Hero

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Aug 23, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Has anyone seen this movie? (Jet Li) Anyways, I finally saw a preview of it, looks like it's coming out Aug 27 in the states. The preview had Quentin Tarantino's name on it, which I assumed meant he directed it, which I thought weird, cause Q only does violent movies with stupid ass dialouges, and only 8 speaking parts, tops.

Come to find out, it's not directed by him, it's being "presented" by him. What does that mean? I also saw that this movie's already played in other parts of the world back in 03.

Also,

1. Why did they bleep Uma's name out in both movies, till the end?
    2. When and where did Bill and his brother Budd have a falling out, and over what? Or was this one of those unspoken happenings?
    3. Why is Uma Thurman so fine?

2. Riciky

Riciky New Member

hero was originally some old chinese movie... or japanese. i've never seen the original though, and i'm gonna avoid tarantino's version.

kill bill vol. 1 left a bad taste in my mouth. i basically lost all respect for him. all he does now is milk eastern culture with shallow action movies. i mean, the japanese girl in kill bill 1, the only reason she's in the movie is so tarantino can go "she was in battle royale. i'm superiour to you because i referance intellectual japanese pieces in my shallow crappy movies."

i didn't watch the second kill bill, so for all i know it may have redeemed him and his crappy new movies, but i doubt it. it's a shame really, i can't watch his older films without thinking about how bad kill bill was.

::edit::
    uh, i spelled tarantino wrong. doh.

3. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

I highly encourage everyone to watch Hero, I thought it was fucking brilliant. It's a little crouching tiger-ish with the fight scenes, which make up quite a sizeable chunk of the movie. The fact that it was in Mandarin and I had to read subtittles did not take away anything from watching it. Overall, one of the better movies I've watched in quite some time

4. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I think presented by Quentin Tarantino in that he did the work to cause it to be dubbed and put into American theatres.

5. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Didja know Miramax put a "Cease and Desist" order on releasing Hero in the U.S.? Miramax hates you! Yet they won't release the movie themselves. I have more respect for Egghead Tarantino now. He's still an ugly weirdo who thinks his movie dialouges are deep and meaningful, but he's upped his stock in my book now for bringing us Hero.

Why wouldn't anyone release this movie in the U.S.? Did they think that we Americans are too dumb to read subtitles? Look at The Passion of The Christ. It rocked the box office, and subtitles didn't take anything away from it.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Fucking Di$ney...... bunch of mother fuckers...... fuck I hate Di$ney.

7. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Hero is an original movie by Zhang Yimou, it's not some stupid remake. Quentin Tarantino only released the movie in the West, he has no involvement in the making of the film itself.

Watch the movie, you won't regret it. I found it much better than Crouching Tiger. Even without gaping at the artistic martial arts scenes - Jet Li is head and shoulders above most other wuxia actors out there - the film has a decent plot and presents it beautifully.

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Isn't that exactly what they decided chalcedony?

You italicized wrong. You underline the names of a full length version, like Crouching Tiger, although your itlicization of a foreign word, wuxia, is dead on. If your going to add the font effects and look smart, you could at least look really smart.

Well Retard, people were dumb enough to keep Titanic as the top grossing film for how long? I think Miramax was pulling the, I don't know quite how stupid they are, card.

Yes Nobodie, they are evil. That fucking mouse is with the French, I know it.

9. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Since when is italicizing the title of a movie, a novel, or a game wrong, even quoted in part? If you're going to criticize how I choose to present my posts (which I have presented in this way ever since i have been here), you could at least do it correctly. Is it any of your business how I choose to present my posts, in any case?

I don't believe anyone else pointed out that Hero was not a remake. In any case I'm replying to Retard's post, or am I not supposed to do that now?

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

No I was just being an asshole, perhaps you don't know me well enough to realize that.

But no, I am right, Hero is a full length movie I assume. A full length whatever, be it a play or a sitcom series is underlined. If you were refering to an act in a play or one particular episode of a series, like episode 7 of Friends or whatever, you would quote it. The italics, I don't know if they are merely optional or whatever. But enough of my quite obviously meaningless post about grammatical innuendo. If you care to dissect my code enough you'll realize that despite all the smoke and mirrors, what I'm saying is...

You're right.

11. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Actually in print or on the Web titles of movies/novels, etc are italicized to replace the underlining used when handwritten... a look at any news site or magazine should tell you this. Short stories or episodes are yes, placed within quotes.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I think hero SUCKS. It became a joke between me and my friend, to watch it is torture. When he pisses me off, I tell him "don't make me force you to watch hero again". Around 30 minutes into the movie we were so bored to tears it became a challange to go on. We fought bravely, and managed to finish it.

Don't get me wrong, I love such movies, but this one had something really bad in it, I can't really put my finger on it.

Ano no, Hero is NOT an old movie. It's fairly recent. Slapping Tarantino's name on in it a stunt, a bad one at that.

13. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Whoa, Jinxed. Did you read the above posts, or look at my link? Tarantino is the one responsible for us Americans to be able to see this film, finally. Same thing he did for Iron Monkey. Miramax had the rights to release Hero, but they sat on it. Same thing they did for Iron Monkey, Shaolin Soccer, and several others. Since being purchased by Disney, Miramax has gone downhill, IMO.

Tarantino just worked out a deal with Miramax and the director of Hero, so that us Yanks could see the wonderfulness that I know will be Hero.

14. Riciky

Riciky New Member

sorry. i was going on a couple of assumptions i had made (ie. talking out of my ass). i really don't like the elitist fad tarantino has been fueling, so that tends to make me (unfairly?) biased against his work.

15. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Aye retard, miramax BLOWS these days.

And yes, what you say is true and it sort of explains things I read earlier. However, it still doesn't change the fact that Hero sucks to high heavens and watching how paint dries is more exciting than that movie.

16. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Surely you jest. Do you just not like Jet Li?

Oh, nevermind. Jinxed, you need to go back and watch it again. This time, turn the "Caption" on. The movie might blow less that way.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I hate Jet Li. I gave him a fiar chance too, but when you've seen a string of movies you hate, all featuring the same terrible actor...

Fist of Legend was the fucking lamest movie I've ever seen by the way.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I didn't like Hero. It didn't even give me a good laugh, like Legend of the Red Dragon did. Meh.

Go watch Hellboy on cinema instead. :D

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hellboy is good. I saw the previews for Hero, and I thought "man, even though Jet Li is in there, and he will no doubt do some bad ass shit, it looks like a medieval Matrix and will no doubt suck monkey balls", or something along those lines. In any case, the previews have put a mental block on me, preventing me from ever watching that movie.

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

You guys are serious about Hellboy? How gay is he? I'd never even heard of him until I saw the preview, and he looks retarded.

Our Host!