The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I give up! How do you travel back to Arcanum from the Void??

???

2. Deman

Deman Member

Hmm, do you mean the Desecrator? I was going for a more "mummy-isque" creature.

Always glad to assist and I feel for you man. I thankfully finished my studies last year and hadn't much spare time either, due to tight schedules.

Take a look at the following individuals and I'll bet you'll figure it out;
    Sea Captain, Train Conductor, Quintarra's and T'seng Ang's entry guards, Priestress Birgit, Gorrin (possibly). There's another one, whom I personally prefer, but I won't mention anything other than that he/she can be found underground.
    Oh, and another thing to remember is to keep their reaction towards you above 50. Not necessary but it surely makes things easier.

Actually, by possibly taking advantage of this trick found by Muro, you can make it to the Void almost from the get-go.

There are enough exploits in this game to write a book about it.

3. Deman

Deman Member

Okay, time to revive this thread.

An armour that gives +1 spot traps, pick locks and prowling. Apparently, it's of neutral aptitude and made out of leather.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Boom, (Small/Medium/Large) Oiled Thieves Leather.

5. Deman

Deman Member

Hah, Oiled Thieves Leather? I would never have imagined that this armour had those bonuses. Seemed just too mundane.

EDIT: Okay, I've got three more;

1) An item, (no wait, make that anything besides a background) that gives you a bonus (even if temporary) to your throwing skill.

2) Two reputations; Killer of the beautiful Clarissa Shalmo and Murderer of Kal-N'driel, the Healing Master.

3) How do you use Kerghan's unique magic against him?

I haven't gotten an answer for number 1 & 2 though.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, I meant "Dark". Glad the mistake didn't stop you from finding it.

I assume 1) and 2) are questions rather than riddles.
    1) I do not recall anything like that in the game.
    2) Those reputations appear to be unacquirable.
    3) Reflective shield? If that's not it, you might want to be a bit more specific.

No one has guessed it for all these months so I might as well do it: they're wielded by two high level half ogres guarding King Farad's chamber in Caladon.

There's one in K'an T'au's chamber in the Castle of S'nel N'fa.

There's a gnome noble wandering around Caladon. He has 73 coins in his pouch, wields a plain dagger, wears shoes, a copper ring and a small nice suit with white sprites.

I have yet to find the second white fine suit.

A lady gnome city dweller walking around Caladon in a black(ish) dress.

An elf city dweller standing outside the Sobbing Onion in Caladon.

Air Master's chamber in Tulla.

In the First Panarii temple in Caladon four chainmail-clad human priests guard the two staircases in pairs. One of the priests in each pair wields an envenomed sword.

Found this just yesterday. Damn was this hard yet incredibly satisfying to finally find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By going through the thread, I assembled a (hopefully complete) running summary for not yet found targets and their corresponding hints. I'm adding a new hint to the first of my targets, other may follow once I come up with them.

TARGETS:

Muro's targets:
    • Diseased Chain Mail. It's in a chest along with some other magick-related toys. New hint: The place it's in, I tell ya, it's pretty hot in there.
    • A very rare technological potion. When used on a NPC, it summons a random wild animal (from a wolf to a forest ape) which attacks the NPC. Cannot be bought or created. Only one copy of this item can be found the whole game world. Not an item quest. No one ever asks for it nor even mentions it. Not in the BMC, Wheel Clan, Stonecutter Clan, Mysterious ruins of the wastes, Vendigroth Ruins, Shades Beach, Half Ogre Island, Iron Clan or Place of Lost Voices.
    • Scroll of Familiar. Found rather than bought. Not the one on Harold Sumner in Tulla.
    • A wielded Axe of Strength.
    Jojobobo's targets:
    • One fine suit with white sprites, I won't say which size to keep things a bit more tricky. Other than the one worn by the gnome noble wandering around Caladon.
    • A character with only a dagger of speed and a potion of heal lesser wounds in their inventory
    • Two large gears in one container/on one person
    • A rustic dress with the sprite of an elegant dress
    • A quality iron shield found on the floor, I will mention it's hard to spot
    • Two more vials of poison; excluding the three previously found at Razors Pointe, Adam Maxwell's house and Caladon's high security prison. They're both in people's inventories.
    • A character who drops an item after being disintergrated. I have killed the character by other means and the item is indeed already in the person's inventory, not just conveniently beneath them or something else that may make it look like the character dropped the item upon disintergration when this actually isn't the case. The item and character I am referring to are in no way related to the main quest.
    Deman's targets:
    • If you want to smack someone with Torian Kel's ancestral sword or Kryggird's Falchion outside the Void (in the vanilla game) what do you do?
      • Take a look at the following individuals and I'll bet you'll figure it out;
        Sea Captain, Train Conductor, Quintarra's and T'seng Ang's entry guards, Priestress Birgit, Gorrin (possibly). There's another one, whom I personally prefer, but I won't mention anything other than that he/she can be found underground.

