[Search] [FAQ] [Register] [Login] [Usergroups] [Members] [Rules]
[Terra Arcanum] [Forums] [Gallery] [Downloads] [Troikapedia] [Arcanum Wikia] [Troika Games]

Support Terra
Arcanum:
Good Old Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:08 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Location: In Urwaldland, blowing smoke rings in the Hookah Lounge
ytzk wrote:
*time delay on social skills*

Er, no offense intended, Gross and Arthgon.

Have an emoticon as a token of my good will :)

Offended? No, it's phonetically accurate. Also, relevant to a recent episode of Southpark, titled Ass Burgers.
If our ancestors could make pitch from tree sap back then, I'm pretty sure they knew how to make shields from animal hides and branches.
When can we start this exercise in primitive culture?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:49 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

If everyone is ready then we could start.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 am Post subject: 

No Hole is Sacred
No Hole is Sacred

I'm not ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 am Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

I was apologising for referring to you (and myself) as 'autistic nerds'.

Hurry up and prepare your pine-resin-kevlar nightwing-caveman then, Zanza. :monkey: :thumbup:

Post a starting character like so:-
EXAMPLE
Name: Zanza [lit. 'foolish monkey']
Gender/Age: M/10
Genus species subspecies: Australopithicus australis vulgaris.
Region: South-east asia.
Territory: A mountain of peaches and flowers.
Tribal Background: For the last ten thousand years, they have been fermenting fruit and marrying their cousins.
Personal Background: Omega male and tribal clown.
Special Attacks: Mock; Distract; Steal Cocktail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:46 am Post subject: 

No Hole is Sacred
No Hole is Sacred

I'll probably just use that character.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Name: Maga Otro Litha [lit. 'Wise Burning Lefty']
Gender/Age: M/28
Genus species subspecies: Homo neanderthalensis
Region: Europe
Territory: The future site of the Schwarzwald
Tribal Background: Otro's people came to the black forest while hunting Auroch and traveling mammoth herds. Everyone in the tribe has at least two names, some have three, and very few have four. The second name is given at birth, and is the most noticeable trait at the time. In Otro's case, it's his hair. The first name is given upon a display of aptitude, and Otro is gifted in tool making, hunting, and cave painting. The third name is normally a descriptor of unusual handedness, so basically anyone who doesn't need to use their right hand gets a third name. The fourth and rarest type of name is given upon ascension to some form of tribal leadership, be it spiritual or political, and even less often this last name is given when a tribe member does something nobody thinks is possible at the time and people are there to see it. The last person to get this honor was Hongen Rifa Juho Liroi-Jankinz [lit. 'Slow Pretty Ambidextrous Solo Mammoth Killer']. The last name had to be made up because there wasn't a word for what just happened. She got tired of the rest of the group strategizing and bum rushed the herd. And they called her stupid.
Personal History: Broke a leg on his last hunt, tried to solo an auroch after it toppled the rest of the hunting party. He killed it, but now he's unable to go out with the rest of the group unless the mammoths are moving nearby, considering he can still scare a few off of cliffs. He's an expert tool maker and cave painter, and still advises the hunting party on prey's travel patterns due to his knowledge of constellations and plant growth throughout the year.
Special attacks: Spear thrust, smash with a rock, paleolithic knife fight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 am Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Nice start, here's mine:

Name: Maharshinago [lit. great sage snake] Male, 22yo.

Subspecies: Homo sapiens sapiens.

Region: East Equatorial Africa.

Territory: The Five Plateau Empire.

Tribal Background: The heirs to the territory and cuture of the first modern humans for hundreds of thousands of years. They are racist, ruthless and dishonest. More than any other subspecies, they are expert liars, traders, performers and politicians. The economy is based on future-hunting-hours but is skewed by witchdoctors and tallismongers selling curses and protections. They are ruled by a council of matriarchs who levy taxes and command a militia of Lost Boys - basically every orbiting/exiled unmarried male who wishes to win the right to marry.

