Your names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolf, Dec 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Ok, I was wondering what the origins of your names. Like I think Canis means either tooth or dog. Snowmane probably has something to do with white hair I guess. But what about you guys with names I don't understand.

Qilikatal
    Sleek_Jeek
    Chalupa Cobra.(It could be a species of Cobra but I"m not sure)
    labrythian
    many others

2. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Well, my name was formed from the idea that I wanted something original, and something noone could pronounce without feeling stupid.

So there! I might as well had called myself "Buttercrotch", but "VerZreV" just looked better...

BIRD!

<('v'<)

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

labyrinth, or maze, has to do with what I study, and the act of studying itself, perhaps, as well as the fact that labyrinths are an RPG thing, too, so I thought it would be apt for this forum. And my name (internet faux pas) is Ian. Since my name is a suffix, I often throw it on other words to create usernames. Thus labyrinth-ian, labyrinthian.

It's also fun that noone seems to be able to remember how to spell it.

4. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I don't know why but I always saw your name as labrynthian, and I kept thinking about how is was mispelled.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, I've always thought that Dark Elves in fantasy are damn cool, so therefore I picked this name. I like it, and suprisingly enough, nobody else seem to be using it on any forum I've joined so far. Admittedly, it lacks a bit in originality though.

Not that I think you had any problems with understanding my name...

6. Canis

Canis New Member

In Latin I think Canis meant specifically a dog, but in modern usage the word and its variants are used to describe members of the family Canidae. Fwuffy widdow puppies for the scientifically challenged. "Dog" is a common name for canids who are domesticated and who therefore won't eat you under normal circumstances. Most dogs are Canis lupus familiaris, but silver foxes have also been domesticated in the Soviet Union, I guess you'd call them Urocyon cinereoargenteus familiaris.... I also seem to recall reading about the Egyptians domesticating jackals.... Dunno.

Your canine teeth are the pointy ones on top and bottom. I wish ours were longer, and I also want a prehensile tail. My ceiling space is wasted.

I think Snowmane was a horse in the Lord of the Rings books.

*rushes to create "Dark Elf" accounts everywhere, bwahahaha*

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I would like to know the origin of 'Shadygrove', I know what a shady grove is but does Shadygrove live in one or something, were is that guy anyway?

*Rushes after Canis to admire 'Dark Elf' handywork

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

What!, I know that! and yet I still make such an idiotic mistake! My apologies Canis.

(rushes off to edit mistake)

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

This disturbs me. A lot.

11. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Are you friggin serious! I've always wanted both longer canines and a prehensile tail! You've just risen in my estimation. Actually, my canines are unusually long and pointed. It's rather odd. Oh, and I'd love to have retractable claws, also. Not like Wolverine, I mean claws that emerge from sheaths on each of my second knuckles.

My name is from Sigurd Galante, the star of a sci-fi mercenary novel I'm writing. Obviously, the name itself is from Sigurd and Fafnir, one of my favorite Norse hero tales. And it's just a cool name.

12. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

Tholtan - just stolen from one of Czech fantasy novels (do you know Jeremy Schackleton(author's pseudonym)?)
    - Tholtan was some kinda ranger from Scotsland (as I remember)
    DarkOne - not so original title, but my favourite

I wandered if I'd be ShadowFist or DarkOne

Btw. In slovakian language "Chalupa" means cottage. Isn't it funky?

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

mmMMMMmmm how to explain Sleek Jeek...

Well does anyone remember the game forsaken? There was a character named earl sleek, and I was at a party and we were playing 4 ayer dm on my budy's n4, and we were picking characters and my friends were making a big deal out of who got to be the trucker guy and who got to be the futuristic cop (just to be idiots/funny whatever, we're in middle school) and I just came out and said,Screw you guys, i'm picking Sleek Jeek. Of course the name of the character was earl sleek, and they thought my mistake was hilarious, and it became a sort of inside joke, and ever since then I've used it for just about every game related screen name Ive created.

14. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

my name is/should be no mystery. I am a huge fan of rpg's (kind of a junkie) and have always liked them. So I thought that would alright to use that. Besides it is also a staement about myself.

about Snowmane.....I am fairly sure that it is the name of a character in the Elfquest series. But with over 650 named characters(just checked site) and reading them a few years ago, I cannot say for sure.

15. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I think Snowmane is the name of Theodan's horse in the Lord of the Rings.

16. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

17. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Well, firstly I like wolves, and it feels casual, and (ooh I'm going to regret saying this) not serious. Also, people used to ask me "What's the time Mr Wolf?". I was thinking about calling myself Lupus.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I made mine up. No references, no inside joke roots, it just popped in my head one day.

19. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I was thinking the same thing VerZreV.

Our Host!