shouldn't buy.

7. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Yeah, but how would you know if the game is fixed? You have to buy it anyway. And how would you know which copy is more recent?

8. NecroLich

NecroLich New Member

hmmm

They probably will put a sticker on, but more likely you'll be waiting for a downloadable patch.

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

So do you think I shouldn't buy the game?

10. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

That's an extemely good question. I have contacted Ubisoft several times suggesting placing the version number on future packages or a statement saying that its fixed, this of course would force them to have to admit that they screwed up the first time around, but it's the least that they could do to show some respect to the poor folks who supported them, buying the game on it's release, and is also respectful to future customers. I have nothing against gameplay, I read the manual and others opinions and the game is tits with me, but the bugs and installer need to be fixed before it's purchasable, and the fact that I can still walk into a number of stores and buy the first release, leaves me questioning Ubisoft's intentions, even if the game DOES work perfectly for some people, it is still impossible to install the game on any other drive other than the C drive, unless you're a master at editing your registery, as this is an installer quirk, a patch may not fix it, I don't see how you could install a patch before the game, that would direct it to the proper drive.

My advice to anyone considering POR is to wait a month or two.

11. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Well, as much as I would love to play this game I cannot because of the obvious reasons (crashes, too many too often), so I decided to return and wait for the next release or at least the patch.

12. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

They think they have the installer problem figured out. Apparently Norton Clean Sweep running in the background causes the uninstaller to wipe four system files.

I installed it on two dissimilar machines, no problem other than it refuses to install to a custom directory. There are work arounds for that though.

Our Host!