"The Bangellian Scourge"; RP Idea

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Gjerdev Ankarus, Oct 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

"The Bangellian Scourge"; RP Idea:

Some time before the appearance of the Living One, several characters meet, whether by happenstance or not (I'll explain what I mean), and for their own reasons, become interested in a local legend. Talk swirls about the air above them as more turn about and join the conversation.

I'm attempting to be extremely interpretable and, more importantly, modifiable.

The RP

2. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Yet if they seek the Bangellian Scourge, the RP will probably not be that modifiable, because we all know all the adventurers will kill each other and leave the Bangellian Scourge where it is. =)

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

The end result may not be, but how you get there will be atleast.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

That being said, who says it has to follow the proper Arcanum story, remember the Living One may buy a boat instead and therefore never really come across the sword.

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Sounds like a hoot to me. Plenty of opportunities for intra-party conflict and seriously hardcore foes... Count me in!

6. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Hence my words saying it won't be "that" modifiable, as there are things more modifiable than that.

I'm always up for a good RP, but I have never played with T-A'ers. I'm interested in figuring how it goes.

7. Gjerdev Ankarus

Erm, I had sort of hoped it would go without saying that the RP can be in spite of the Living One's emergence. What I mean is, bending the lore as much as possible to make any solution possible. If we decide for whatever reason to paint every building in Tarant pink, and that counteracts the later events, then sod it! It's a bloody RP, isn't it?

Bad example, but all in favour of a little lore bending for the sake of the RP itself?

We also need a way to meet up. My character would likely be looking into rumours at Caleb's spot in the Boil. Perhaps a few simultaneous incidents at separate locations, even cities, and some characters who maybe don't even meet up until much later.

Mm, now I'm set on it. Pick a location when creating your character, if you please. If not, I'll decide for you.

Here's what you're working with (open to any better ideas):

Any tavern, junk shop, gentleman's outfitters or other shop between Cumbria and Morbihan (Caladon and Tulla are quite impractical, but if you can work with it, go for it.)

A few unique ones as well:

A camp of hardy rogues a dozen kilometers north of Tarant.

An outcast group of Orcs and half-breeds, disbonded from a powerful Orcish tribe, camped a good ways south of Stillwater.

A trading outpost nearby a halfling village, amid the western reaches of the Morbihan Plains.

Again, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I was thinking of being a Tarantian military officer, perhaps around colonel, seeking the blade with his battalion. The generals of the Tarant army may not know what the colonel is up to either as they probably believe he is hosting training exercises.

9. Gjerdev Ankarus

@Zanza, would you mind thinning the numbers out a bit? Perhaps a sizable group of volunteers whom you've gathered from your battalion, rather than the lot of them? I say because an entire battalion of troops could get messy.

While I'm up here, though, I might as well ejaculate a character, let's see... EDIT: As far as "ejaculate", I'm not sure if I meant that ironically or was just spouting a random word (suffice it to say that I was, well, not entirely of my senses at the time.)

Here we are. (Likely to be altered before game begins.)
    Name: Syvian Korinthos
    Occupation: None to speak of, but has recently been known for petty thievery, likely in the interests of survival.
    Place of Residence: A "humble" self-built shanty in the Boil.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah my character is only rough, I'll think about his proper details a bit later. By the way, you said ejaculate.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Yes, why not, count me in. Now I only need to think about my character.

We could even go further, and bring these adventurers back from the dead, so they have to find the Bangellian Scourge again and bring it to the rightful heir.

12. Charonte

Charonte Member

Eh, I don't entirely agree with giving the characters a defined goal.

Personally, I'd rather have an abstract idea ('find the scourge'), make the characters meet up and go from there.

13. Gjerdev Ankarus

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Obvious troll is obvious. Except for the fact that you're "not a troll".

I like this idea. I'm in. The character'll appear sometime this weekend or during the coming week.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

Why are you afraid?

In any case, it's been a long time since I roleplayed but if I get half the chance I'll think up of a character and jump in if I see an opportunity.

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Why do I have the feeling my character is going to be the token female? Ah, yes, that's right! Because I always am the token female!

Name: Louise "Lou" Jannesson
    Race: Half-Elf
    Starting Location: Caladon
    Appearance: About 5'6" and slender, with long black hair braided with ribbons and warm brown eyes. She dresses in practical but flamboyantly coloured and decorated clothing, and always seems to have plenty of jewelry to hand. She smiles easily and frequently, although the smile rarely reaches her eyes.
    Personality: As befits a travelling entertainer, Lou is cheerful and wild, often going off half-cocked or on impulse. As you can imagine, this is a problem far more often than it's helpful. She has a knack for memorising things, and is a repository of folk tales, rumours and half-heard plans from across Arcanum. She prefers the large cities, like Caladon and Tarant, although she'll take anywhere that has a pub and a chance to earn a few coins by being pretty and a good dancer. Beneath her good nature, however, is a calculating streak worthy of a great manipulator.
    Background: Lou was born on the road, has lived her life on the road, and will probably die on the road too. Her family is her troupe and her home is a brightly painted wagon. Her troupe wanders back and forth Arcanum, bringing entertainment and news from across the continent to wherever they stop, be it the biggest city or the tiniest hamlet. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), this brought them to the attention of Chancellor Whilloughsby (that damned gnome), and he often demands that they carry information or packages for him to places where his normal agents cannot go. This hasn't gotten them into any real trouble yet, but it's just a matter of time...
    Skills, Schematics and Spells:
    * 1 rank each for Dodge, Melee and Haggle.
    * 2 ranks in Persuasion and Pick Pocket.
    * No schematics.
    * Mental Spells: Charm and Stun.
    * White Necromancy Spells: Minor Healing.
    * Water Spells: Purity of Water and Call Fog.[/b]

17. Gjerdev Ankarus

I think I'll take the high road and let my character's, erm, character become self-evident as the story progresses. As for stats:

Combat: 1 point of melee.
    Thievery: 3 points of backstab, 2 points of pickpocket
    Social: 1 point of gamble.
    Technological: 3 points of pick locks, 1 point of firearms.
    Schematics/Degrees: None
    Spells: None
    Inventory: a crude set of lockpicks, a rusty dagger, a pittance of coin, a single flintlock with a few bullets, and two changes of wardrobe.

18. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I think I'll hate a magick, elf and Panarii hating technologist BoS-like knight/adventurer. Partly because I like playing characters that I share a personality with but is placed in a different setting, and I can only think of one match in Arcanum to a staunch secularist.

I should flesh out my character sometime.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'd call liking to play characters which one hates a bit masochistic but hey, I'm not judging you.

20. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

That was supposed to be written as play. My mind is all over the place these times.

P.S. In fact, I almost wrote "Mind mind" instead of "My mind" :/

Our Host!