Arcanum Revival

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Deleted member 7919, Feb 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You know I like Arcanum, but not as much to spend 8 hours a day to make an engine and an editor (from my otherwise not-so-full-of-spare-time life). In fact, you will hardly find a man who would does this for you. Let alone 5 or more, that you would need at least.

You have a better chance if you find an open-source isometric engine (there are some Fallout-like), and try to modify them.

2. Your right

Your right, you all are...Arcanum was a good game for its time, its world continues to amaze me. It was good for what it was, i will still go ahead with the letters and petition, but if they fail, i hope to see some DAMN GOOD RPGs coming out in the future!

3. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I don't know if that is what he thinks today, but I agree with him.

Also, I think that the only way to make Arcanum is by getting lots of money, buying the Arcanum license from Sierra and collect a team who you pay yourself and then publish the game on your own. Does anyone know how much money that would be needed?

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

If they see that these guys are able to make some money out of it? Argh, that price will be high. How old are you, Tross? Do you have a job? I mean, the only way to do this is to do as Mathboy said. And we'll need somebody with a lot of money.

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

!!!

I'd rather you asked Tim Cain to gather the team and make another crazy cool game, a completely *different* crazy cool game.

6. Thats a nice idea

Thats actually a good idea, a new cool and crazy game from the same team... It TOEE anywhere near as good as arcanum? I am 17 years old and am not earning much money right now. I could get together a few grand by the end of the year. Though a new game could probably be 100 grand to start development.

Heres an idea, if we come up with an idea for a totally new game, based on what we all loved about arcanum, plus more (say like a huge word document that we all take turns at editing) and then we submit it to both Sierra and possibly the dispersed Troika team. How does that sound? It may not be Arcanum 2, but itll be pretty similar.

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I'm just too afraid that it's not ideas they lack, but money. Unless you send your ideas written in grands, I don't think they'll carry out anything.

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Re: Im Stubborn

1. Most people here would sign an online petition asking for an Arcanum 2.
    2. I don't think the Fallout 3 petition (which was started about 6 years ago) had anything to do with Bethesda making Fallout 3.
    3. Fallout 3 is likely to be a pile of suckage, in which case it won't exactly be a good thing that it's getting made.

That's great. No really, it is. But apart from a(nother) website and an online petition, what else are you going to do?

Lovely paragraph there. Let me summarise it: I have no idea what to do so I'll just waffle on about how much I want an Arcanum 2.

So now we're not making Arcanum 2 because Arcanum sucks? Right.

No, no it's not. Most of the code is probably lost. If it's not, it'd be too damn old to worry about picking it up again. You may as well create a new (and better) engine from scratch or license another more recent engine.

You don't even have his e-mail address. Getting that might be a start.

Excellent. Another religious nut on the forum. Just what we need.

About $4 million.

Yeah, we'll setup a paypal account and try to raise $4 million so we can create Arcanum 2.

Whatever happened to "never give up"? Now you've gone from an Arcanum sequel to "anything that's kind of an RPG". The other issue is that submitting game docs to companies WHEN YOU HAVE NO TALENT will not inspire them to fund someone else (or you) to make the game. An idea is not a game.

9. Im not giving up...

Im not giving up Dark Underlord. All im doing is taking all your realist attitudes and combining it with mine and others ideas and dreams for the game to come up with a solution. I dont need your critical attitude either. Why dont you get up off your computer and do something rather than waiting on this forum for people to express their opinion then cutting them down for it. Maybe you should try helping the situation rather than criticising it. Have you ever even been part of an Arcanum revival movement?? How will you know what is possible unless youve tried? Who cares if people have tried in the past, we can try again, and you can start by finding Tim Cains telephone number since you live in America. Good on ya buddy.

10. Bunny wrote:
    Well, think about it this way. Sierra are making new games all the time, what makes them choose one over another? What makes the game developers choose to create a certain game? It ALL starts off with an idea. If we can create that idea and submit it to key people/companies, we might have a shot.

11. oops

U guys are going to think im an idiot for that last post. I meant to say Sierra are PUBLISHING new games all the time..

12. All that aside...

All of that aside...I have actually done some research and have found a major lead for this campaign.

http://www.leonardboyarsky.com/resume.html

Direct your eyes to this website, read through his resume. Leonard Boyarsky was one of the main developers of Arcanum. Im not going to contact him yet but I would like your suggestions on what to approach him with....

13. Wolfsbane

Jesus CHRIST man!!! You actually wrote four posts! :-o
    I will not be supprised to see you banned very soon. You're worse than most when it comes to rule breaking.
    Flame him! FLAME HIM!!!

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Holee Crap! Quadruple post?

Pounding of someone's head will follow! Die!

[edit]:
    'Cause it's fun!

15. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Financial support? The taste of the person investing his money on the project?

16. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Please, Wolfsbane, do not turn this into another stupid thread. Let's instead reply to his ideas and turn them down for what they are, not just the form they are published in.

Trossy:

If you send ideas to Sierra that won't make a difference, most (all?) companies who work with creative creation of any kind have a policy about not accepting unsolicited ideas, mostly to save themselves from copy-right related stuff. If someone sends his ideas to a company and they make a game from it they realise that he will probably want money.

The ideas they might accept are ones from game-developers who are willing to make the game too.

Also, what makes you think that we here, most of us not professional writers, will come up with the perfect idea for a game?

Why don't you turn your energy towards making a game by yourself (or with friends) instead of trying to get Sierra to make your dream-game for you? I think the chance of your game being completed is way greater than the chance that Sierra might develop what you want them to. You'd also not have to care about making a profit.

The future of RPGs lie among the indie-developers!

Also, please don't say we don't do anything, DarkUnderlord has been part of this site, one of the main Arcanum and Troika fan pages for five years, and has been admin here, fixing it so we can show our support to Troika, for a long time too.

If you didn't know Leonard Boyarsky was one of the makers of Arcanum, I suggest you'd done some more research about it before starting this mess. Also you might want to play through Arcanum some more times, four (I think that was what you said in an earlier post) is certainly not enough to see the full wonderfullness of it.

17. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Why post four in a row when you can edit your post?

18. Well, I suppose it just wont be done then. Ive learnt alot of lessons from this. Its awesome, you can even learn things from the internet, through RPG game forums! lol. Ive learnt not to speak too quickly, not to claim to have all the answers and to respect authority. Theres a saying "to have authority, you must first learn to work under authority". Im sorry guys, i was an idiot. I guess ill just merge into the forums and post normally about Arcanum, i mean afterall theres still so much adventure to be had. Please do not tear me apart for giving up, i realise i was stupid, i thought through charismatic speech and preach i could at least gain some of your support, but nobody believed in me, so this is the end. I have not heard from Amy in days now. Peace fellow Arcanum brothers...And i now know how to edit my posts...

19. Wolfsbane

Good, good, my young apprentice. You've learned something here today, but don't you damn give up! You don't have to stop deaming just because the lot of us lazy bastards don't believe in this. It's people like you who get's things done.
    Get some more info about the whole thing and get some funds, and heck, there might just be a Arcanum 2 one day, all thanks to you.

Good luck and godspeed.

Our Host!