Good advices for Arcanum 2

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Lord Coldwolf, Jan 7, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All games should be 2D because graphics shouldn't matter, it should be the quality of the plot.

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Nah, 2d games with 3d graphics can be cool too, and they're easier to render supposedly. But 3d games are lots of fun too... I mean, a game could have a great plot and everything, but if no one told you anything about the story, and there were no cut scenes or in game dialogue half-life would still have been a really fun game.

4. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

I had enought of 2d graphic, i want some realy good 3d RPG to play :)

5. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Can anyone think of a game besides Wizardry 8 that was 3d, party based, and turnbased? I only played that one for five minutes, but it seemed pretty good. From what I hear, the pacifier set never really got into it, so it failed. Moreover, I think it showed that party turned 3d is possible, if not easy to do right.

My big problem with real time 3d RPGs: they are usually just 1st person shooter twitchfests with character progression. I like to strategize, to think, to be able to use all of my abilities, not just the fastest hotkey. I played Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1and2, and in none of them did I do much besides swing my sword, basically because I didn't have time. They were all fine, but all lacked strategy. Arx had annoying char development and was too linear. Morrowind had stupid looking sprites, monotony, shit-for-plot, and pointless combat, and is the worst of the three. Gothic was too linear, but is definitely the best of the three. All still lacked strategic combat and a party.

Dungeon Siege wasn't even close to being an RPG, so I'm not including that.

Basically the point of this ramble is that 3d sacrifices too many things I think are necessary in a good RPG. They are bascially just heretic clones: fantasy FPSs. I'm not saying it's impossible to do it right, just that I haven't seen it done right yet. That, and I've decided not to buy another 3d RPG until I am sure they've got it right.

Isometric RULES!

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Either Return to Krondor, or Betrayal at Krondor or something. The graphics are on par with... the original Virtua FIghter game. Pretty awful but cool at the time. The setup is basically you walk around in a first person perspective, and there are some random encounters where your party appears in front of you on a grid and you move them around squares, and give them turn based commands.

7. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

Well, there's the recently released Silent Storm.

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Nothing against WWII tactics games, but they just aren't my thing. I tend to only like RPGs, adventures (including puzzly ones like Myst), and empire games. I'm also not upset that tactical has gone 3d. I think that's great. 3d adventures are fine, too. It's the RPGs that bug me.

Krondor was cool. Forgot about that one. Great story, if a bit linear, but the 3d setup was definitely the weakest part.

9. mathboy

mathboy New Member

TOEE was partly 3D but it's kinda a tactic game too.

10. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I understand. I pointed out Silent Storm because it's actually more akin to a dungeon crawler with some RPG elements (and definetely not your standard fare of current WW2-themed games). Its quite sci-fi as well, with alien technology and mecha-type suits to use in combat.

11. mathboy

mathboy New Member

AAAAAAAGH! Don't talk about Silent Storm. It makes me want to play it (I have it lying on my desk waiting for me to finish Divine Divinity). If I start playing it now I won't finish DD and have to go through it from the beginning.

12. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

i think arcanum 2 should have an infinite level and play on (if you would like) on and on and the placing your charechter over battle net or somesort of server where there would be a new type of city with endless posibilities and the gamers would have to complete a new set of quests like (one of the players steals something from someone in the city and another players is set out to find it ..and the 2 players should come to an agreament or plain oll` battle ) the city should be diveded in gangs ...the players could join up a gang and fight other gangs for teritory or money artifact ETC. i haven`t read all of the post in this tread but i hope my ideas are original

13. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

They should be able to have an ambush option when u have a party and a invisible skillor magik

Our Host!