Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. m'ayen

m'ayen New Member

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Just realized I haven't posted here in like 10 months. Crazy.

Good afternoon.

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    So, seeing as this forum thread is now the top ranking Google result for "Lillan iklädes korsett", I thought I'd add my conclusions for posterity.

The verdict is that Lillan is a term of endearment, and iklädes would these days be spelled iklädde, and is in the past tense, so a modern translation would be something like "Sweetie-pie was wearing a corset". If you want to make it sound more period appropriate, then perhaps "Darling donned a corset" would be closer. Or go the whole hog with "Belov'd was cladde in stayes".

Of course, I could be wrong about any of the details. What we really need is someone fluent in both Swedish and English, with an interest in languages, who could weigh in on this. Perhaps a native Swede who has studied both, and is now an English teacher. If only there was someone like that who was a regular on this forum and who hadn't disappeared into thin air, and I hope he's okay.

Good morning.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    "Iklädes" is the passive voice, so it means that Lillan was dressed in a corset by some agent. Lacking context, it's slightly odd though in that "iklädes" is the present tense. The past tense is "ikläddes".

ytzk likes this.
  5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would have thought the present tense made more sense actually, since it's probably more like "here is a picture of my kid being dressed" as opposed to "one time, my kid put some clothes on."

Anyway, I guess that "Darling being dressed in a corset" was right all along. Or "Darling encladde in stays", for flavour. Thanks for the help.

Good morning.

ytzk likes this.
  6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, looks like Fractured Space has been cancelled. They said they would keep the servers up and running, but either they've radically cut down on capacity, or else the final update broke something, because when you can get a match it's laggy as hell. So of course nobody is even trying to get a match any more, and the game is deserted. Which blows the "server capacity" theory out of the water and instead means they released a final version that didn't work properly, effectively killing the game completely.

A pity. FS was one of my favourite games from the last few years. Definitely my favourite MOBA, although to be fair it's the only MOBA I've ever played. It had a really good balance of strategy and piloting skill, and the graphics were sweet. The scale sometimes seemed off, like even though you were supposed to be piloting massive cruisers, some of them handled more like nimble fighters, and most of them looked like nimble fighters too. Also, the way the map hemmed you in to a defined box was kind of silly, since the environment was supposedly a massive asteroid field. Kind of frustrating when you were trying to boost away to escape and you just got stuck in a corner. It would have helped with the sense of majestic scale if the asteroids had stretched off into the distance, but they also stopped at the edge of the map, which was sort of laughable once you noticed it.

But none of that affected the sweet Gamma fights or base rushes. Or grabbing the enemy's FOB just before Gamma to bait them into jumping away and losing it. Or denying a cloaker with Colossus flak. Or firing a Pioneer's grav-nuke at the edge of a jumping enemy who thinks he's safe behind cover. Boom! Or kiting a Furion in a Sentinel because he thinks he can out-DPS you, but not when he's running into your shots and you're running away from his. Haha, sucker! Or picking Superlifter and having your team tell you that the Paladin is better but then you proceed to keep them all alive with judicious healing buoy use to the point that they acknowledge ur leet skillz.

None of you know what the hell I'm talking about do you. Pfft.

Captain Jonesy says, "Good morning, my humans."

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I love a good parse.

Maybe "little-one dressed in a corset".

Good morning.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't think they had seen Avengers: Infinity War back in 1775.

Good morning.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

... and neither have I.

Personally, my people also use the word sweetie-pie but it seems objectively obscure.

I am barely a jack of some languages and a master of none, but i like to make a translation as literal as possible.

Else some swede may look at the english and think, a pie of sweetness?!

Side note, do you also call people a poor old sausage to express sympathy? Gee our ancestors sound hungry.

Good morning.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    You make some good points, my old crumpet, but I think there's a balance to be struck between a literal translation and one that captures the spirit of the original. Part of that spirit involves the year 1775. Looking at English paintings from around that time, they all had really boring names. If it were English it would probably have been called "Portrait of the Youngest Daughter of the Duke of Leicester" or something. But since we don't know who it is, perhaps we should therefore translate it as "Unnamed girl".

Good morning.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yes no because.
    No yes but.
    Good morning.

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Can't argue with that.

Good morning.

ytzk likes this.
  13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Are you calling my sausage old?

Good evening.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm now seeing banner adverts for Dreadnought everywhere I go. I assume it's because I mentioned Fractured Space. If so, I hope I've inflicted that upon everyone else too.

Good morning.

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Ah. The curse of the following banner adverts. Yeah. It will follow (read: haunting) you until the end of time.

I have not seen it. *looks around cautiously* Not at this moment.

Good morning.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Cats. Spayed. Stitches. Removal.

Good day.

17. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I don't think your rap career is going to take off DE.

Good morning.

18. m'ayen

m'ayen New Member

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    That's no reason for giving me a bad rap!

Good morning.

Jojobobo likes this.
  20. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I can finally bless you all with my delicious spam once more!

Good night.

Jojobobo likes this.
Our Host!