Blank Input?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Arthgon, Jan 31, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Even after being away for a while, the gray/orange cogs mixup had me confused. I think it only makes sense to fix it now that a good bit of money went toward keeping things the way they were.

papa_dog_1999 likes this.
  2. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I know it's on the to-do list, but I was wondering about the front page.
    As far as anyone going to 'www.terra-arcanum.com' can tell, we're are still down.
    I was thinking that maybe a link to the forum could be added to the current "we got broke" page.
    I mean, we may not be fully functional, but we aren't down anymore.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Administrator Staff Member

DU's actually installed something to show the news on the front page, but hasn't finished setting it up yet. A gentle nudge in his general direction would help... either that, or The_Bob doing it.

4. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:

*kicks DU in the shins*

5. The_Bob

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

What the dump? The cogs were effed up, then they were fixed, and now they're effed up again. Just so we're all on the same page, the forums with new posts should show rust colored cogs, and the ones with already-viewed posts should have gray cogs. It may be slightly counter-intuitive, but that's the way it has been for the past decade (and probably longer), and that's the way it should stay.

Rusty cog = new posts
    Gray cog = old posts

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

No, Japes, the way it's been for a decade is rusty = old, grey = new.

8. Taluntain

This subject is a bit of a lost cause, it seems. I don't know if everyone who's played Arcanum really associates grey cogs with "new", but grey icons are universally used to mark forums with no new posts, so having silver/grey icons for new posts will never make sense to me personally (and I expect most other people), because grey is simply not used in that manner anywhere else. So switching the colours around confuses old regulars, whereas having them as before is likely confusing everyone else.

9. The_Bob

It's never been a problem before. The old regulars keep everyone else confused anyway.

Taluntain likes this.
  10. Jungle Japes

I strongly disagree. But I guess it doesn't make much difference and it's not worth arguing about, so just leave it the way it is.

Still... you're wrong.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Japes is right on this one. If I cared enough I'd fire up my old PC with screenshots to prove it. Why Xz is remembering incorrectly on this one is surprising me.

At any rate, the gear colors are just that, colors. The icons aren't detailed enough to convey rusting and broken down vs. new and shiny metal. They just look orangish and greyish. Which is fine.

But in the end it's just colors.

12. Taluntain

He isn't remembering right. The way it's been originally is the way Xz remembers it. I specifically know because it's the other way around than everywhere else, which has always had me confused.

Xz likes this.
  13. Xz

You may disagree all you want, and I agree that this matter isn't really worth arguing about, but your opinion about facts is irrelevant. You might as well tell me owls aren't real, or that hats don't exist.

The only reason you don't care enough to prove it, is because you can't.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. Jungle Japes

Is this like the infamous Dress? Some users see 'gray = new' while others see 'gray = old' due to some inscrutable oddity of the human brain?

The_Bob likes this.
  15. The_Bob

That about explains it. And I abused my power to change the forum to what I think is the right version.

Since leaving it like that might seem like a dick move, I've added an alternative forum style that you should be able to select in your profile preferences. If we were a democracy, we might even have a vote on which one should be the default. Things being as they are however, I'll let the other admins decide instead.

16. Taluntain

We've still got a few fixes in the pipeline for this style that'll happen once DU or someone else puts together a list of all the posted complaints/issues so that we can forward it to the style creator and have him fix it.

17. The_Bob

I didn't know fixes were a part of the deal on the theme. Good stuff. Still I think we'll need an alternate theme that caters to the regulars here, like having cogs instead of avatars in the thread list.
    Unless this sort of stuff can be made into options that are set in the profile, instead of creating alternate themes.

18. Taluntain

We want only a single theme with a child theme at worst, because maintaining multiple XF themes is way too much work & hassle in the long run since the templates keep changing with every update and it's very likely that nobody will be around to keep updating them, not to mention all the customizing that goes into every theme, the ad code, etc. So it'd be best to wait until we've finalized this one and then create a child theme that inherits everything from the main, but only if it's really absolutely necessary.

19. Jungle Japes

Thanks pal. You're a sweetheart.

20. Xz

screenshot.png

While the dress comment is clever, this is probably not like that at all. Above is a screenshot of the contents of the image folder from the theme for the previous forum software. I think we can all agree that all the icons containing the word "new" in the file name are grey, while the ones without the word "new" are brown/rusty.

Also if we accept that the brown cogs are actually rusty, then grey = new; rusty = old, is the only logical option. It would not make any sense that new posts are rusty and old posts are not.

For newcomers who are not aware that the brownness signals rust, I'm inclined to accept that grey = new; brown = old, may be counter intuitive. Because of that I'm not opposed to having a discussion of which option to use for the future.

However, discussing how it has been the past ~15 years, seems rather pointless given that it's pretty obvious.

Attached Files:

Our Host!