Arcanum Revival

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Deleted member 7919, Feb 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GREETINGS ARCANUM LOVERS,
    THERE IS SOMETHING BREWING!

This is the dawning of a new age for us arcanum fans, since the closure of Troika Gmaes things have been looking GRIM. But i bring good news, news that we all want to hear! ARCANUM WILL RETURN! Me and a few other Arcanum Fans are starting to collaborate ideas on how to attack this and here is what we have come up with so far:

Sierra is the Key, they own the rights to arcanum and ultimately decide
    whether a second one might be made.

We need to get Tim Cain's email address or phone number, he is the man
    with all the ideas for Arcanum 2 and the man who really made it all
    happen.

Bethesda Softworks may be an elegible candidate for the new game, as
    Troika games has closed down as im sure you are already aware of...

We need to find a place where lots of arcanum fans hang out for
    support, or send a chain mail around, or even post on Terra-Arcanum.com to inform people of our movement.

Ive sent emails to Bethesda Softworks and We are drafting emails to Sierra and Tim Cain to get this show on the road. Amy Lewis, a skilled web designer has agreed to host an arcanum Campaign Rally site at her home site www.webmuseart.com which is finely crafted. This web page will be in production by next week or so. There will be forums, petitions, polls and more, all dedicated to Arcanum 2 and the revival of Tim Cain/Troika.

Amy has talents in web design, English and writing, Art and just a general Passion for Arcanum . She is the campaign coordinator and our "voice" to the big guys.

I myself, <deleted> am the charismatic Arcanum crazed fanatic who will be gathering support and signatures from everybody for this new movement. We will not give up until this sequel is in production!!!!! If you have any further enquiries or wish to join our movement, email either Amy () or myself () with questins and suggestions.

WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN GUYS!

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I have deleted four copies of this post, if you make one more you will be banned.

3. what the?

you must seriously hate arcanum, you are crazy man! Fine sit here for the rest of your life and talk about the past and be phesimistic, but i am going to see this sequel made. Thanks for having no hope man

4. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Having hope!=Posting the same stupid shit five times.

5. dude

you are so narrow minded, just because you have so much power on these forums doesnt mean you should stop people expressing hope to the arcanum public, were all on the same side here!!!! dont you see? 2001 was a long time ago now, this isnt going to last for long, we all need to start thinking about Arcanum 2.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I'm all for Freedom of Speech, but please, tell me why you define it as the ability to post the same stuff over and over again.

7. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Trossy, when you join a forum, you agree to abide by it's rules. One of this forum's rules is "don't spam". You spammed. A lot.

Oh, and every once in a while people like you show up here, all "I've got money and lots of friends and I'm also a naive dumbfuck who think I can influence huge companies if I just spam them with enough emails." I still haven't heard any good news from them, though.

8. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Trossy, if you spam them with enough SMS, each for 3..4 €, then you can slowly collect eough money for them to make Arcanum 2 (too bad this doesn't work at e-mail or forum reply). Otherwise don't expect anything.

Oh, and I almost forgot: IF YOU ARE PLAYING WITH OUR HOPES WE WILL FUCK YOU AND KILL YOU AND FUCK YOU AGAIN!!!

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

10. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Ok, maybe I should respond to your post too.
    ALL CAPS!
    You do know that Tim Cain wasn't alone making Arcanum? I think the game wasn't even his idea.
    :-( I seriously hope you're not serious about that, if you are, I will ban you and delete your message before some other assholes starts supporting the idea.

I don't know what Arcanum was to you, but I hope it wasn't running around in a generic, but big, boring world talking to wiki-inspired NPC while power-gaming. If you look at Bethesda Softworks' games you might notice that that is what the ones they develop are about.
    Chain mail... It is good against piercing damage, it isn't a good way to collect people for game-revivals. Who would you start by sending it to? And who, who isn't interested in the game would really forward the mail to anybody?
    Tim Cain isn't santa, you need his e-mail adress to e-mail him.

At least the web-designer looks skilled, Flash is wonderful!

Only problem is you shouldn't start advertising a week before starting to produce the web site for your project. Do you really think people are interested enough to sit waiting for a couple of weeks before being able to post in a forum and sign a petition?
    It's really charismatic to post the same shit in five places on the same site.
    I LIKE CAPS!