Oh, and another thing to remember is to keep their reaction towards you above 50. Not necessary but it surely makes things easier.

Hint: Most of the time, my favorite spells were Dominate Will, Teleport and Resurrect.

Actually, by possibly taking advantage of this trick found by Muro, you can make it to the Void almost from the get-go.
    • How do you become cherished as the hero and despised as the outlaw of Shrouded Hills at the same time?
    • If you play your cards right, you should be able to collect three magic crystal balls in Madame Toussade's house. How?
    • Name how you can get at least two examples of the item “Debt of Bessie Toone mine” from Stanton. Acquiring unlimited is again gold star material (not possible with the UAP though).
    • A single demi-liche. A "mummy-isque" creature.
    • This last one I'll just quote as a whole:

7. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Fuck, I can't remember where I got this but you conveniently didn't say that's it Small Diseased Chain Mail.
    This?

And mine hunt.
    Just one question: where?

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Correct on all counts Muro, well done!
    Because of the hint, I finally found this! It's in the penultimate chest in the Bangelian Deeps.

Having said that, that was the only item I was able to find of yours! I'll have a more thorough search later.

I'll add some hints to mine to make things a bit easier:
    • A quality iron shield found on the floor, I will mention it's hard to spot. Hint: It's in a place of residence
    • Two more vials of poison; excluding the three previously found at Razors Pointe, Adam Maxwell's house and Caladon's high security prison. They're both in people's inventories. Hint: I'd like to think the subtext to why they have the poison is because they're plotting against their superiors
    • A character who drops an item after being disintergrated. I have killed the character by other means and the item is indeed already in the person's inventory, not just conveniently beneath them or something else that may make it look like the character dropped the item upon disintergration when this actually isn't the case. The item and character I am referring to are in no way related to the main quest. Hint: It is however a quest item, just not the main quest.
    And a few new targets:
    • Two carried - not equipped - sets of Oiled Thieves Leather, I won't comment on size to keep things interesting. This one should be positively fiendish.
    • A completely empty room. No containers, no windows, no lanterns or wall mountings, no other un-interactable items (chairs, etc.) of any sort. All the room has is a door.
    • A pocket watch in a non-random container underground. Some subterfuge has been deployed with this target.
    • An animal carrying money
    I'll put a list of the current targets of the first page of the thread and keep it updated, that way there won't be as much trawling through the thread to find past targets.
    Do you mean this situation is one you want people to find? I wasn't sure with how you phrased it, if so I'll add it to the list.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Good job on finding the chainmail, Jojobobo.

The wererat guarding a particular pair of skulls in a warehouse in Tarant carries some money, if we consider such a shapeshifter an animal.

True, though that would be because it conveniently isn't small. The Diseased Chain Mail is medium sized. Are you sure we're talking about the same item?

Near Tarant, a few screens east and a bit south of the Wise Woman's camp.

While I can't be sure since it's Deman's target, there's a creature called a Demi-Liche in the game files (mummy, yellow skin, white wrap) and I'm guessing that's what he's referring to.

By the way Deman, would the creature you had in mind to be located in the home of the Stonecutter Clan? There's a Black Defiler (black lich) with a group of Black Defiler Slaves (yellow&white mummies) there, and I just had a vague recollection that one of the Slaves might have been a Demi-Liche in an earlier version of the game.

10. Jojobobo

Honestly I don't know why I didn't find it before, I've definitely been in the Bangelian Deeps searching for targets previously. Maybe I just assumed it was some sort of regular charmed chainmail when I saw it in the chest, that'll teach me for being complacent!

Well as I've never seen them transform Cynthia Wit style, I always just think of them as animals. This was indeed the animal I had in mind.

EDIT: So I'll add one more target and then I'll wait till more of mine are solved before adding more. It's a problem solving one in the vein of Deman's...
    • How do you make someone permenantly invisible without the use of any spells or scrolls? By permenantly invisible I don't mean give them the Ring of Shadows and heal them a ridiculous amount either - when the effect is in place you should be safe to leave them in a permenant state of invisibility. This is acheivable in the current UAP.
    EDIT 2:
    On one of the guards guarding the Pits of Dernholm. This item was a pest as I knew I'd seen it on someone before. As soon as I saw the guards I remembered that one of them had it on them, trouble is it took me actually seeing the guards in the flesh to jog my memory.

Also a quick question, does your elusive technological potion have a unique inventory sprite? I don't want to find a container somewhere and think "Oh that's just another healing potion" when really the potion itself shares a mundane inventory sprite.

