[Search] [FAQ] [Register] [Login] [Usergroups] [Members] [Rules]
[Terra Arcanum] [Forums] [Gallery] [Downloads] [Troikapedia] [Arcanum Wikia] [Troika Games]

Support Terra
Arcanum:
Good Old Games

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 am Post subject:  Buying Arcanum. Difference between releases?

Apprentice

I've heard a lot about this game in the past and after having it on standby for quite some time (among several other games) I've finally decided to buy it and give it a go.

Amazon is listing 3 different releases: Sierra (2001), Empire (2003) and Vivendi (2009).
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between releases, possibly in terms of contents (eg, printed game manual? pretty hard card box?).

In fact, I'm also trying to buy other ancient gems that I never played, for example VtM series or PS:T. So if anyone can shed some light on difference between releases or where I may buy a new copy of these old gems (preferably in Europe because of taxes), that would be sweet.

Thanks

I was not sure if this post should go into "General Discussion" or "Arcanum Discussion", but technically it's still about differences in Arcanum releases.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 am Post subject: 

Apprentice

Ask, and ye shall receieve.

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 am Post subject: 

Never in doubt
Never in doubt

Buy all three?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 am Post subject: 

Veteran

Do you get the actual manual with it? I still have mine. They don't make manuals like that anymore. 189 pages! Plus a recipe...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:20 am Post subject: 

Apprentice

Lycia wrote:
Ask, and ye shall receieve.

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/
The problem with GOG it's that it's all virtual. I was looking for the pretty physical box with printed manual, etc.

Frigo wrote:
Buy all three?
I could do that, but it wouldn't feel right depriving other future buyers of a game with so many few copies floating around.

Langolier wrote:
Do you get the actual manual with it? I still have mine. They don't make manuals like that anymore. 189 pages! Plus a recipe...
That's what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:02 am Post subject: 

Expert

I bought mine pretty late, it was the Vivendi release. Came with a cardbox, manual, 2 CDs. I think it also had some very minor extra, like the two characters on front (the tech dwarf and the mage) printed on cards. Also the German release did not include a map (as usual :x )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 pm Post subject: 

Apprentice

For the people with the international/american versions, did the game also came with a map and a reference card?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 pm Post subject: 

Mutant Patron of Deviation

The Polish version I possess consists of a DVD box, two CDs and the manual. In a pdf file. How cheap is that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 pm Post subject: 

Veteran

Muro wrote:
The Polish version I possess consists of a DVD box, two CDs and the manual. In a pdf file. How cheap is that.

That's too bad, it means you miss out on all the pictures in the manual. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:11 pm Post subject: 

Luckily, I actually have all of those pictures and other good stuff.

While the English manual we have in our Downloads section indeed consists exclusively of text, the Polish one that was added to my game seems to be an full electronic version of the paper one - it has 190 pages + 6 pages for notes, paper-imitating background, decorative fonts and is loaded with screenshots and concept arts.

Still, I would prefer a paper one, for both aesthetic and practical reasons.

Some other fancy items like a map or the cards Grindstone82 mentioned would be more than welcome as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm Post subject: 

Veteran

Hmm, I never got any map when I bought mine from a store many years ago.

I do indeed enjoy an actual physical manual. They're all too rare these days. The Arcanum one is nice and thick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 am Post subject: 

Apprentice

Grindstone82 wrote:
I bought mine pretty late, it was the Vivendi release. Came with a cardbox, manual, 2 CDs. I think it also had some very minor extra, like the two characters on front (the tech dwarf and the mage) printed on cards. Also the German release did not include a map (as usual :x )
This message made me believe there was a map in the original "big box" international release.
But now Langolier message is making me think I just disregarded an Occam's razor.
Can anyone confirm the existence of a map?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:17 am Post subject: 

Expert

random1 wrote:
Grindstone82 wrote:
This message made me believe there was a map in the original "big box" international release.
But now Langolier message is making me think I just disregarded an Occam's razor.
Can anyone confirm the existence of a map?

Personally I only suspect the existence of a physical map because of a .pdf available at replacementdocs.com that looks like the scan of an actual map. German versions of RPGs are regularly delivered with a missing map, all the Black Isle games come to mind for example.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:22 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 am Post subject: 

:drools:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:45 am Post subject: 

Apprentice

Just look at that! It looks as if you bought it today.
How much do you want for it? :] j/k

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 am Post subject: 

Reptilus Rex
Reptilus Rex

Location: In Urwaldland, blowing smoke rings in the Hookah Lounge
Now that is Arcanum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:18 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

It's not taken by me. Maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and post link to source page of that picture:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... c01bccefca

btw, I saw this version (PC Gamer Editor Choice) on eBay. So look over there...

EDIT: You know, you could also print that map by yourself :P it won't be so hard... Also if you are interested, here is link to world map image in high (original) resolution and quality: http://arcanum.game-alive.com/forums/vi ... f=23&t=102

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm Post subject: 

Veteran

I'm envious too. I bought mine at Walmart years ago but there was no map included. I don't think I even have the box anymore... but I just might. I'll have to go through my closet later.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:47 pm Post subject: 

Never in doubt
Never in doubt

Wasn't the map for preorder only?

Last edited by Frigo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 pm Post subject: 

Expert

Bought it in 2002 or something from Virgin, still have the box and manual but no map came with.