Arcanum 1024x768 Edition v081004 [Discontinued]

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The project is discontinued.

If you still have any version of this patch installed and would like to use the latest version of the UAP, then you need to uninstall the patch by deleting the following files:
    Arcanum1024x768.exe
    Arcanum8.dat
    modules\Arcanum.PATCH3
    Arcanum 1024x768 Edition.txt
    ArcanumXSplash1024x768.dat (if you have it)

Please do not try using the patch with the latest UAP, it will definitely cause problems.

P.S. Eventually, a proper patch with support for any resolution will be made. I'll probably start working on it in a few months.

2. HYPERPOWER!

HYPERPOWER! New Member

Hi!

I signed up to say thanks.

How are you handling the vicinity checks? Does the aggro range remain the same as with the 800x600 resolution? I'd hate to trigger the thugs in the Boil when I first enter Tarant. P:

Whenever I run the game in a higher resolution than intended, the gameplay window remains 400 pixels high, but expands to whatever the horizontal resolution I choose when I run one of the exe's. Is this what you are planning to change when you say you're working on an original mode?

Once again, thanks for doing this, as well as your work on the unofficial patches.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The installer adds links to Sierra\Arcanum folder in your programs menu (it even says so). They run the game in the fullscreen mode. If for some reason you can't use the said links, add -fullscreen to your link manually.

The compact UI looks like this:
    [​IMG]

4. HYPERPOWER!

HYPERPOWER! New Member

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A new zoomed out world map, 533x533 instead of 365x365, the extra details are really nice, I think.

Also, added fillers to top and bottom panels, no more black borders.
    [​IMG]

Also, a few mock ups for other menus:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think the logbook is OK this way. The character editor is too complex to mess with, moreover I can't think of a really good idea to reposition all these buttons and bars. Considering the inventory screen, I can probably expand it, so that you can carry a few plate mails without stuffing them into quick slots, but that would change the gameplay a bit, so I'm not sure.

Suggestions?

6. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I think it's ok to expand the screen.

Generally it's still the weight of the items that limits how much the character can carry, and how encumberated does the player want to be. Also stuffing things into quick slots already makes the size of the inventory less important, so making it bigger shouldn't affect the game balance at all.

It may make the gameplay a bit better, by reducing the need of rearranging the inventory. Simply a perk of a better version.

An idea for the worldmap is to include a ETA indicator (how long will it take to compleate the route) - provided adding new stuff is also possible. It could be in days or weeks even, without much accuracy.

Also, the extra space in the char editor could be used to display the current attack/damage/defense/resistances rating, reflecting the magic item effects changing due to magick/tech aptitude changes.

On the inventory screen, under the equiped items box, a display showing current bonuses/penalties would be nice, and weapon to-hit chance (on a AC=player's, Magick/Tech = 0 critter) - if complex formulas can be used there.

Just how much can be added and changed ?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those things are complex to hack in, and they're not really needed, hence they aren't there in the first place.

Repositioning, redrawing, expanding. I'm not planning on adding completely new functions to the UI, this is a high-res mod after all, so it should enhance the gameplay in terms of increased resolution only.

I'll see what I can do about the inventory screen, but if I do expand it, it will most likely screw up the saves' compatibility, i.e. the new saves won't work with the original 800x600 version.

8. team a

team a New Member

Does the art for inventory, schematic, and paper doll automatically resize to fit? Judging by the dimensions for some of the .art files (some of which are very small), I would expect that it could, although you might have to redefine the size of what one tile in the inventory is.

Or, you could spread some of that spacing around, so the borders on the sides of each window are about the same. The worldmap looks pretty good this way. I imagine that this would require a lot of tweaking on some windows, but might not be as hard for others with fewer objects to display, like the logbook.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, the initial version is ready. Almost all menus have been redrawn so they fill the whole screen. Only the main menu, options and some multiplayer related screens were not resized, as it's not really needed.

I'm quite happy with this version, so unless somebody finds a bug there will be no additions/changes any time soon.

Vicinity checks in scripts seem to work fine. The resolution isn't that high, so there's a slim chance of a bug.

The patch works on any version of the game that has the 1.0.7.4 patch, but the UAP is recommended. The patch has all the UAP specific engine tweaks. Also, it uses separate files, so you're still able to play in the original resolution if you have the mod installed.

In addition, I'd like to note that at any rate the game was never meant to be played in a resolution higher than 800x600 and this mod wasn't tested a lot, so there's a chance that you may run into a bug. In that case, please report it in this thread and it will be fixed.

The first post is updated with the download link.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

There goes my #1 concern - Thanks!

11. Lexx

Lexx New Member

Would it be possible to center the inventory and the stats screen? I think, it would fit better then.

If you take a look at the inventory of your party members, you can see, that there inventory is smaller then the inventory from the player. Could it be possible to change this too? Because, this is bugging me. :)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's not overcomplicate things. There's no need to change around 100 values just to move something, let's say, 50 pixels down and 100 right for a questionable aesthetic reason. There's lots of buttons/bars/indicators/thingies in the character editor, and the inventory screen consists of two separate ones: the barter one and the actual inventory, and each part can be overlaid with paper dolls, etc. It will be a bitch to change just for an aesthetic reason.

Maybe. I'm not sure how it will turn out.

13. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I'm also for, at the very least, cenering the UI.

Provided this version may very well be the only (fully functional) hi-res arcanum around for a month or more, and quite possibly the last (and only?) version compatibile with the regular game, aesthetics are important. Having all of the UI shoved to the left/upper-left does look kinda odd - and does bother me a bit.

Can't this be done using some trivial program written in perl or pascal, that would shift all the values by a certian ratio ? Is this done by hacking the game exe (or some library maybe) or is the positioning stored somewhere in the game data files ?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A small update:
    -Sounds positioning is changed, according to the resolution.
    -The last action slots now work correctly when the original HUD is used in the fullscreen mode.

Updated the first post.

15. team a

team a New Member

By this you do you mean that loop for (obj) and IF (obj) can see (obj) work fine? That would be my concern, since heartbeats are fired up at least a sector away, and a lot of encounters are triggered by tile scripts.

Nice work once again, Drog.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I mean the looping in scripts, it loops for everything on the screen. (obj) can see (obj) is based on PE checks, so it doesn't matter.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another tiny bugfix: fixed a compatibility issue with the Extra Pack.

NOTE: If you already have the Extra Pack and the 1024x768 mod v080803 installed, then reinstall the Extra Pack, and then install the new, 080806 version of the mod.

First post updated.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another tiny update. Added blackborders around slides, so you don't see the cached garbage around them.

I also made a pack with highres splash screens (1024x568 instead of 800x400). They're NOT the same images as the original ones, but they're based on the official highres art. Feel free to try them. Put the dat file in your Arcanum folder and they will work. Please note though, if you try to run the game in the original 800x600 mode with them, you won't get any splash screens at all (the game will still run though).

Grab the both files in the first post.

In addition, in case you want the slides to take the whole screen, you can resize them (be sure to convert them back to 256 colors (indexed) mode when you're done). The .bmps are located in the 'slide' folder in arcanum.dat. After you've converted them, add these changes to Arcanum1024x768.exe:
    0x1697A6:0004
    0x1697AE:0003

BTW, feel free to post any suggestions on improvement of this mod.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Updated.

-Fixed the problem with the wrong player position when loading the game the first time.
    -Fixed compatibility issues with the UAP.

Our Host!