Mods in progress

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by TONGSyaBASS, Apr 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I was just wondering how many people out there are actively working on mods?
    Is it a stand alone mod or is it an addition to the main game?
    Anyone working on hacks to fix problems or introduce more options?

In particular, is Sinbad still improving his efforts? I've read a few posts where he said he is still working on them but the last one I saw was December.
    Also he asked for feedback about the machined armour:
    I would definitely like to see the strength fix added to your hacks.
    Having the gun balancing, arachnid fixes and the machined plate fix all together would make me a happy technologist. It would be nice if the scaling encounter modifications could be added too (the CB ones).
    Being attacked by 1 random orc when I have a level 30 party is just...stupid.

I plan to work on a mod this summer. Nothing too ambitious just a smallish stately home and a secret research compound. However my formal computer training ended with BASIC and COMAL in high school so we'll see how it goes.
    (That means expect questions, lots of questions).
    :D

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You won't need either of them unless you're trying to rewrite the game mechanics.

3. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Well, I just finished a total revision of the Arcanum magic system. It was a project I started a couple years ago but set aside when I got sucked into the addiction known as Morrowind. Recently got back into Arcanum and decided to finish this for my own amusement. I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Well, don't leave me in suspense. What did you do to the magic system?

Does the lack of replies mean no one is working on mods anymore or simply that the modders don't post?

According to Troika 50% of Arcanum owners would try modding and 5% would make proper mods that others would play. So that's 11,700 (234, 000 x 0.05) completed mods out there! I guess they must be on the part of the internet I don't have access to.

5. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Okay, well here's what the colleges and spells look like in my game now. Spells in italics are modified old spells; spells in bold are new spells, other spells are unchanged although they might have moved around between colleges. A brief description of new/modified spells is given.

WP is the willpower required to learn/cast the spell. Most are the same as ever, but a few are slightly different.

Manipulation
    Unlocking Cantrip, WP: 8, Cost: 10
    Congeal Time, WP: 10, Cost: 10 + 2@10

Hasten, WP: 12, Cost: 20 + 3@10
    Teleport, WP: 16, Cost: 40
    Tempus Fugit, WP: 20, Cost: 50 + 5@10
    Divination
    Sense Alignment, WP: 6, Cost: 5 + 1@10
    See Contents, WP: 8, Cost: 10
    Read Aura, WP: 10, Cost: 15
    Sense Hidden, WP: 12, Cost: 25 + 5@10
    Divine Magick, WP: 15, Cost: 30
    Elemental Air
    Poison Vapors, Cost: 10 + 1@3, poison + fatigue dmg
    Call Winds, Cost: 10
    Choking Cloud, Cost: 15 + 1@2, chokes those in cloud – fatigue 10-35 + 5-15 per 3 secs
    Body of Air, Cost: 25 + 2@10
    Call Air Elemental, Cost: 50 + 5@10
    Elemental Earth
    Stone Fist, Cost: 5 + 1@10, Hardened Hands
    Stone Throw, Cost: 10, Damage: 10-50/Scaled
    Wall of Stone, Cost: 15 + 1@10
    Body of Stone, Cost: 25 + 2@10
    Call Earth Elemental, Cost: 50 + 5@10
    Elemental Fire
    Resist Fire, Cost: 5 + 1@10, Fire Resist 50%
    Wall of Fire, Cost: 10 + 1@10
    Fireball, Cost: 15
    Body of Fire, Cost: 25 + 2@10
    Call Fire Elemental, Cost: 50 + 5@10
    Elemental Water
    Ice Shard, Cost: 5, Damage: 5-25/Scaled, hits target with shard of ice
    Call Fog, Cost: 10 + 1@10
    Ice Storm, Cost: 15 + 5@10, Damage: 5-25 + 3-15 per 10secs
    Body of Water, Cost: 25 + 2@10
    Call Water Elemental, Cost: 50 + 5@10
    Energy
    Shock, Cost: 10, Electrical Damage: 2-20/Scaled, Radius 1
    Negate Magic, Cost: 10, Disperse Magick
    Wall of Energy, Cost: 15 + 2@10, Wall of Force
    Static Nova, Cost: 35, Electrical Damage: 20-50/Scaled, Radius 3
    Bolt of Lightning, Cost: 50, Electrical Damage: 100-200/Scaled
    Enchantment
    Charm, Cost: 5 + 1@10
    Psychic Blast, Cost: 10, Stun
    Befuddle, Cost: 15 + 1@10, Reduces WP and IN by 50%
    Nightmare, Cost: 20
    Dominate Will, Cost: 25 + 6@10
    Animism
    Conjure Spirit, Cost: 10 + 3@10
    Fortify Will, Cost: 15 + 3@5, Increases willpower by 4, non-stackable
    Soulwound, Cost: 30, Fatigue Damage: 25-75, one non-undead/non-mechanical target