As a small point, I've changed "betters" in the hint for the vials of poison to "superiors" as it's more accurate. Betters can imply being better in almost any way, superiors implies higher rank.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

1. Have an NPC equip the Ring of Shadows.
    2. Wait till the NPC faints.
    3. Pickpocket the Ring of Shadows from the NPC (20 perception required; Sense Hidden would work but you said no spells).
    4. Result: permanently invisible NPC (though the effect can be remove with further toying with the ring).
    Can be performed on the player character without pickpocketing or 20 perception by equipping the ring and taking it off while unconscious.

You're on a roll today. Nicely done.

Indeed it does. Here's what you're looking for:

[​IMG]

Guess it could be confused with animal scent, though that one's a bit different as seen below:

[​IMG]

12. Jojobobo

Yeah this was pretty much what I had in mind, but I let them die and then took the ring off them and used a restore life (or resurrection with spells).

I have to say that's not much of a relief, I guess if it did share a common sprite then I could have just over-looked it but now I can be certain I have genuinely never seen it before!

13. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

http://www.gamebanshee.com/arcanum/equipment/torso.php
    There is only one armor, which has "Diseased" in its name and it is indeed small chainmail. And it can be obtained way before Bangelian Deeps.
    Right!
    Gem Of Malachi Rench and Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe.
    Gem can be destroyed only in Bangelian Deeps.

14. Jojobobo

I added some emphasis to the "already", you have to give Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe the gem to make carry it. I guess you could argue that if you gave it him and cast disintergrate on him it was "already" in his inventory, so I should have probably thrown in an "initially" in his inventory as that describes more accurately what I meant; I did think the context of the situation implied what I meant but I'll try make things clearer in the future. A good find though, I was aware of this but neglected to mention it on purpose. Thinking on that might help.
    Also the equipment list on gamebanshee isn't complete. If you look for some of the other items in this thread you won't find them on there.

EDIT:
    On a halfling villager in the Roseborough Inn. Found this completely by happenstance as I was wondering if the guy who talks about magick and technology going in cycles would have the technological potion in his room. So I went to steal a key from someone I thought was an innkeeper, and there you go.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

This just goes to show that while GameBanshee's is probably the best online Arcanum item database, it's far from perfect. Its completeness is lacking and it has its errors, this being one of them.

Yes, that would be it. I'm glad this one has been found, for during the many months since the thread was truly alive I managed to forget where this target was located and so I wouldn't be able to give any hints, not until I'd refind it myself anyway.

16. Jojobobo

Well if I hadn't found it by chance I doubt I would have found it for a long time, it's a very unusual item for a villager to have in their possession.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Some found targets from today's hunt:

Elf noble in the Wellington Gentlemen's Club in Tarant.

Half orc villager in the Thirsty Soul in Stillwater.

18. Jojobobo

Indeedy-do on both counts. It seems like Stillwater has a lot of people with wrong clothing sprites for whatever reason. Now that two more of my targets have been found I'll post up a new target. It's pretty exciting in terms of useless Arcanum paraphernalia, and it makes the thread come full circle. Without further ado it's...

• A second electrical component!! (So for people who don't want to check back, not the one found in Mr Plough's warehouse)

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

20. Deman

Deman Member

Hurray, activity has finally been restored here.

I just want to make it clear that I wasn't trying to come off as an ass here and I'm sorry if it seemed so. That was the only adder empress that I knew of so I just went for it.

Those two were indeed questions, now solved ones I guess.

1) Apprenticeship in the throwing skill is all that's required to get the throwing master quest. So that's why I'm interested in a slight raise in that skill.

2) Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case here. I thought that maybe you had to inform someone about your ill deeds to acquire the reps, since simply killing the persons in question was not enough. Couldn't find anything that would indicate this however, when I searched some of the dialog files.
    Interestingly enough, the "Killer of the beautiful Clarissa Shalmo" reputation, should have caused the guards of Caladon to react differently towards you.

Now let us turn to the Blessings & Curses page. Do you or anyone else know if it's possible for Stringy Pete to curse your character? As with the above, killing the Williamsons doesn't make this happen and neither can you mention it to Pete.

Yes, casting the spells by yourself, meaning that you somehow have to get your hands on the two spell scrolls which are continually spawning in Kerghan's inventory.
    There's nothing particularly noteworthy about the spells, other than that Kerghan's variant of Quench Life means instant death for most creatures when it's used against them. I believe that the damage it causes is related to your magickal aptitude, as it might explain why the spell isn't too lethal when Kerghan casts it.

It's indeed this creature that I was referring to. I was actually quite surprised when I stumbled upon this one-of-a-kind creature.
    A tip for this one; you'll have to use any sort of range attack to defeat it.

Our Host!