The Truth (As I see it)

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by Grossenschwamm, Apr 16, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

I like dissecting arguments into little bits. Sue me.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to carry on replying to this thread any more, it's not worth the effort. You've beat me Xyle, I bow to your vast knowledge of computer chips and the like. All you other crazy kids, have fun.

3. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Actually, much though it pains me to do, I have to give Xyle credit for accurately quoting a movie about kung fu. In mandarin, kung fu, (or as it would be more accurately written, "gong fu") does literally translate to "hard work".

These days it is almost exclusively used to refer to martial arts, however, the movie that was quoted is set in a historical context, when "kung fu" probably retained its original meaning, and therefore, Xyle's point is not incorrect. It is merely irrelevant.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You're an idiot then. It is painful to everyone involved and it doesn't make you look any smarter.

5. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

He invited you to sue him, not to call him an idiot.

6. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Case closed.

Edit: Found this as a recommended video while watching Wife Swap. Warning: mute!

7. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

The Forbidden Kingdom was the worst Kung Fu movie I've seen the past... 3 months (Game of Death 2 was worse). And if I were to say "Traditional Chinese Martial Arts," people lack the familiar term. Not to forget that Kung Fu is used in context of martial arts by many people, and only those like Xyle, who have to make a fuss about every word insist on being anal about it.

Don't forget that killing innocents when waging war is considered a "war crime." So our brave soldiers in the Middle East aren't allowed to shoot unarmed civillians, to give an example.

P.S. Repeat to yourself: "it's just a show, I should really just relax." But replace "a show," with "my life."

8. Xyle

Xyle Member

@Kierkegaard

Silence can be immoral when someone holding their tongue while fully knowing that their failure to speak will result in someone's death.

The rest I will need to consider your worldview on the matter to see if I even a means to reply.

9. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

If you thought my intent was to look smart, you are sorely mistaken.

@Xyle: If you want to know my entire worldview on the matter, you'll have to shoot me a PM. It's pretty tl;dr.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Oh ok, because you said that wasn't your intent I'll believe you. That or you just realised you're an idiot and want to cover your tracks now. I am leaning towards the latter.

11. wayne-scales

12. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

Yeah, I hate it when idiots become self aware. That Kierkegaard fellow sure is a douche.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Glad we have come to an agreement. Only took 33 pages.

14. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Okay, topic over. Let's open another one.

15. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Hey, back on page 20 or so, ytzk and I came to an agreement about ancient Hebrew not really having an integrated system of mathematical semantics or something.

If you haven't been paying attention, I'm going to demand you re-read the entire thread.

16. Xyle

Xyle Member

Vast knowledge? I speak of a few tidbits of knowledge that were useful for understanding the progession of computer technology, and I have vast knowledge?

It is easy to accurately quote a movie when you use turn on the subtitles and pause the movie every few seconds.

17. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

A true master can quote a wuxia or jidaigeki movie months, or even years after seeing it (at least, if it was a good movie).

18. Xyle

Xyle Member

What fuss? I liked the movie. I especially liked the part that I quoted and I wanted to share. Especially the part that I put in my sig: "Learn it all, then forget it all." If I just quoted the part that I put in my sig, it would not have made sense.

Anal? Yep, that's me. Completely anal retentive. I need to loosen up. But then, I don't get anal about other people's quotes, so why should you have a problem with it?

I agree that killing innocents is murder.
    But don't forget that the rules of warfare have changed over the centuries. It is typically illegal to criminally prosecute someone for committing a crime that wasn't a crime when it was committed.

-- Arguing by Implying: the only question is "Are we really arguing?" --

Reminds me of the line that goes something like "Life - no one gets out alive." Too bad I can't remember the rest of the joke.

19. wayne-scales

Remember the good old days, when this thread was dead?

20. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

It's alive! Fritz, ve did it, ve haff revived a "thread"!

("Yeth, mathter.")

Yeah "don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway."

Uh, and with fuss, I was talking not about the movie, but about how a couple of your arguments were based on the definition and usage of words.

Our Host!