Spirit Binding, Cost: 35 + 5@10, Bonds of Magick
    Soul Cage, Cost: 50, Slays one non-undead/non-mechanical target unless save is made, works the way Quench Life was supposed to work
    Transmutation
    Beautify, Cost: 5 + 1@10, Raises beauty 6 pts, non-stackable
    Body of the Warrior, Cost: 15 + 3@10, Raises ST, CN, DX by 3, non-stackable

Shrink, Cost: 25, Duration 10 seconds, no maintenance cost
    Flesh to Stone, Cost: 35, Duration 10 seconds, no maintenance cost
    Polymorph Other, Cost: 50, Duration 10 seconds, no maintenance cost
    Nature
    Charm Beast, WP: 6, Cost: 8
    Entangle, WP: 8, Cost: 10, Duration 5 seconds, no maintenance cost
    Control Beast, WP: 10, Cost: 15 + 2@10
    Succor Beast, WP: 12, Cost: 20 + 4@10
    Regenerate, WP: 15, Cost: 25 + 5@10
    Diabolical
    Hex, Cost: 5 + 1@10, curses a target to bad luck – increases crit failures and effects
    Decrepify, Cost: 15 + 2@3, weakens target, reduces ST, CN, DX by 3
    Hound of Hell, Cost: 30 + 3@10, summons a Baleful Hound

Hellgate, Cost: 45 + 6@10
    Familiar, Cost: 60
    Celestial
    Heal Minor Wounds, Cost: 5
    Neutralize Poison, Cost: 8
    Heal Major Wounds, Cost: 20
    Destroy Undead, Cost: 30, destroys one target undead if save is not made
    Resurrect, Cost: 50
    Phantasm
    Illuminate, WP: 5, Cost: 5, Duration 30 seconds, no maintenance, increased radius of light
    Flash, WP: 8, Cost: 10, Duration 10 seconds, no maintenance
    Displacement, WP: 11, Cost: 15 + 2@10, Blur Sight, AC + 35
    Phantasmal Fiend, WP: 14, Cost: 20 + 4@10
    Invisibility, WP: 17, Cost: 30 + 6@10
    Necromancy
    Zombie Minion, Cost: 10 + 1@10, summons lvl 3 zombie
    Skeletal Warrior, Cost: 15 + 3@10, summons lvl 7 skeleton
    Undead Champion, Cost: 30 + 5@10, summons lvl 20 undead champion
    Vampiric Touch, Cost: 40, Does 15-40 damage to non-undead/non-mechanical within range of 1 and heals caster by that amount

Create Undead, Cost: 50, Duration: 10 minutes, no maintenance
    Abjuration
    Resist Magic, Cost: 5 + 1@10, Magic Resistance 50%
    Shield of Protection, Cost: 15 + 2@10, Damage/Fire/Elec/Poison Resist +35%, AC +20
    Dweomer Shield, Cost: 20 + 5@10
    Sanctuary, Cost: 35, Duration 30 seconds, no maintenance
    Reflection Shield, Cost: 40 + 5@10

Also, certain spells, such as Hellgate or Create Undead will have [miniscule] alignment shifts associated with casting them.