Personal Background: The Amazing Snake Wizard, as he calls himself, is no great hunter or warrior or trader or politician. He makes his living by selling the idea of the spirit-world, an invisible jungle of curses, countercurses, predators and prey. A good solid curse costs a month of hunting while a countercurse costs three months. It's a living.

Special Attacks: Extravagent Curse; Insupportable Claim; Call on Invisible Allies; Bluff & Bluster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:36 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Name: Animagus [lit. One with the animals]

Subspecies: homo neanderthalesis

Region: Europe

Territory: At the far north region of some low lands.

Tribal Background:

Personal Background: Even being raised by some wolves, he still has some way to live with his tribe. Because being raised by wolves he has a very close bound with them. While his tribe comes to him to know how they hunt and live they fear him somehow. Thinking of him more of a half-animal than human.

Special Attacks*: Wolf knowledge. Bite and claw. Tracking and hunting. Spear (if only he wants to)

Edit: I am still working on it. So that means there will some edits here.

PS: Happy birthday to me.

*that is what the others call it.

Last edited by Arthgon on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm Post subject: 

Master

Arthgon wrote:
Subspecies: homo neanderthalesis

In other words, dead. A perfect choice.

Arthgon wrote:
Special attacks: magic olololo

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

I shall change it into 20. I wrote 36, because it was my birthday yesterday.

No. You really have known that they are no actually magic abilities or any super powers. Just something that he is good at. He just has a good connection with animals and has a great knowledge about them.

Or should I change some of the things?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 pm Post subject: 

Master

Nah, don't see anything supernatural bout an apeman casting Control Beast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 am Post subject: 

No Hole is Sacred
No Hole is Sacred

At a very young age he realised he was God.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 am Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Happy birthday!

Animal behaviour is a good focus.

It is possible, even likely, that the odd caveman was raised by wolves for some of their infancy. It happens even today.

If you're playing an animal-man may I suggest your character was fostered by wolves? Or better yet, Dire Wolves (much bigger).

That way, you get a few loyal monsters and a reason for an unnatural rapport with beasts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Arthgon, I'd pick one or two animals, not every single one that lives around the area. As much as I hate when somebody calls themselves a *random animal* Whisperer, they definitely have more influence over that animal than a layperson. More limits. True, we"really essentially fantasizing, but I'd think your character's abilities should be more real.
Did he simply notice he naturally had more in common with a wolf than his fellow Neanderthal? Or did he nurture a nest of predatory birds and they trust him enough to both hunt for him and defend his life?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:59 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Ytzk: Thank you. I am 36 years old now, but still feeling young.

Yeah. I think I should change his background a bit. But like I said it was not finished yet. I like the idea of one or two animals though. It is more realistic than having a bound with different animals.

Being raised by the wolves? Yes. It still happens in this modern century. There were two girls raised by wolves (or dogs) in the 90's or in the 80's. One girl died, but the other walked on four legs and growled when she was angry, hungry or happy. They tried to 'civilized' her, but she would not ever spoke in a 'normal' language. Can not remember her name, and where it happend at this moment though.

I shall edit my post with my character background.

Edit3: Claw and bite? Yes. That is how he has learned while being raised by wolves. Only because he was in the tribe he know how to use the spear.

Edit: where there already wolves in that time era? I know that Sable Tooths already existed, but wolves?

Edit: Finding wolf cubs and raise them is possible as well. Even today, it still happens. Think about bears and gooses.

It would look weird and scary for the other tribe members. Raising something like wolves, while they are the natural enemies of these people.

Member: Wait. How dare you to bring those monsters (sorry, I am not sure how they would call them) in our tribe!

Animagus: This is not a monster! He is my friend (or father)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:42 pm Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Grey wolves as a species began between 1 million to 750,000 years ago. Most other animals on this planet, aside from domesticated ones, pre-date humans by hundreds of thousands of years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:13 am Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Well, yes definitely wolves existed back then and big ones too.