11. Ok

Let me start by apologising for breaking the rules of the forum. I thought i could waltz in here and give everyone hope and just cause we all love arcanum, that we could band together and make this happen. Im sorry, I made myself out to be some sort of knight in shining armour. Alas, everything i said was true, we are starting to draft letters and there will be a web page. I was very tired lastnight. Sorry guys...

I realise im a noob on these froums but i have come to a realisation that soon Terra Arcanum will have no fuel to run on. How far are we going to get from the year 2001 (date of Arcanum's release), before we realise that something needs to be done?

Tim cain was the lead developer of Arcanum to answer your question.

I thought Bethesda softworks as they are making Fallout 3 eventually. The fallout series are very similar style to Arcanum.

Okay, im not claiming to have all the ideas and say that we are getting things done, but i believe that together, we can forge one last try to get Arcanum 2 made. What do you guys say?

12. have faith

oh and vyenna, im not naive, i just have faith in this...what harm is there in having faith?

13. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Second rule you violated: Double posting. As for faith, screw faith. it's what fucks this world up. Rely on cold hard facts and maybe you'll get somewhere.

Yes you are a noob here, and why won't we have fuel?? As long as people like you keep showing up, we've got plenty of fuel, methinks.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hooookay, here comes the opinion of someone trained in the wonderful worlds of modern business and law:

1. This will NOT work. Seriously. The sad fact is that you're not going to be able to find the support to make Sierra listen. Whilst it's nice to see people willing to go out of their way to try and revive good things, your spelling, grammar and overall presentation have already proven that you haven't got a hope of getting people to take you seriously.

2. If Sierra/Troika had thought that Arcanum 2 was warranted, they'd already be working on it. Besides, Arcanum is one of those special games that SHOULDN'T have a sequel. Why? Because it has a unique magic that could NEVER be recreated.

3. You think people haven't already tried things like this?

4. Posting 5 copies of the same post, double-posting, and generally acting like an idiot isn't going to get our support. We have rules, we have brains, and we have a lot of fury and evil in our number. You shot yourself in the foot before you even started.

5. "I realise im a noob on these froums but i have come to a realisation that soon Terra Arcanum will have no fuel to run on." Oh yeah, THAT'S going to get us on your side. Like all good forums, we will survive.

15. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Re: Ok

Yes, yes they are the key but as has been said, if Sierra thought Arcanum was a worthwhile franchise, we'd have had a sequel by now and be begging for Arcanum 3.

While he's a key player, you can't lump it all on the guy. What you'd need is Tim Cain and Friends (sounds like a TV show) to get together and start another game company. Given they already tried that with Troika, they may not be so inclined. You also need a publisher's support which would be difficult for a group of guys who "failed the last time" (finanfically at least). That said, I'd love it if Tim had the guts to give it another go now that he knows how to run a business a lot more than he did before. And hey, most business people fail the first time around.

Here's your other problem. Terra-Arcanum is the largest Arcanum fan-forum still around (besides the official one - which I haven't actually checked in a few years). We're not exactly brimming with members. There's a handful of people and that's about it. Add in the lurkers and you've still got less than a 1,000 people.

Good luck with that.

Hopefully she can write better than you.

I thought your surname was "Toss" for a minute there. Heh.

Yes, if you managed to hold a protest outside of Sierra's office with about 1 milion people marching in support, then yes, yes you could. The problem is that I believe Sierra couldn't care less about a small group of fans who are clamouring for a game that Sierra has no intention of making. If they did try a sequel, they'd probably run into more complaints from the fans, like if they tried to make it first-person.

Not the way Bethesda are going to make it. I think Fallout 3 will be a very different kettle of fish.

I think we'd have more luck if we started working on an "Arcanum 2" mod project, rather than waiting for Sierra to see enough doallar signs.

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons to why there will be no sequel, just to add up, is Arcanums lack of incomes. The game didn't attract enough oney, so why would the sequel? Companies like Sierra doesn't care about a game that's brilliant but generally unkown to most, they want a game that becomes famous in a short while and produces a lot of money in said time.

17. Well...

Hey Guys,

You were all right about one thing, I shot myself in the foot before I started. e.g bad grammer, spelling and punctuation etc. I should have prepared more before posting some load of crap that I had not thought deeply about, I was merely excited. I am sorry for my actions in the past couple of days. One thing I am really tired of hearing is "we can't do it". Even though its going to be a long journey, I would not have started this if I didn't think I could finish it. So, all that aside, I would really like to know how many of you are with me on this and how many aren't, and if anyone could help me with the further development of this campaign.

