Heavy Metal!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rEt.aR.d, Nov 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What's the best music genre?

1. Heavy Metal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Classical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Punk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rhythm and Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gospel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Latin American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Eletronic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Reggae

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Hip Hop / Rap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I listen to punk, some of it stuff Sleek_Jeek recommended when he was here and some I've found on my own too.

rosie, you're a redneck, you should lynch niggers, not listen to punk.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Heavy metal is often deliberately abrasive and crude. If he's not a fan of that sort of thing it's not too hard to imagine that it would, to him, sound like noise. This has nothing to do with whether he "knows what he's talking about", since it's only his own reaction to the sound that he's describing.

Clearly. :roll:

3. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

This may be the musician in me talking, but even though I can't stand classical music, I dont think its noise. Neither is rap, hip hop, or techno/trance. I think when you listen to music, you have to look deep to find its true value. Think about the composition, how each riff plays on eachother, how the bassline rips up the beat, making it delightfully unbalanced, how the drums fits with the rest and how the vocals glues it all together. This is why Queen is so awesome. No other band does all of the above so perfectly.

4. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Have you ever canon by pachabel?
    Mozart and vivaldi made some very great examples of that one in their time. Vivaldis version in d moll is what I consider the most beatuiful music ever made.

Or the midnight sonata by bethoven. Pure beauty I say. Not to mention vivaldi The Four Seasons. Or the Schoone blaue donau. These things are still popular +200 years after the death of their creators, it is so for a reason.

Funny my grandparents say the exact oppsite about metal. They say it is only noise, no music. And no matter my attempts to convince them othervise they just listen nod their head and think that i'm wrong and that the youth of today has really fallen to low levels.

IN the writing moment I have heard through mettalicas sad but true and just now i'm listning to chopin grande valse brilliante. Very nice contrast.

I tend to try not to discriminate against any kind of music, because sooner or later whenever I have decided that I don't like a genre, there is a genius out there that make some music in the genre , have just decided to dislike that is just great, and that have to listen to(the only ones that has not yet achived this feat is swedish dansingbands). Also there is too many people out there that define themselves by the music they listen to and therefore starts to act all weird.

As for mainstream, there is some good, but it is all too plastic constructed right now. Wich is one of the atractive things about classical music, it is so historic and highly elevated that, not even the music industry can defile it.
    Ofcourse now when I have said it, i'm certain that soon we will have Eminem rapping to fûr elise.

But as I allways say :Smaken er som baken, den er stor, den er delt og den er hårete, men den er framfor alt delt.

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

But you know why, right? Because old people are stubborn bastards that always has to be right, never admits that they're wrong and refuses to change sides on the sidewalk if I'm walking straight towards them. They just continue straight forward until you stand there, face to face, then they slap and yell at you as you reluctantly change sides. It's a conspiracy, man! A conspiracy, I say!

6. Canis

Canis New Member

Hey, here's an idea: How about you get out of their way and avoid a confrontation with your elders? You won't hear their bitching and you'll have even more reason to feel superior to them, what a deal!

7. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Why would I want to give them the pleasure? I ain't going down without a fight. Besides, if I've been walking on the same side of the sidewalk for a long time, that side is mine, all mine. I guess I'm just bitchy like that. If you have a problem with it, then why don't you catch the next plane to Norway, and we'll sort it out, yeah?

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I'll just say:
    1) Queen has had its ups and downs just like every other group / band / artist, but it was definitely GREAT when Mercury was the singer. He had a privileged voice and the fact that he was gay doesn't mean a thing. (I respected what you said up to that point, rEt, now you're like the next member of this forum.)
    2) Vivaldi is boring. Truly boring. Not all classical music is, though, I love most of it, but Vivaldi is an expert in boredom.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Fathers of metal? I would say Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. Early and mid 70s.

Metallica were really true to metal up until the black album. That album is the beggining of nu metal. A trend to change and adjust your style to suit the common masses. That album is different, it's what sold and everyone should agree, sounded different. Load continued that tradition I'm not even going to mention the rest and god forbid someone liked that piece of trash st. anger.

BecauseI listen to hundreds of artitst, metal, pop, techo, trip-hop, glitch pop and basically anything I can get my hands on, I understand why people like those metallica albums (black, load, reload), heck I like them too. But please don't mention them as some sort of holy grail in heavy metal.

Artists that I perticularly like

Aphex Twin(fav of all time)
    Massive Attack
    Way Out West
    Kilowatts
    Manowar
    Children of Bodom
    Demons and Wizards(Blind Guardian)
    Tool/Perfect Circle
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Nirvana
    Iron Maiden

I also collect game music, my collection starts from early c-64, gameboy, nintendo and amiga to our everyday game music.

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

So what if they didn't "stay true" to metal? They stayed true to themselves. They did what they wanted to do. Why should they care about what *you* think? I think 'St.Anger' was a really strong album, the best since 'Metallica'. But there were good songs on 'Load' and 'Reload' too. 'St.Anger' was a return to their roots, a return to thrash. There's nothing new with them playing that kind of music, in fact, it's really old news. It's just that people forgot it after '...and justice for all'.

Now that i think about it, I'd put Metallica in their very own category.

[edit]: Oh, and if Vivaldi is the expert of boredom, then I have no fucking clue what APC is. The kings of boredom?

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

since i got a nigglet niece, the whole lynching thing is now frowned upon...

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I just said he was an expert, not the. We've got many other examples... Like many "artists" from Latin America. :)

14. mathboy

mathboy New Member

TRAITOR!

15. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

What do you think about Ozi Osborn?

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Who the fuck is Ozi Osborn? I've heard of Ozzy Osbourne.... But Ozi Osborn? that's just not right man...

17. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Yes, I meant him. It's grammatic mistake - I didn't know how this name spelled

18. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I'd put them in the sellout category. No offense to them or anyone, I said I like them. And it's funny, but metallica makes trash sound like hardcore.

In fact they sucked so badly that one of them left (or so goes the joke).

19. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

As I said, they did what they felt good about, they didn't sell out. Not at all, in fact they went away from the mainstream music, which shows their independence.

20. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Beethoven? Is that a new act in the states? Haven't heard of them out here.

Our Host!