This would be the cusp of the evolution of the dog.

But, wolves are not dogs. Wolf pups are not dogs.

Sounds good. I guess your character was fostered as a toddler (upright gait; human language exposure) then partially reintegrated in later childhood.

Also, by 20, I guess his foster-pup/siblings will have died. He will certainly retain status and influence in the pack, but the wolves will not be trained dogs, more like independent sentries.

I like it; nice characters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:03 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Well, now I suppose you'd have to decide if you want the standard grey wolf or the imposing dire wolf.

Grey wolves vary in size geographically, but in Russia and the US they average around 78 pounds. The largest will get up to 120, but they're really rare. Pack size is normally 7-9 wolves, and wolves will normally only stay with a pack for 2 years at a time, so they don't learn to hunt as strategically in a team as lions.

Dire wolves, from the amount of skeletons found in the la brea tar pits, are expected to have run in packs up to 30. From musculoskeletal reconstructions, it's estimated an average healthy individual would weigh 150 pounds. Compare reconstructions of Neanderthal humans as they relate to modern man - the same comparison can be made between dire wolves and existing wolves. Their bones were thicker, they had a stockier frame, and much more muscle mass.

True they were about twice as heavy as a regular wolf, but as compared to nearly every other living predator at the time (and nearly all other living prey) that's where the pack size comes in. They were hunting huge animals, and their numbers helped intimidate larger predators should they try to steal food or get food stolen. I know nothing of their pack behaviors, but I'd say they might have similar hunting strategies to modern wolves. I don't know how quickly pack membership turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Okey dokey, I guess all we need now is a premise for all the characters to get together.

1. Following a shooting star, because the thunderbolt iron is coveted?

2. Congregating with prey/food in a traditional trading/truce festival?

3. Washed out to sea with flotsam by tsunami and castaway together?

4. Climate or warfare squeezing prey and people from Africa and Europe into the Middle East?

5. Meet in a tavern?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

The meteorite angle could be interesting. The chunks of iron would have spiritual significance due to falling from the heavens. Also, its interesting physical properties as a tool would be readily apparent; heavier and denser than most stones, so it'd be useful as a hammer or striking surface. Readily makes a spark with some flint. Can be sharpened without breaking pieces off. Perhaps this would be a good focal point for Otro, and I already have a good back-story reason why he'd be interested, but I'll save it for the game. The truce festival would be pretty cool, also. Mixing such different characters and cultures could be fun. I'm not sure how my character would get washed out by a tsunami at this point, considering he's limited in how far he can walk from his tribe by his poorly healed leg. There could be particularly savage tribal wars going on, perhaps due to religious differences. I like the tavern idea too, though.
If I had to pick from the list, I'd say meteor, truce festival, refugee scenario, or the prehistoric tavern. I really like the meteor one though. What if the meteor is seen during one of the other events?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Meteorite? I like that. What about this: A meteorite falls during one of the festival, triggering a religious tribe war.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:38 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

It is disturbing to me that Arthgon is somehow 36 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:37 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Grakelin wrote:
It is disturbing to me that Arthgon is somehow 36 years old.

...I find your lack of faith disturbing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

Grakelin: You rather wanting me to be a bit younger, right?

On-topic: Story-wise I think that my character is going to be sort of blamed with the fall of meteorite that could ignite a proto-religious war. That is because of the fact that people do this with things that they do not entirely understand. In this case a man who lived almost his entire life among a pack of Wolves. The natural enemy of the tribe.

Tribe member 1: Have not you seen that ball of fire fallen from the sky?

Tribe member 2: I have. It would not surprise me that Animagus knows more about this. He is not even entirely human.

Tribe member 1: Yes. He most have strange powers and probably eats his own and our kind as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Perhaps that might be how things work in your tribe, but Otro's people have long known no man controls the thunderbolt iron's fall.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next