Anyway, it's nothing particularly extravagant, but it's freshened the game a bit and it's a bit more balanced to play, at least imho. ;)

6. conor-maccloed

conor-maccloed New Member

It looks pretty awsome. Do you plan to release it publicly??? I would like to give it a try.

7. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I hadn't really thought about it since I didn't figure there would be any interest in a mod for a game that's what, 4 years old?

But yeah, if yout want it, I'll zip up the files and upload it tonight or tomorrow.

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I second the motion.

There are very few decent hack / mods out there and you are hoarding one away? You should be ashamed of yourself!

9. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I have it all packed and ready to upload, but my host appears to be done at the moment. I'll let ya know when it uploads properly.

10. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Download location:

<see post below> :)

If anyone actually uses this, enjoy and let me know what ya think.

11. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

12. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Cool. :) Thanks, DU.

I've played a LOT since doing the mod, and it seems to be virtually problem free. Which is to say, the spells themselves work perfectly as intended, but there is occasion weirdness in the module itself where certain spell "effects" are scripted in. For example, when doing the Crystal Ball quest for Madame Toussade... when you give the cursed ball to the fake gypsy (whose name eludes me), the game intends for her to be killed by a Quench Life. Regrettably, what now happens is that she does indeed die and the quest is complete-able, but the visual effect you get is the one for Familiar, since I replaced the former Quench Life with that spell. Thus, you have a familiar suddenly floating in the room that is not attached to anybody and will do nothing but float in the air - not critical and not quest-breaking, just annoying. And without modifying the module itself, unavoidable.

But if one can live with things of that nature, the end result is a (in my opinion) more fun spell system. And having your alignment slowly shift to evil for repeatedly casting spells like Soulwound and Soul Cage is priceless. ;)

13. conor-maccloed

Man this mod is awsome, I love the new spells. I played for about 4 hours strait after getting the mod and would still be playing if I didn't have to go to work right now. I'm glad you put that on here for download.

14. Quaid

Quaid Member

I'm currently in the brainstorming stages for a story based mod. I've toyed around with the Amtut tutorial and the WorldEd. It seems that it is best to use the first patch WorldEd, as opposed to the latest. Before I get too far into it, does everyone here agree that that is the way to go?

Also, I am busy, since I am married and work full time, so this may take some time to actually develop to completion (I believe the Amtut tutorial said approx 6 months putting in 2 hours a day - which isn't feasible for me).

Anyway, I am very glad Arcanum included the WorldEd at all! I am sorry that Troika closed down. I would have liked to see a bigger and better Arcanum 2, along with a robust, user friendly WorldEd.

BTW, anyone who has used both WorldEd and the Morrowind Editor - how do they compare as far as ease of use?

15. Master Guru Vlugh

Master Guru Vlugh New Member

yes... everyone has long ago agreed 1070 for worlded rocks the shit out of 1074. And using a brick is sometimes easier than WorldEd

16. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I tried the Morrowind Editor (admittedly it was a half-arsed sitting of little more than half an hour) but I found it quite complex compared to WorldEd. Certainly for building rooms. In WorldEd you can actually whip up a town or dungeon pretty quick - often in half an hour or so.

17. zultdush

zultdush New Member

it looks awsome from the posts; however, I am having difficulty with the zip file. I have even tryed repairing it with winrar to get a message that spelllist is broken/corrupt. could someone repost the download OR email it to me ? :) that would be sooo spiffy. zultdush@yahoo.com

btw you seem to have fixed the issue I had with magic in arcanum.. i was finding the same spell spammed was all I was doing.. lol :p this Looks HOT tho :p good work Luchaire

thanx!
    -zulti

18. conor-maccloed

The only really bad thing I can say about the morrowind editor, besides the really long load times is that you have to get every thing just right in position or it doesn't look good in game, and sometimes the positioning is off in the editor but right in the game. I haven't yet started modding Arcanum though. I've been thumbing through the Amtut and looking at various programs. Will prob start soon.

Our Host!