Everything has a beginning. The earth had a beginning, Troika had a beginning (and unfortunately an end), Bill Gates had a beginning. Well, im here to tell you that I believe in a new beginning. Im believing that in years to come, Arcanum 2 fans will look back on the beginning of this post, these forums and our campaign and be so grateful for what we have achieved. Although this beginning may seem EXTREMELY futile now, once we all start to have faith and work together, this will be more possible than we imagined.

Its true that Arcanum did not sell well. This was probably due to lack of advertising and the name "Troika" not being very well known yet. This is irrelevant now as Troika is officially closed, so we will have to find another game development company to host the game.

Im not a man with many smart ideas, proposals or charismatic speeches but I guarantee I will evoke the man who is. Im a man who is breaking free of the prison of small thinking and working to get the cogs turning. Im thinking BIG. Alot of you say that they will never listen to us, but im believing our voice to be heard. "Easier said than done" you say, well im inclined to agree, but im going to have integrity in this case. Im not going to stop until we reach Sierra's hearts, minds and conscience. Im not going to stop until we are all well aquainted with the whole Arcanum team. I wont stop until the last authoritive man on the last straw says "No, this sequel will not be made". I think that authorative man will say yes though. Not yes to money, not yes to some huge petition, yes because he sees our hearts and the potential of this game.

You know what? Theres no real reason why the game has to be published as "Arcanum 2", we could even suggest a different publication title to counter-attack the stereotype and propoganda of this game. The fact is the Arcanum engine is just sitting there waiting to be used and improved, all it needs is a team of people to man it.

Okay, so maybe Timothy Cain is not God, but he seems to be the man who really loved Arcanum and was really passionate about a sequel. Altough he himself may not have the power to see Arcanum back into production, he may hold some key answers as to what to do next.

So, if your with me, lets start getting ideas thrown around, we want a "can do" attitude.

Regards

18. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I think you're too enthusiastic about this, my fellow Tross. Many have tried this before and failed, and some here might consider you an idiot for trying this again. If you want a sequel, join up with the guys who are making a fan-made mod sequel instead of trying to win Sierra over.
    They will not listen, I assure you.
    For them, this is not about passion or quality, it's all about money. Some of their employees might agree with you when they see your ambition and passion, but their bosses will probably not. They just want to make as much money as it is possible in a lifetime, and they would, according to them and previous results, only lose money on such a project.
    Speak with some of the guys in the mods forum. They might want someone like you or your friends as co-workers on the mod sequel. This is a cruel reality to face, but I don't think that the idea of a sequel will prevail in the long run.

That's what I think.

Regards / Wolfsbane

19. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

It's nice that you are bringing so much enthusiasm into the forum.
    Yes many of the people here can be harshly critical but in this instance they are correct.

If dreams were all that was needed then Fallout 2 would have been made years ago. Ah but Fallout 3 is in the works, I hear you cry. We could do it for Arcanum!
    Look at the number of Fallout fansites out there. Compare to the number of active Arcanum sites (2?) and you will see why Arcanum 2 will not be made.

It's nice to have dreams. It can be nice to be optimistic but optimism, by definition, is an unrealistic view of reality. When you come in here with your big speeches people probably have flashbacks to Team Lore.
    I wish you every success in your project but do not expect realists to join you in your crusade.

20. Im Stubborn

Its quite Ironic actually. This is an Arcanum fansite. Arcanum is an adventure where anything is possible, you recruit team members and have great influence on the world. We have our reincarnation of Nasrudin (myself) and our Virgil (Amy), we now need a Sogg Mead Mugg and so on...Lets say the managing director of Sierra is Gilbert Bates. I know this is the real world, I would just expect the fans of this game to be more adventurous.

1. We all only live once.
    2. Passion, faith and confidence can get you anywhere in life.
    3. Every person can make a difference.

I almost gave up when I saw all your realist posts, but as I thought about it and remembered what i have written, in this case i shall show integrity. Im here for you guys. IF you wont join me, at least try some suggestions, I dont want pros and cons or challenges, ill figure all that out, all i want is ideas, no matter how far fetched they may seem.

Also, when the petition site is up, I beg that you sign it for at least recognition of a great game, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Thanks guys...[/quote]

Our Host!