Can't get it out of my head...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Sep 17, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I had to think about it but yeah I get it now, limbo doesn't sound like a fun place.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I...haven't seen it.

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

It's among the better movies lately, but it didn't live up to the hype.

4. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Bullet time, baby!

Except... sadly this is not true. We are not all an adrenaline surge away from having superhero reflexes. What happens during times of stress is that perception memory gets recorded in more detail, so when you look back at the event it seems as though lots more was happening, and the way your brain interprets it is that time moved slower. But actually, your perceptions were only as quick as they usually are - you just paid more attention to them.

5. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

They made some experiments with lucid dreaming. Lucid dreams happen at real time.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Kylie Minogue

Kylie Minogue

Kylie Minogue

Australian

Kylie Minogue

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

A pox on you, uploader!

It's just as well. It probably wasn't worth interrupting my Michelle Branch YouTube marathon, anyway.

9. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Didn't you hear? The UK bought Kylie back in the early 90s. She's not yours any more.

10. Grossenschwamm

11. Xyle

Xyle Member

I think it would have been quicker if you had simply said something to the effect that our bodies don't get faster. Which was what I was anticipating before I encountered info about the perception memory.

However, you can have increased reaction time, not via increasing your bodies speed, but by moving at an earlier moment. And while you can't see the bullet being fired, you might see the muscles of the trigger finger beginning to move, and, knowing the trajectory of the bullet based on the direction of the gun, anticipate the bullet before it gets to your body. Of course, the easiest way to dodge a bullet is to start moving as soon as the gun begins to point at your body.

12. Grossenschwamm

I never said we got faster, I just said our relative perception of events was increased. If people got that much faster from adrenaline surges, their bodies would break in so many places they'd be in traction for the rest of their lives.
    You guys need to stop assuming what I "actually" mean from what I'm saying. Just read what I write, don't put extra information there that I never mentioned just because I have a history of mental issues.
    "Oh, he said our brains can dilate our perceptions! He must ALSO think we can move at super speed during these times!"
    I already gave an example of how what I said works; the way a common dragonfly would perceive a movie. Did I ever say "This allows our hair to DEFY GRAVITY, lets us DODGE BULLETS, and SCREAMING INCREASES OUR STRENGTH!"? Because screaming totally does make you stronger, and makes your hair defy gravity. And, by that point, you don't need to dodge bullets (though you totally could), because they'd bounce off of your body like corks.

13. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Yeah Xyle, stop trying to explain what a reflex is in your own cack-handed way just because Grossenschwamm doesn't understand what it means!

14. Grossenschwamm

Oh, I see what you did there.
    You know Xyle is instantly going to assume I was talking to him now, right? Of course you do...that's why you said it.

15. Xyle

Xyle Member

That was my assumption anyways because you posted right after I did ... then I read it and challenged my assumption.

16. Grossenschwamm

I was composing my post as you made yours, and ended up posting after you did. I probably should've edited a quote from Smuel in there too. It took a while cause I was trying not to sound like a tremendous ass while responding. I do that enough as-is, but, we all do what comes naturally I guess.

17. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Neither did I, I said "superhuman reflexes". A reflex is basically the time delay between your senses receiving some stimulation and your brain sending out the signals to react to it. If your brain is processing events faster, then your reaction time would decrease, and you might be able to perceive a movie as a series of still images.

However, this does not actually happen. The perception that "time slows down" during a stressful event is an illusion created by the brain when it is later remembering the event, due to increased fidelity of recorded memories during a time of stress. In fact, reaction times and processing speed does not change at all during the event itself. And that means you don't get a "bullet time" effect, which, by the way, is the name for when a movie or game goes into slo-mo duing an action sequence. I never suggested that you would gain the ability to dodge bullets - that was Xyle, who you were apparently not responding to, even though your post followed his and addressed something written in it.

You need to start following your own advice.

18. Grossenschwamm

I'm familiar with bullet time, I've seen The Matrix.
    Note that I didn't say we gained dilated relative "knowing." Saying that would imply you knew how much information you were taking in at the time. I unfortunately described it, but I used "perception," which is a passive trait of senses. Your memory of a particular event while in this expanded memory is due to dilated perceptions.
    Hyperthemasia is related to what you're saying, but none of those people ever talk about events in slow-motion or watching movies frame by frame, probably because they're not riding an adrenaline wave 24-7; they just have high-fidelity autobiographical memories.
    Look, I understand that you're saying, and my experience of reading it was soured by having it in another post (and rarely being able to fall asleep). I erroneously figured if that's how Xyle responded to your post, then there must've been something about super-speed in there. I normally skim over quotes in a post because I've probably already read them, but in this case I never actually saw your post on the previous page. If I responded to anyone else who had quoted you and said something like Xyle did, I'dve been safer in my assumption. However, I don't entirely read Xyle's posts anymore (I didn't read the first sentence of his post and instead only read the body), so I didn't really get a decent picture of what either of you said.
    You could've pointed out I was using the wrong phrase for what I was describing (which would be dilated relative knowing), and that "perception" is a passive trait of the senses, leading to dilated relative perception accurately describing what you said. I might've read your post more thoroughly, maybe not, but the opportunity was there. Still, this is my fault.
    Yes, I should follow my own advice, and I really try to most of the time. I just stopped reading Xyle's whole posts since his physics thread, since I discovered he doesn't read all of mine (or or the posts of anyone else). It's unfortunate that I brought it up in one of the threads where I don't do it myself.
    I know my dream didn't actually last two months, but it wasn't in slow motion either. This just means that, given what you said, I don't have an explanation for my dream.

Our Host!