firendly fire incident and Q's about Jayna S.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by dsatt12, Jul 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dsatt12

dsatt12 New Member

This is my first time through the game, and ran into a little trouble around lvl 15 or so.

I've got a tech dwarf, and had Jayna Styles with me once Virgil's spells quit working on me reliably. She kinda sucks, but that's not so much the issue.

I had a tesla rod for her, which she promptly repeatedly discharged into Magnus's back. He took exception and lopped her head off. At the time I didn't have any of the tech resurrection potions on me. I only found one in tarant much later actually.

I basically went to an older save game and gave Jayna a non-ranged weapon to prevent this after she did it twice.

If I ressurect her after my cohorts do her in, will they still hate her, or will they be friends until she tries to fry them again? I'd like to give her a tesla gun if I ever get the schematic and the right gun, but I can't see her reaction time improving that radically so her shots get there before the melee fighters do. Combat is usually over really damn quick at this point, which seems to be the norm if I'm reading things right around here.

Maybe a better question to ask would be does anyone use her? Is there a better way to heal myself- I can't make anything better than healing salve yet (at least anything better that gains me HP back). If you do use her, what weapons do you prefer for her?

Thanks!

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Are you nuts? DO NOT give Jayna or Magnus any kind of ranged weapons, Tesla rods included. They are not trained for it. They have no Firearms skill, and they will ALWAYS miss a lot.

Jayna is a melee fighter. Give her a Pyro axe, (without a shield)- and watch her slicing and dicing your opponents into pork chops. She can be quite effective this way, despite low ST.

Jayna is almost a must have for a good oriented tech player. Her elixirs can boost up your and your followers' most important combat stats (ST, DX, PE) before the battle. Virgil can do the same healing with bandages- but elixirs he can't do.

As for resurrecting, I think it should fix the low reaction problems.

Finally- do not use real time with weapons that fire slow moving projectiles, like Tesla gun or rod, Bronwyck's gun, or even the blade launcher. They are clearly designed for best accuracy in the turn based mood.

Oh and for healing, salves are not the best. Give Jayna bandages (you can buy them either from a herbalist or from a general store). With bandages, she can heal not only wounds, but also scars.

3. dsatt12

dsatt12 New Member

I didn't even think about the real time vs turn based aspect to the guns.

I haven't really ran into much that I couldn't handle yet, so I usually do real time. Well, I tried to mop up on some void lizards by Liam's Workshop and THAT didn't work at level 9 or 10...

I'll get Jayna a pyro axe ASAP. Now if I could just find more damned axe handles. I've run all over the continent about a dozen times and only found 1 so far.

That's good to know about the scars- I already buy all the bandages I find pretty much, since she burns through them in a big hurry.

Thanks again.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Axe handles can be bought from the junk dealer in Tarant, they appear in his inventory randomly. Dwarven ore can be found in the warehouse with rats in Tarant, in sufficient quantities to equip your whole party. In addition, there are a couple of ready made featherweight axes to be found in the game (check the inventory of each dwarf you see in a Tavern. The one in Black Root has a FW axe for sure). Plus the Wheel Clan smith also sells the axes.

5. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

The dwarf smith in Caladon also sells it. Check out dwarves wearing dwarven chainmail,as they often carry one. If you are evil there worth mugging. :D

6. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

She was pulling an Ian on you.

Anyway, like Solaris pointed out, don't give ranged weapons to them. In fact, don't give ranged weapons to RPCs not trained in them. You should always check an RPCs character sheet to see what they are skilled at before giving them weapons.

Our Host!