Very strong beer.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Feb 26, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with beers between 9-13% alcohol. Stupidly, I just finished a "wheat wine" of 12 oz. and 11.5% ABV in less than 10 minutes, when I normally only drink any beer in an hour. This without having eaten anything today.

It was Leviathan Triticus, of Harpoon's Leviathan series - the weakest beer in the series is 8.9%, with a series average of 9.785%. I go for beer efficiency ahead of volume - and if it happens to be delicious, then all the better. Just have to drink more slowly.

ABV comparison - 11.5% per 12 oz (beer bottle) equivalent to 23% per 6 (wine glass), and of course equivalent to 92% per 1.5 (shot).

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

King Cobra is nice, though perhaps a little weaker than what you're looking for at 8% ABV. Also there's Duvel at 6.8% ABV, again weaker than those you listed but stronger than most lagers. Both have my guarantee that they can get you drunk in a short space of time.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I tend to buy beers and ciders that are around the 7% mark, simply because they are the most cost-effective means of providing what, let's be honest, alcohol is for.

4. Grossenschwamm

Interesting, I'll see if I can find them.

I didn't mean to imply that I only drink strong beers, as I had an amazing Rye IPA just last night with 6.6%, and I also enjoy a nice heady Guinness - I believe they're at 3.5%. I mainly buy these stronger beers to see if the beer is made well enough that I can't taste the alcohol - in Leviathan Triticus and Leviathan Quad, I certainly can't, and it definitely doesn't hurt that the hops involved in brewing these beers gives them a fruity aroma. My favorite beers tend to hover between 3.5% and 7%, with exceptional deviations like the two I just mentioned. Ales, Lagers, Stouts, Lambics, Porters - all fair game.

And to think, alcoholic beverages used to be healthier than drinking the water they're made with.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Have you tried Duchesse de Bourgogne? Takes some getting used to, but it's a classy beverage. Oh, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

6. Grossenschwamm

Young's? I know where I can get that up here - it's right around the corner from where I live!

I'm curious about Boon Geuze, as well. It's a Lambic, and it comes directly from Belgium, so the shipping cost directly affects the price more than any other transported beverage I've looked at.

I'll need to see if I can find Duchess de Bourgogne, but I've had other red ales I've thoroughly enjoyed.

7. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

It would have been cool to try this beer. Fairly certain they don't produce it anymore, thought.

8. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

When I was in Holland, I tried the now second strongest beer, I think it was 41%. They also had the Atomic Penguin, but this one was a bit stronger.

I usually drink the one's around 7%, but for a cheap and fast drunk, I'll go with one's on 10,5%.

9. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Had some great imports over the Holidays:
    Santa's Butt, Reindeer Droppings, Criminally Bad Elf, Criminally Insane Elf, Mad Elf, and some Peat Smoked Porter. They all tasted great and fell within the range of 9%-12% abv. Some were in pint-and-a-half bottles and went down smooth, so if you weren't careful you woke up under the table only a few hours into the night.

Mad Elf was the best. Made by Troeggs (sp?) right here in good ol' PA. All the rest were recipes from England. Good seasons...good seasons.

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Tried some Grumpy Troll Beer from Little Norway Wisconsin in November. Not as strong as it claimed, since I downed the whole quart in one night.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    One time, in Belgium, I had a beer. It was much stronger than I thought.

I ended up vomiting in the car park.

Never really liked beer anyway.

13. Grossenschwamm

Unfortunately, it's not for everybody. I'm on a quest to try as many different varieties, and every permutation of variety subcategories as I can, before I die. Over 100 different beers at this point, but there are thousands of ways to brew beer...so I have to drink harder, dammit!

14. GrimmHatter

15. Grossenschwamm

Kinda what I meant. I had a Futurama dialogue running in my head.

16. GrimmHatter

If you win a trip to the Slurm Factory I'm going too.

17. Charonte

Charonte Member

[​IMG]

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmOvgwhbMW4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmOvgwhbMW4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

19. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    It's not my fault I was born with a sensitive liver. You guys are big meanies!

20. Grossenschwamm

From the looks of their website, they do - but the site's closed until Today.

Looks like the process is fairly simple, if simple means aging a stout for a year and then freezing the water out of the beer to increase alcohol content. I'd enjoy trying that myself so I don't need to pay for shipping.

Our Host!