Spell Icons - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, Mar 5, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

New spell icons

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Do you like those spell icons in Arcanum? I never liked them, and I think that they're quite confusing.

I'm thinking about making a new replacement icons, for both Arcanum, and OpenArcanum, (probably) using this icon pack: http://opengameart.org/content/700-rpg-icons

Do you also think that the icons should be bigger, or rather smaller? :thumbup:

2. Crypton

Crypton Member

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I like the icons as they are personally, they always seemed fitting and the right size. I like how the symbols used in them don't have any significance in the real world (or at least not that I'm aware of) making the icons seem more mystical and esoteric. I like the sort of sparkly aspect to them as well and the subtle colouration - I think it's appropriately magick-y. Those symbols that you've given a link to seem more in the style of an action rpg, like Diablo II, in my opinion.

Still everyone thinks differently about these things, and I'm sure quite a few people would agree with you. You could just release the replacement icons as a small hack that people can download and apply if they choose.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thanks for your input! ;)

Yep, that's the plan. Those new icons are going to be an optional replacement, as part of the new user interface. There is going to be a switch in options menu, where you may choose between the original and new UI, gameplay style, etc.

6. Jojobobo

Sounds like a good idea and a fairly stream-lined, uncomplicated way to make the change. If it's that simple to apply and revert back to the originals I'd probably download it anyway.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

8. rychek

rychek New Member

Arcanum's spell icons could use an overhaul. On another unrelated note it would be nice to see skill requirements on found schematics.

To elaborate on that, the number 85 and a mechanical symbol isn't easy to understand for first time players

Even if it just said
    Associate of chemistry

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That would be misleading. It would imply a specific tech degree is necessary to use the schematic - one which can very well be used by a person with a lower tech degree and some tech manuals.

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It's easy enough to edit each schematic found in the game to include such information, but by easy I also mean tedious. Then again, I've spent hours writing custom backgrounds for Arcanum, and the same basic process is involved there.

11. Jojobobo

I always found it was easy to just make a scale up of what tech degree equalled what number value of that tech discipline so I could decide how many points to invest in it. It can easily be done with Virgil's cheat menu, or just by quickly leveling up a high IN character.

Our Host!