Just starting the game and...

Discussion in 'ToEE Hints & Tips' started by Regressor, Jun 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Regressor

Regressor New Member

So I'm just starting the game and I'ld need some advise before I go on creating my charachters.
    First of I'm planning on not having any Rogues in my party. Do you think it would work out. I think of having a Ranger and a Bard, that should somewhat replace the rogue - the Bard having Sleigh of Hand and the ranger having Search and sneaking around, plus using spells like sence trap. I'm asking this because a rouge is somewhat irreplasable for every party which I think is pretty dumb. Then again this a problem of the D'n'D altogether. Would it be possible to pull up a party without a rogue that woudn't suck eggs.

Then what I've heard of the party has somethink like a "spokesman" a guy who does all the talking, who pressumingly has alot of charisma and high conversation skills. That ofcource will be the bard in my party. What I was wandering was if I could use some of the other's party members' skills. For instance in the middle of the dialogue have my barbarian use his intimidation if the one you're dealing with doesn't seem to be very resourcefull.
    [/i]"Uhm... your proposal doesn't sound very apealling. What else do you offer?"
    Barbarain interuptingHow about not smashing your head in!"

Is there any sence in putting conversation skills in anyone but the spokes person. And how about which of the those to raise at all? From what I heard all you need is diplomacy and sence motive. Bluff is also good, because it's usable in combat. But gather inforamation was useless.
    How much of the game is connected with conversation by the way. The other thing I read was that it's almost Hack'n'Slash all the way.

The other thing I wanted to ask was about reach weapons. In the game you are able to attack the ajacent 5-foot area, whereas in the real DnD you can't. Do you receive an AoO anytime someone comes next to you simply he left an "square" you threaten(in fact you shouldn't)? And is the spiked chain included too. I always thought that weapon was overpowered. I fighter with the proper feats would be a killing machine with this.

And most importantly could you tell me what's "Forward-end" (or was it end forward) and do I need it? And what pathces should I install?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yup. There are very few traps in this game. I've gone through half the game with an elven cleric, so...

Apart from a bunch of quests in Hommlet and Nulb and a few instances in the temple itself, the game is mostly about delivering damage with the biggest weapon possible, yes. And no, other characters in your group can't interrupt.

Spiked Chain is in, and I believe the AoO's work the way you described. A high-Dex fighter with a reach weapon, whirlwind attack and combat reflexes is essentially a circle of death.

3. Regressor

Regressor New Member

Thanks a mil :thumbup: Dark Elf. That was very helpful.

A question about resting. After my first battle my Barbarian was left dying at negative HP. I used the Heal skill on him to stop losing health, but then the question arises, how do have him restore his HP back. In order to restore HP he must rest, but to do that my party need to be in a safe spot. But I can't do that because it's is miles away from the nearest town or village. And I can't travel anywhere because I have an uncounscious charachter who I can't drag around, who needs a safe spot to rest to which I can't get because he's uncouncious ... etc. What am I to do? The only solution was to give him a potion or heal him via a spell. What if don't have any available?

Anyway what tricks are there to get a safe spot for rest? Traveling a long distance I you may pass a few day/night cycles. And casters need their sleep to prepare spells every day. Otherwise it gets messy. How do I rest when I'm in the middle of the bush?

Other thing, could I use the heal skill to give long-term treathment. Like in the DnD you could make a heal check and if you succeded the charachter you were healing restores double of what he normally would (i.e. his level).

And for fuck's sake, how do I use the Clerics' spontaneous casting - exchanging any prepared spell for a heal spell? I tried everything. No such option would ever appear in the radial menu, only the pre-prepared spells.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've always been able to drag unconcious characters around. Simply leave the area and go somewhere safe to rest. Your unconcious character/s should follow you to the new map.

If the resting icon is yellow, you could always risk it and rest at a chance of being attacked.

Don't know.

I believe you hold shift while selecting the spell to cast.

5. Regressor

Regressor New Member

Once again thou have my gratitude. :) I don't know what would I've done without you.

6. Allyx

Allyx New Member

The heal skill can't be used to restore HP, just to stop characters from loosing more HP from being unconsious and bleeding. Bed rest (upstairs in the Inn of the Welcome Wench for example) will double your resting HP recovery potential - your 10th level character would heal 20 HP per day if resting in bed.

Our Host!