Custom Background Bugs

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Coney Island, Jun 15, 2016.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Coney Island

Coney Island New Member

I apologize if this is elsewhere on the forums, but I couldn't find anything after searching google and the forums.

Using some of the documentation on gamefaqs, I experimented with creating custom backgrounds(adding mes and rules folders). All seemed well and good, until I noticed that:

* This overwrote the normal backgrounds entirely
    * Races ceased to provide their proper adjustments
    * Buffs provided by spells didn't work

Is there a workaround or fix for this, or is it simply accepted that custom background editing breaks other portions of the game?

Thank you in advance.

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

The problem is that when you add files in the data folder (I assume the folders you mentioned contain the files 'gameback.mes', 'backgrnd.mes' and 'effect.mes') they overwrite the packed versions of those files. Your 'effects.mes' probably only has a single line covering the background you've added, whereas the 'effects.mes' it overwrites has about three or four hundred lines covering every effect in the game.

The simplest solution to your problem (which doesn't require you to unpack any files) is to simply get the files you need from the download section. Deathsangel's custombackgrounds.rar has the complete versions of all the .mes files mentioned above with lines added for a couple of new background. Just edit one of the extra backgrounds provided and replace it with your own.

I assume you already know how to create a background. If not, say so and I'll go through the basics. Oh, and this thread should be in the 'Modding and Scripting Support' subforum but it's not as if there are anyone left who can do something about it. Or even cares.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Hey man, I care. I care a lot.

Our Host!