Random observations / questions

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by TONGSyaBASS, May 23, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Virgil automatically puts on ladies boots rather than normal boots.
    Anyone know why?

Gnome PC insults result in an increased reaction.
    Is this because my character (first gnome I have played) has high charisma or is it a general gnomish trait?
    I know it says they have a reaction modifier in the racial description but surely a bonus for insults is just...stupid.

Gar will only wear barbarian graphic type armour.
    Is this because they never made graphics for orcs wearing other armours?

I couldn't get Thorvald to join me on the Isle of Despair. I was a few levels below him so I left the island to go and level up. I released Cynthia Boggs (captive woman) in Ashbury. Later when I went back to the isle, who was standing there in the compound?
    "Thank you for saving me" Even though she was back in the compound when saying this.

Using the Dark Helm trick to give my followers high MA (which also makes them evil). Will this change anything?
    I have max charisma and persuasion so my followers won't leave me but if I didn't have that, would my newly evil followers leave my good character?
    Also, will my tech characters screw up their tech skills if they have 100 MA? I tried to make healing salve with Jayna and she seemed to make just as many on average as she did before I gave her high MA.
    Yes, I know this is a horrible cheap trick but I am fed up with my followers being near-neutral so the bonus from magic items (and tech to a lesser degree) is wasted on them.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

All followers do this, for some unknown desire of programmers.

If you are getting a negative reaction from an NPC or follower, it is bumped up by 10 points. This doesn't work for people you attack or on someone who has a reaction that is 35 points or higher (give or take, I'm not positive of the exact number).

He only wears barbarian armour because he only wears barbarian armour, the reason you suggest could be true, but there may be some deeper meaning, again, the whims of programmers.

To get Thorvald to join you you need a Persuasion of 3 or more. Cynthia Boggs returns after being freed, because she returns to her home. She wanted to see the outside world, but couldn't, you made that possible, thus saving her in her eyes.

Followers you make evil won't leave you, there are certain followers that won't join you unless or will leave you if you are too evil for them, but most ordinary followers don't give a damn how evil they are no matter how many bunnies or sheep you make them slaughter.

Tech characters with high MA won't be able to use Tech items as well due to higher crit fail rate. They also won't use tech items on each other or themselves such as healing salves because their high MA makes them less effective.

3. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I went back when I was level 23. I have persuasion 5 (Expert), charisma 20, beauty 19 and intelligence 19. He still won't join me.
    I have come to the conclusion that he will never join a gnome, regardless of stats. I suppose this makes sense when you consider his hatred for gnomes.

4. Quaid

Quaid Member

hmm. have you heard him speak yet??

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Ah, this is true. He will not join gnomes, forgot to mention that.

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Actually I had been wondering if Virgil's dark secret in his past was that he used to be a ladyboy working the streets.

Yes. Every single time he speaks he says 'bloody' at least 5 times and it makes my bloody toes bloody curl bloody up.

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Now, what's that you're saying about Virgil? Wait a minute... Is that the reason why he never flirts with female characters? :???:
    Anyway, how come you could come back to the Isle of Despair?

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

If you don't get all the information you need from Thorvald, the option remains to go back to the Isle of Despair. This prevents you from getting your game stuck at a point where you can't advance due to leaving areas early.

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Wow, I didn't know that... It's just that I always got the info I wanted... adn anyway, I remember that one of the walkthroughs said that you couldn't do it. Thanks for the info then!

Our Host!