Finally saw the road warrior.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sleek_Jeek, Mar 13, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Great movie that one. Even though it totally rips off fallout. I liked Mel Gibson's movies a lot better back when he was an alcoolic coccaine head, and not a born again Christian. Not that I mean theres anything wrong with born again christians, (besides the obvious, but seriously, thats not what I'm trying to talk about) I'm just pointing out the difference between his two little era' of acting. I mean, it seems like right after the 80's ended and coke was no longer fashionable he wasted no time rushing out and making crappy movies, like Maverick, and Conspiracy Theory etc. Though Lethal Weapon 4 wasn't bad (as in not bad=an obvious inspiration for Rush Hour, fuck you Jacky Chan).

Anyway, The Road Warrior, great f'ing movie. Totally bleak and hopeless, and inspiring. Where did all the arrows come from though? I sure didn't see any trees for miles. Also, they had multiple shots of a big huge crossbow mounted on the wall of the little oil derek fort, but they never showed it being used, what a total waste of an awesome set piece. I guess flame throwers are more glamorous or something.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I agree. Total rip-off. Sometimes you think, "Can't they make an original movie instead of ripping off computer games all the time?" but it's still good.

Yes, that they are.

3. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Hehehe..........Sleek that is truly a great movie :thumbup: . If'n you ever see and episode of Food Warrior (on food network) that drunk f'er emulates/mocks Road Warrior alot of the time in the opening, and ending of the show.

And thanx for reminding bout it............was talking about the movie couple weeks ago and should probably watch again being as I aint seen it a few years(I think.....past kinda blurs together)

4. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

When did Road Warrior come out? I know that FO came out in the early 90s, and I thought that RW came out in the 80s-70s, though I don't really have a clue, thus my asking.

5. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Google is good for this thing, but since I didn't have anything better to do:
    Mad Max 1979
    Mad Max 2: Road Warrior 1981

6. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

So then wouldn't it be that FallOut was a rip-off of Road Warrior? no... that's not right... because rip-offs are bad ideas, and FallOut was a good one. Well, how about this: FallOut was "taken" from Road Warrior, given that Road Warrior came along before computers were even fittable in rooms.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

How about the only thing they had in common was a post-apocalyptic setting. Mad Max was set in Australia, and had no 50's throwbacks. Fallout was west coast of America and full of 50's throwbacks.

Not much similarity there. Besides, the post-apocalyptic thing was old when the Bible was new, it just hasn't been exploited as much as traditional fantasy.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Jar: Fallout uses some pretty serious Road warrior imagery. The intro's are pretty similar; the Road Warrior using the WW2 footage, and Fallout using the retro-50's imagery etc, this should be an obvious influence. Also, theres stuff in the fallout games that reminds me a lot of the road warrior setting. Stuff like that, the imagery is what gets ripped off. Especially the armor in my opinion, aside from the power-armor of course, but the American football pad style of the metal armor in fallout, is another obvious influence. Or the leather jacket Mel Gibson wears in the movie, with the one shoulder pad and the missing sleave, thats pretty much one of the first bits of armor available to you in fallout2.

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

To the silent observer: Note how this thread so simply and discreetly displays the mental age of the posters involved.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, so say Fallout takes inspiration from Mad Max, not that Mad Max rips off Fallout.

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The thing with jokes is that they're supposed to be funny on some level.

Our Host!