Fractions of skill points, really useful or not?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by PekkaM, Dec 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. PekkaM

PekkaM New Member

I was just wondering, if the 1/4 fractions of skillpoints you can get from background etc. are really useful.
    If you wanna rise the skill to max anyway (=invest 5 CP's on it), does the bonus help you at all anymore?
    Can you master at 4.5 for example and gain expert at say 2.25?

2. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The answer is it depends on the skill and the person who trains you for the master quest. Some people will accept you for a master quest at 4.25 and others insist on a full 5 points. As for getting expert, you can often get it at anything over 2, but it's not always fully effective when put into use. It's the same as if you get expert for spot traps and then put on a helm that lowers your perception below the required level - your skill at spotting traps drops, but you retain your expert status. I've gotten expert training for haggle many times just using a certain amulet to edge me over 2 points in haggle, so it definitely works.

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

As far as I know the pick pocket master is the only one insistant on 5 points.

Unless you can get multiple fractional addidtions, I don't see any real use besides training. I did once have a total of +5/4 in prowling so I only needed 3 points for master and 4 for max.

4. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The spot traps master is snooty and insists on a full 5 points. I'm pretty sure that the persuasion master also insists on a full 5 points. I don't know about the firearms master because I've never done that one. All of the others are more laid back about it and will accept you as long as you have over 4 points, IIRC.

What is it with the short masters in this game and their attitudes? Sometimes I just want to play an ogre and use them for tent stakes. ;) :lol: Oh, well, I guess I shouldn't complain. I had a bit of an attitude before I got my full height, too. :p

5. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Dodge takes five points. My debutante learned that the hard way. She'll never be a master.

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Yep, I had forgotten about that one, so thanks for the correction, labyrinthian.

7. Ibar

Ibar New Member

but about the fraction bonus form background, when spent 5 points on skill, is still usefull or is lost???

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

It's lost. Hey, try not to reply to topics that are too far down the list.

9. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Pickpocket needs a full 5. I remember I had 5 in pick pocket but I had dwarven gauntlets on so it got reduced and he wouldn't train me until I figured it out.

11. jankiel

jankiel Member

You can get Firearms master at 4.5.
    For archery you need 5.

Our Host!