What amazes you about arcanum?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Deleted member 7919, Feb 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. There is one thing that Amazes me about arcanum the most. The developers took all that time to write all those freiken books and newspapers in the game. Has anyone here read all of them??? It also amazes me how there are so many tiny quests that are so so easy to miss, such as the bessie toone boot being donated to the museum in Tarant, or giving the letter to Jarrad the guard.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Yes, the enormous amount of litterature has made an impression on me. I just can't understand how anyone could ever have had the will to just sit down and write all that stuff. Not saying that it's bad, of course. The most is good.

3. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

I'm so glad they did, that made the game what it is.
    It really takes a whole lot of imagination, good will and patience.
    Really can't awe the game and its creators enough.

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I have to agree. The amount of literature in the game is quite extensive. I daresay that every part of the game is actually documented in Arcanum. Another thing that I thought was interesting is the parody in which Arcanum takes place. It almost mirrors the industrial revolution and the political aspects called into question during that time. Of course, I'm sure players such as yourselves must already know these things, I just feel more at ease being able to discuss it.

5. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

I love the idea of combining cookie-cutter Tolkien with steampunk for an RPG. I bought Arcanum the moment I saw it in the store-- technology vs magic was something I had not yet experienced.

What also amazed me was the technology vs magic articles found at the beginning of each Arcanum handbook/guidebook (that comes in an arcanum box). The text was built like as though it were a summary of a scientific experiment. Introducing "Magickal Obstructions" into common forms of technology would defy the laws of physics.

The pendelum experiment was my favorite-- they explained the various equations of the pendelum, and how, when a Magickal Object is introduced, those equations became invalid because of the sudden erratic motions and twirlings of the pendelum's movement.

6. Wolfsbane

The whole thing's just fantastic. I wish I had that kind of imagination.

7. Did you guys find that by the end of your game, that you have a sort of "Love" for Virgil (if hes still in your party), even though hes just an NPC, hes always at your side. I found that when he left me in quintarra i felt lost and didnt want to continue on without him, luckily i had trusty Sogg Mead Mugg by my side!

8. Wolfsbane

I was devastated the first time he left me in Tsen Ang. He's my favourite follower, and I just love the guy who makes his voice-act.
    Mmm.. Virgil getting upset.

"Follow me idiot! ...I mean, 'Oh Living One'..."

9. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

EVERYTHING.

10. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Yes, really everything.
    The more I talk about it, I realise I am quite a fanatic fan of Arcanum.

The thing that still amazes me in Arcanum is the half-ogre quest. Brilliant!

11. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Brilliant, and grim. Sometimes I want my friends to play arcanum just so that they can involve themselves in that quest.

And you do meet Elder Joachim-- when you get Virgil back, he comes and talks to the both of you. The dialogue was lacking a little though, it seems to me that I spent all this time trying to meet him and when I finally did he didn't talk enough. Meh I still love that sequence, though.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I don't know...When I met Elder Joachim, I expected all ofthes questions about the story to be answered, and I thought Joachim might give Virgil something to help him....Really, I flipped a coin to see whether or not I was gonna kill the guy. I mean, his protege, his young ward, was just beaten to death by a group of criminals that I killed single handedly. In one turn! I shot all of their heads off. I mean, sure, he thanked me, but he didn't really help. Actually, most of what I was griping about is really minor and of no real consequence.

13. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Yes, if only one could finish the quest and see what happens.
    This way something is missing. X-files ending just doesn't work.

14. Wolfsbane

If you take the evil path with Virgil, and travel back to Caladon, you meet with Elder Joachim as well.
    But he wants to kill you in stead of guiding you. He's a tough motherfucker, but I've managed to kill him every time.

15. I have never completed the game with anything but a half elf, im considering starting the game again as an Ogre.

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Virgil's really nice to female characters as well. He still gets irritated and stuff, of course, but he seems to be quicker to apologize. And he can't seem to bring himself to swear properly in front of chicks! XD

I absolutely adore Virgil, I actually wept when he left me in T'Sen Ang, and I swore like a wounded pirate when I found him dead. Those bandits didn't stand a chance.

17. Wolfsbane

I actually managed to rescue him. Long live Tempus Fugit and turn-based combat!!!

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

For some reason he's always dead by the time the area finishes loading. Sigh.

19. Wolfsbane

For me, they start to beat him up when I enter the room. Have only managed to save him once, thou. He ALWAYS dies just before I kill off the last of 'em. Bastards, killing Virgil like that.

Our Host!