What is the formula for weapon speed/damage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by eldestpredator, Oct 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. eldestpredator

eldestpredator New Member

I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how weapon speed works with damage to calculate damage per time. For instance, Balanced sword has a speed of 23 and average damage of 7.5, and Featherweight Axe has a speed of 17 and a slightly higher average damage, but 23/17 > Axe average damage/Balanced Sword average damage. So I'm at a loss as to why the Balanced Axe is better (and my NPCs auto-equip it).

Does someone have the damage per time formula involving character speed, character strength, weapon speed, and weapon damage? I can't find it using the search function. Thanks in advance.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, multiply the speed of the weapon by it's damage and compare it to the other weapons.

Stoichiometrically it looks like you did just about that.

3. eldestpredator

Right, but if I do that, it shows the Balanced Sword has higher damage over time than the axe. I could say that Magnus then equips the axe just because dwarves like axes, but it doesn't answer why the Axe is the tier 3 smithing schematic and the sword is tier 2. It seems them putting the Axe after the Sword is Troika indicating that the Axe is somehow better. I just can't figure it out without a formula other than strictly multiplying speed*average damage.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, you can craft Pyrotechnic axes with it, and I guess that should be reflected in it's position in the tech tree.

5. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Why is the formula so important??......if you want a good weapon....buy a sword of air!!!!

6. eldestpredator

Your post = non-helpful crap.

7. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

want something helpfull!!!....ok.....maibe the NPC doesn't see only attack.....he sees also the fatigue that the weapon take...maybe that's why....

8. eldestpredator

If you don't have the answer to my question, you don't have to post anything. I am perfectly capable of guessing myself.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Wow. Officially, I have to say you are a new member, try not to be as snappy with the older forumers. Unofficially, yes, he is a dumbass, everyone knows it.

Sadly, I can only conjecture as to the nature too, I don't know. Perhaps there is, like Gabriel suggested, another parameter. Axes do deal more fatigue damage per hit than swords.

10. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I think part of the design idea was that you wouldn't really get to know what weapon was really better than another.
    I fully support being snappy with whoever you feel like, too. Calis drops by and posts something rude? say whatever nastiness you like

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Because this is The Regime and here we're all equals. I just happen to be a bit more equal than the lot of you.

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I'll have to agree with that.

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Wow, you're a new member, keep it cool. Of course, Ialso support saying nasty shit like that, but man, let people know you're here before talking shit. :)

14. Canis

Canis New Member

Gabriel is also a new member, and he's been very rude to even newer members who didn't deserve it on more than one occasion. He had it coming.

15. Xz

Very true, but, I never said that Gabriels doings were ok. :)

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Hehe, this is funny. The first time were ever nice to a new member and it's because he was mean to another member.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

We should always be decent to them until they start acting like idiots. Case in point: Gabriel. If a new member (or anyone else) wants to get snippy with him over some assholish comment he's made, that's fine with me. It's not like there's some forum rule that says all new members should roll over and piss themselves for everyone else, even well-established, respectable, elder members like Gabriel, here for a whopping month-and-a-half.

God knows I'm all for being a total jerkoff, but if you do it all the time without discretion the novelty wears off.

18. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

..sorry eldestpredator....won't happen again...

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

20. Xz

And here I was hoing for a flame war...

Our Host!