Luchaire's Arcanum Magick System Revision

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Luchaire has modified the Arcanum spells slightly, adjusting some old ones and adding in a few new ones. Here's just a handful of the changes:
    <br><blockquote>Spells in with one * are modified old spells; spells with two ** are new spells, other spells are unchanged although they might have moved around between colleges. A brief description of new/modified spells is given.
    <br>
    <br>Phantasm
    <br>*Illuminate, WP: 5, Cost: 5, Duration 30 seconds, no maintenance, increased radius of light
    <br>Flash, WP: 8, Cost: 10, Duration 10 seconds, no maintenance
    <br>*Displacement, WP: 11, Cost: 15 + 2@10, Blur Sight, AC + 35
    <br>Phantasmal Fiend, WP: 14, Cost: 20 + 4@10
    <br>Invisibility, WP: 17, Cost: 30 + 6@10
    <br>
    <br>Necromancy
    <br>**Zombie Minion, Cost: 10 + 1@10, summons lvl 3 zombie
    <br>**Skeletal Warrior, Cost: 15 + 3@10, summons lvl 7 skeleton
    <br>**Undead Champion, Cost: 30 + 5@10, summons lvl 20 undead champion
    <br>**Vampiric Touch, Cost: 40, Does 15-40 damage to non-undead/non-mechanical within range of 1 and heals caster by that amount
    <br>*Create Undead, Cost: 50, Duration: 10 minutes, no maintenance</blockquote>
    <br>You can read the rest of the changes and <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/dload.php?action=file&file_id=51">download Luchaire's Arcanum Magick System Revision from here</a>.
    <br>
    <br>Thanks <b>Luchaire</b>!

2. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

[copied from the other thread]

Cool. :) Thanks, DU.

I've played a LOT since doing the mod, and it seems to be virtually problem free. Which is to say, the spells themselves work perfectly as intended, but there is occasion weirdness in the module itself where certain spell "effects" are scripted in. For example, when doing the Crystal Ball quest for Madame Toussade... when you give the cursed ball to the fake gypsy (whose name eludes me), the game intends for her to be killed by a Quench Life. Regrettably, what now happens is that she does indeed die and the quest is complete-able, but the visual effect you get is the one for Familiar, since I replaced the former Quench Life with that spell. Thus, you have a familiar suddenly floating in the room that is not attached to anybody and will do nothing but float in the air - not critical and not quest-breaking, just annoying. And without modifying the module itself, unavoidable.

But if one can live with things of that nature, the end result is a (in my opinion) more fun spell system. And having your alignment slowly shift to evil for repeatedly casting spells like Soulwound and Soul Cage is priceless. ;)

EDIT: Also note, between the time I posted that list of spell changes and the actual initial upload of the mod, I made a few final tweaks, so there may be slight discrepancies between that listing and actual damage/cost numbers.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    :)

Then I only have one question... where is the Arouse Virgil spell?

4. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Soooo....

Is anybody using this? Comments? Suggestions?

Hate mail even? :p

5. zultdush

zultdush New Member

i sent you an email just now. the zip is unfortunately corrupt :(
    *crys* I needs to play with your magick mod. arcanum doenst exist w/out it now. its just toooooo good sounding.

6. DarkUnderlord

Ahah! So it is you who's finding everything's corrupt then? You may want to check your version of WinZip or your computer or hell, something. Every file that's been called corrupt of late has worked fine for me and others who have tested it.

7. zultdush

zultdush New Member

........................................... deleted......................................

8. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

get another download manager maybe?

9. Krystian

Krystian New Member

wow do you guys play arcanum? i mean i can't find anyone else who still plays it part from me and also i can't find anyone who'll join my multiplayer or anyone whose created their own multi player

10. Bunny

Bunny New Member

No, not the multiplayer again...

11. DarkUnderlord

12. Krystian

Krystian New Member

lol well i think it would be good......

why's my name in red?

don't answer that question i figured it out :p oh yeah and if ya ever do go on multiplayer my games called "Krystian" also the avatar is only temporary while i figure out how to upload my own on

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    No, it isn't.

See previous answer.

That's why the "edit" button is there.

Sorry, but you can't do that. You've got to stick with what selection there is.

14. Krystian

Krystian New Member

firstly i did use the edit button :p second damn! i want my own avatar :( third my name was in red :p and fourth your oppinion is that it isn't good and your oppinion doesn't affect my judgement i think it would be good and that's that, if you don't like it fine the fact that you don't like it doesn't make it bad or mean that other people have to think the same way as you

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Have you ever tried playing Arcanum multiplayer? I've tried, and it sucked something horrendously. We spent what felt like hours fiddling with this and that before everyone could connect, and when we finally managed to do that, people kept flying out of the game constantly.

Multiplayer in Arcanum was an afterthought. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even meant to be before the publisher felt they wanted it. Hence the suckiness.

16. Krystian

Krystian New Member

well i have tried but no ones ever joined my host game and i can't seem to connect to the internet multiplayer everytime i creat an account it says "cannot create account already exists" even when i have a name like this "kjfdhgdj" which no one else could have it says that so i haven't played multiplayer with anyother real players lol

17. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Mr Krystian, you have provided us with extremely valuable information; thanks to you, we can confirm that Arcanum MP suc--- I mean, doesn't work properly and, what's more important, never will.
    End of the story.

18. Xz

Dear Mr. Krystian, I hope you'll either stop digging or that you'll be banned, I couldn't care less actually aslong as it's one of them. (You've given me a really bad first impression of you.)

As for your whining about not being able to log in to the won net servers; go to http://won.net/ download the sierra account manager, create your account and then you can log in from in-game Arcanum.

Oh, and please try to write properly, and ending your post with a period would be much better than a "lol" which I feel is not appropriate to use in here as this is not a bloody chat medium.

Worst wishes.

-Xz

19. Krystian

Krystian New Member

ok you're definatley american because you use very simple language, you're very hostile not in your words but in what you mean and also you're the one who's causing trouble and giving me a bad impression of you therefore you should be banned not me

20. Xz

Now that's just insulting. Calling me an American? pheew. Anyway let's see who has the highest rank of me and you? Yeah that's right, so just shut up and follow the fucking rules.

And gee, you noticed that I'm hostile did you? You're not as dim as you seemed, but still not too bright are you?

Our Host!