Vampire: The Masquerade - Movie

Discussion in 'Vampire Discussion' started by Icairus, Jul 16, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Coming Soon: Vampire: The Masquerade: The Movie

New Line acquires the film rights for the role-playing game that inspired the upcoming Troika game.

Hollywood gobbled up another game franchise today--sort of. Today Variety reported that New Line Cinema has bought the film rights to Vampire: The Requiem, the sequel to White Wolf's pen-and-paper role-playing game Vampire: The Masquerade. The latter game has inspired two PC role-playing games: 2000's Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, due this October. Bloodlines will use Half-Life 2's Source engine and is being developed by Troika Games.

All Vampire games are set in an Anne Rice-esque realm called "the World of Darkness," where a highly structured society of undead bloodsuckers exists alongside the human world. In the game, the vampires are divided into seven clans, each with its own abilities and powers. The game's story revolves around the clans' constant struggle for dominance and the entire vampire race's efforts to go unnoticed by humankind.

Adam Fields will produce the Vampire movie under the supervision of New Line executives Luke Ryan and Magnus Kim. Variety reports that New Line is looking for a screenwriter to help groom the property to be a franchise. No director or stars are attached to the project.

While Vampires may feed off the blood of humans, these days it seems Hollywood can't stop devouring games' film rights. Most recently, Paramount signed John Woo to direct a film based on the Rainbow Six series of games. The director himself recently optioned Nintendo's Metroid series and was in talks to direct the Spy Hunter movie, starring the Rock. This year also saw the Doom movie go back into play after Warner Bros. let its contract with id Software lapse.

Source: Gamespot

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ain't that funny? Not only does movies based on games suck, so does games based on movies.

I do actually like D&D the movie though. In some perverse sense, I guess.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i loved the D&D movie. not because it bore any semblence to an actual D&D game, but because it was damn funny...

6. Longjocks

Longjocks New Member

But they've already made this film... it was called Underworld.

I've mentioned this in another recent discussion that was brought up thanks to the Doom movie rights being sold - movie adaptations of games don't work primarily because a game's success relies mainly on the one thing a movie can't recreate... gameplay! Sure, games like Tomb Raider succeed in part because it has a chick with big wobblies as the star, but if you were to watch X hours of a rolling demo of the game, you'd either just want to play or fall asleep bored half way through.

Games based on movies have a better chance of success if done right. ie. not just slapping some random shooter together. I personally can't wait for The Best of Jenna Jameson to come to the PC.

7. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Hello LJ, about time you dragged your sorry arse here, what is this thing you have with Jenna... I've never understood that... I mean she's no Tania Russov.

8. Longjocks

Longjocks New Member

I don't really have a 'thing' for her as there is much better out there in my opinion. No, what I like is her acting talent and the way she brings a character to life.

9. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

You're right of-course, she sure brings my character to life.

10. Longjocks

Longjocks New Member

Well... only for a short appearance.

So, who thinks the Doom movie will be a cinematic masterpiece in both the visual and narrative sense?

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Well, it's no mystary that almost every other movie based on a game or the other way around was pretty crappy. There are a few exceptions though. IIRC, two Indy games were made, Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis. While one is based on the movie, the other just makes use of the franchise. Both games rocked, especially FOA, boy, did I have tons of fun with that game.

Most people say I'm crazy when I tell them this, but I've watched Resident Evil 25 times. I have never watched a movie that many times. Many friends say it blows, but all I can reply is: wtvr.

12. Longjocks

Longjocks New Member

The Indy games have one thing that others lack though... LucasArts. They don't always publish brilliant games, but they have a few winning formulas that did a couple of the Indy games well, particularly Fate of Atlantis.

I kind of agree with Resident Evil. The movie wasn't so bad. The audio commentary on the DVD is one of the worst though as that Milla Jovofifimickalockarackasackywantsomeseafoodmamavich chick ruins it because she can't shut the hell up and talk about something a little more interesting (or let the others get a word in edgeways).

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

resident evil rocked. i can't wait for the new one.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I thought Resident Evil was a huge disappointment, mostly because I'd expected it to be more true to the game, so to speak. The way I remember the original PS game, it was darn creepy, a sensation the movie failed miserably to deliver.

15. Longjocks

Longjocks New Member

That brings me back to my post above where movies will always lack important elements that a game can deliver. A good horror movie can give you the creeps and a good scare every now and then. A game gives you a certain amount of control, like you're not just being taken on a ride. You also 'care' about your avatar more than you would your average character you are merely observing on screen. So when you lose control over your environment and see your avatar die, it means more to you and scares you on a deeper level than the simple shock of a big 'BOO!'

Well... that and it's a pain in the arse to have to replay the last stretch of the level.

16. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I have the new White Wolf World of Darkness and Vampire the Requiem, They got rid of Caine as being the orginate of Vampire, they left how vampire came to be very vaid. There is no more generation of vampire and no more megra-orginration of vampire and no more megra plot to follow from the company.

The World of Darkness is the standaed core book covering basic rules, merits, skills and character creation in a basic way. The settleing book for vampire, werewolf, and mage will sent more time than page covering the few rule change from core book than deal with settleing detail fore each.

Our Host!