Getting to Cattan in vanilla Arcanum? No problem, good sir.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Jul 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Finally have I found the time and motivation to share this fact. Sit back and enjoy.

I do believe the trick I will use hasn't been mentioned on the forums earlier, so possibly some will find this as amusing. The trick has many uses, I will show it on an example of getting to Cattan, step by step.

We have our character. Lets call him Willy. Hello Willy. "Hello Muro"- says Willy.

Willy is currently in Tarant and he travels to the very edge of the city, in this case the north-west edge of the city map. He then travels across the border to the wilderness. Once there, he points the destination of his travel at, say, 1186W 1384S.
    Notice however, that he doesn't push the Toggle Walking Waypoint Path button, oh no he doesn't. Instead, he leaves the marked destination spot on the map there and returns to the game map.

What's his next step? Well, Willy travels to Blackroot. He could do it by boat as well, but he decides to use the train, since it's closer at the moment (important note – do not teleport there, since it will reset the world map marked path, which is crucial for this trick).

Behold, Willy is in Blackroot. He travels across the border of wilderness here as well. Now he turns on his world map but what is this? The previously marked destination point is still there!

What does Willy do? He pushes the Toggle Walking Waypoint Path button and that’s where the magic happens. Instead of traveling north-west to the point, his path leads south-west, at the same angle as if he would be traveling from Tarant to that point. Oh look, he even travels through the ocean! And look, now he’s travelling through Cattan! Right-click when he’s over there to stop his travelling and sattle on Cattan. And there you have it, Willy is on Cattan.
    The only way to get out of there now is to use teleport, but that’s Willy’s problem now.

Note that it’s very important to right-click before the final destination is reached, since when Willy would reach it, he would be magically teleported to the exact destination, in this example, 1186W 1384S.

This trick may be used for various other purposes, like getting to the Isle of Despair after you have already left it, getting to the little island next to the Isle of Despair, getting to the Half-Ogre Island or Thanatos. All you have to do is experiment with the world map and locations connected with trains and ships. You can repeat Willy's adventure step by step to get accustomed with the mechanism of this trick.

PS. Please do be patient with the loading of screenshots. It may be just me and my computer/connection/whatever or ImageShack is working a little slow these days. Tell me if there will be major problems with their loading and I'll use a different host.

EDIT:

Since ImageShack seems to be slow not only for me, I took some time, uploaded the screenshots to a different host and replaced the adresses in the post. Now the screenshots surely load fast for me and hopefully for everyone.

EDIT 6th July 2010:

Well wouldn't you know it, the host decided to 404 all of my precious screenshots, that bastard. Not sure how long it was like that but luckily I still had them on my hard drive and so the links are repaired now. ImageShack doesn't seem to be slow anymore but even if he will be again, slow loading will be better than no loading at all, if you'd ask me.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Never heard of this glitch, thanks.

And, yes, the screenshots are loading slow for me as well.

3. light-servant

light-servant New Member

Another great thing I learned from this forum, thank you.

4. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I'd accidentally done this a few times before but stopped it before I found out about the whole go through anything deal. Doubt I'll use it but it is fun to know :)

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Wow, crazy. Nice find. Did you do this intentionally, or was it something you found quite on accident?

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The trick was found by accident, quite some time ago, so I don't remember the details. What I recall is that I marked some path from Tarant, changed my mind, traveled by boat to Caladon, realised the path is still there when leaving it, pushed the Toggle Walking Waypoint Path button by curiousity and there I was, suprised by the result.

I thought of it as just some funny but unpractical by any means thing, yet I started to wonder what can I use this for and experimented a little with it. It appeared to be much more interesting when I discovered the Living One can go pass mountains and water this way. So I did a little trail-and-error to figure out how to get to Cattan, since I figured that is propably the most interesting usage of the trick, and the most catchy title to introduce it to the community.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Nice trick! Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

8. floyd

floyd New Member

And it actually works!
    Cool.

9. xiaoliang

xiaoliang New Member

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Xiaoling, before the children start hurling abuse towards you, I suggest you take a minute to read the FAQ especially concerning what 'gravedigging' is and the forum's stance on it.

11. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Check out the links, obvious spammer is obvious. Troll is banned.

12. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    His first post didn't even have a link in it. An attempt to be legit prior to spam?
    And, as I'm of the opinion that T-A is fairly bot proof, this twit took the time to make an account to do this?? I just don't get it. I think this is one of the reasons I hate people.

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

No it did, I just deleted them.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A spammer? In my thread? Well I'd never.
    I don't see that monster's account being banished.

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

He (xiaoliang) is still dwelling here, with all its hidden links.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well, how to phrase it... That's pretty much what I said, Arth.

You should make your mind if xiaoliang is a he or an it.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

This is quite an interesting find! It raises a question in my mind: if there's land on the map, is there land on the world map? What happens if you stop in the water, and then right click?

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Technically, he's better than most, because he's at least advertising in a way that's not completely contrary to the point of the company paying him for it.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

And by that you mean...?

This:
    Screenshot #1
    Screenshot #2
    In this case, the Living One is trapped, he can't make a single step. If he doesn't have teleport, screwed is he.

Our Host!